Remote camera captures images of central coast wolves fishing

Derby

Crew Member
Remote camera captures images of Central Coast wolves fishing
MARK HUME
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Nov. 06 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Last updated Wednesday, Nov. 06 2013, 10:22 AM EST

Using a remote camera set up on a river in the Great Bear Rainforest, an environmental group has captured rare video footage of wolves fishing for salmon on British Columbia’s rugged Central Coast.
Ian McAllister, a wildlife photographer and executive director of Pacific Wild, said over the years he’s spent countless hours haunting riverbanks, praying for a shot of a wolf catching a salmon. Now he’s got high-definition images streaming into his office, near Bella Bella, showing entire packs of wolves splashing through the shallows, ducking their heads under water to catch fish.
The activity is so rarely seen that it wasn’t until a decade ago that scientists finally got proof that wolves hunt salmon.
But Mr. McAllister, who has produced several coffee-table books on bears and wolves, says he now sees that kind of behaviour almost daily, thanks to the remote camera feed.
“I can’t tell you how many weeks I’ve spent, sitting in the rain, getting up before dawn in the pitch black and quietly waiting, only to fail to see a single wolf catch a salmon,” he said. “With this recent camera we placed on a salmon spawning river, I witnessed more [wolves] catching salmon in just a couple of weeks … than I have in 20 years of being out there trying to observe that first-hand.”
Interviewed by satellite phone from his boat in the Great Bear Rainforest, Mr. McAllister said it took years of research to find the right technology.
“The initial goal was to stream live high-quality, high-definition footage from some of the most remote parts of the coast. And with the mountains and fjords that proved to be a difficult task,” he said. “But over the past couple of years our team has developed a system of wireless transmission so that we can now site these cameras 50 miles from our office. We’re streaming live over the Internet [on the Pacific Wild website] and we’re doing it predictably in some of the most extreme environments.”
Mr. McAllister, who spends much of his year staking out river estuaries photographing wildlife, said he first saw a wolf chasing salmon about 20 years ago, but at that time nobody believed him because it was undocumented behaviour.
“At first we saw all these headless salmon in the rivers and thought it was just the [feeding behaviour] of a few individual bears. Then … around 1992-93, I first saw a glimpse of a wolf on a river catching a salmon. But it was just a passing glimpse. So to have this remote technology where we wake up every morning and have this video of a pack of wolves coming down into the river is remarkable.”
Mr. McAllister said in some ways the remote camera technology is better than observing live.
“What I’ve really noticed is that when you are in the field, trying to do everything right, being down wind, and you think the wolves aren’t aware of your presence in the valley, they are always glancing in your direction. They always seem to know that someone is there and it does change their behaviour,” he said. “But when we’re watching with this remote camera they are never glancing at it, never staring at it. It’s a much more natural experience in terms of watching wildlife behaviour.”
Mr. McAllister said Pacific Wild has also set up a remote camera on the outer coast to observe sea lions, passing killer whales and marine birds. But his real dream is to get a thermal imaging camera on a river, so he can get shots of cougars and wolverines feeding on salmon – activity which he feels certain is happening, but which he has been unable to photograph so far.
“We’d like to start exploring nocturnal behaviour, and I think that’s really going to open our eyes to some of the really spectacular predator-prey relationships that we have in the rain forest,” he said. “We know that cougars are feeding on salmon, but it’s not being documented because they are doing it at night.”

> Hi All
> Our buddy Ian McAllister in Shearwater at Pacific Wild http://www.pacificwild.org has just started a crowd funding campaign to raise $ for installation of more remote live streaming video cameras in active wilderness locations. He wants to get underwater and night vision cameras going. See short video explaining the purpose http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/great-bear-live
> McAllister's organization does excellent work in bringing awareness to protect this unique coastal environment. Please consider donating to the campaign and to pass this on to others on your contact list. Thank you. Paul
>
> http://www.pacificwild.org
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/great-bear-live

The activity is so rarely seen that it wasn’t until a decade ago that scientists finally got proof that wolves hunt salmon.

The problem with scientists is that sometimes they dont take the time to talk to the locals!

This behavior is NOT new. First Nations , local residents and seasonal fisheries workers could have told them this behavior is not unusual. Personally , myself and my crew chased off a pack of 6 wolves on a small Central Coast stream way back in the 70s We counted over 1500 fresh dead pinks with their brains ripped out (bears do this as well) Some of the fish that had been caught but still had their heads intact, were still flipping on shore.

In times of surplus, wolves and bears will just eat the choice (at least to them) bits. Surprisingly these wolves preferred the brains over the roe.

> Hi All
> Our buddy Ian McAllister in Shearwater at Pacific Wild http://www.pacificwild.org has just started a crowd funding campaign to raise $ for installation of more remote live streaming video cameras in active wilderness locations. He wants to get underwater and night vision cameras going. See short video explaining the purpose http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/great-bear-live
> McAllister's organization does excellent work in bringing awareness to protect this unique coastal environment. Please consider donating to the campaign and to pass this on to others on your contact list. Thank you. Paul
>
> http://www.pacificwild.org
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/great-bear-live

You do realize this is an anti hunting group? http://www.pacificwild.org/site/our-work/stop-the-trophy-hunt.html

The problem with scientists is that sometimes they dont take the time to talk to the locals!

This behavior is NOT new. First Nations , local residents and seasonal fisheries workers could have told them this behavior is not unusual. Personally , myself and my crew chased off a pack of 6 wolves on a small Central Coast stream way back in the 70s We counted over 1500 fresh dead pinks with their brains ripped out (bears do this as well) Some of the fish that had been caught but still had their heads intact, were still flipping on shore.

In times of surplus, wolves and bears will just eat the choice (at least to them) bits. Surprisingly these wolves preferred the brains over the roe.

I seem to recall that the wolves can get a parasite or something from eating salmon meat so they have learned to eat only the brains.

Off the top of my head so I could be wrong.

Take care

Very good people and a really valuable "watchdog" of the central coast. They're definitely not anti hunting but the trophy grizz hunts on the central coast would be something they are against.

Well-- if it walks like a duck......quacks like a duck....... you know the rest.

This outfit supports not only trying to stop a griz hunt, but also black bears on the QCI. (basically done deal) They also are lobbying to stop sport hunting of wolves ( even in the Peace where it has been demonstrated that wolves are not endangered) and have also stated they want trapping of wolves stopped. You are naive if you think that other species will not be included in their campaign. I would suggest if they get people to donate dollars that enable them to blitz us with another advertizing campaign, telling the people living in Vancouver that anyone who hunts is a neanderthal , our sport hunting and food gathering WILL be affected .... And-- gee whiz--- bears and wolves and trees need ALL the salmon so lets get rid of the nasty sport fishermen while we are at it!!!!!!!
After all- we really dont NEED to hunt or fish-- we can buy beef from feedlots loaded with hormones , and we can buy all sorts of farmed salmon !

Back to the topic,
I suggest it’s not only coastal wolves that eat salmon. In the early 70’s I was a junior field tech for the International Pacific Salmon Fisheries Commission, and was based on the upper Horsefly River. My job was counting spawning sockeye in the area and while on Mckinley Creek, a major spawning tributary, I came upon an area where it was obvious by the tracks in the sand and gravel a few wolves had been hunting and catching sockeye in the creek. A few small bones left, a few operculums, not much waste really. That is the only time I have seen this, or even heard of it, so would be interested if others here have any experience with interior wolves catching and eating fish, not necessarily salmon.

Well-- if it walks like a duck......quacks like a duck....... you know the rest.

This outfit supports not only trying to stop a griz hunt, but also black bears on the QCI. (basically done deal) They also are lobbying to stop sport hunting of wolves ( even in the Peace where it has been demonstrated that wolves are not endangered) and have also stated they want trapping of wolves stopped. You are naive if you think that other species will not be included in their campaign. I would suggest if they get people to donate dollars that enable them to blitz us with another advertizing campaign, telling the people living in Vancouver that anyone who hunts is a neanderthal , our sport hunting and food gathering WILL be affected .... And-- gee whiz--- bears and wolves and trees need ALL the salmon so lets get rid of the nasty sport fishermen while we are at it!!!!!!!
After all- we really dont NEED to hunt or fish-- we can buy beef from feedlots loaded with hormones , and we can buy all sorts of farmed salmon !

I know these people and their outfit personally. I would suggest your comments are somewhat alarmist. In fact they are on the record as pro-hunting for sustenance and food. As for sport hunting wolves and grizzlies... In my opinion this is a small minded pursuit. Would any of us kill a 200lb Hali for a picture and then throw all the meat away? Don't think so... U kill
It, u eat it. Trophy hunting and hunting of non-edible animals is something that needs to end- the sooner the better.

Back to the topic,
I suggest it’s not only coastal wolves that eat salmon. In the early 70’s I was a junior field tech for the International Pacific Salmon Fisheries Commission, and was based on the upper Horsefly River. My job was counting spawning sockeye in the area and while on Mckinley Creek, a major spawning tributary, I came upon an area where it was obvious by the tracks in the sand and gravel a few wolves had been hunting and catching sockeye in the creek. A few small bones left, a few operculums, not much waste really. That is the only time I have seen this, or even heard of it, so would be interested if others here have any experience with interior wolves catching and eating fish, not necessarily salmon.

Hardly surprising. Did you not notice bear sign? There are quite a few of them at McKinley Creek, especially when the sockeye are thick.wolf05.jpg

What have bears to do with this? Of course there are bears there, both black and grizzly ... That fish in your picture is obviously coastal, not an interior salmon; male pink I think. Are you backing my suggestion that interior wolves catch and eat salmon?

How do you know it wasn't a bear? You didn't say you saw firsthand a wolf eating let alone catching a sockeye. I worked the McKinley fence a few times years ago and there were bears everywhere and wolf sign. Same as the Mitchell. Wolf sign everywhere so why would it be surprising? And just because you saw wolf tracks dosent mean anything except assumptions. You really don't need a thesaurus for this....lol

Davey, are you butt hurt? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

This wolf fishing behavior is NOT new. First Nations , local residents and seasonal fisheries workers could have told them this behavior is not unusual. Personally , myself and my crew chased off a pack of 6 wolves on a small Central Coast stream way back in the 70s We counted over 1500 fresh dead pinks with their brains ripped out (bears do this as well) Some of the fish that had been caught but still had their heads intact, were still flipping on shore.

Actually Cube - there are 50+ yrs of streamwalkers reporting wolf predation on salmon, West Coast salmon scientists have known about this as long; and the FN knew about this some 10,000 yrs ago.

This is NOT new or novel info (as you pointed-out) for these groups, and most of them find it insulting that Ian and whatever his current fund-raising NGO is - claim that "for the 1st time" scientists (read: only THEIR experts) have seen this "novel" behaviour - so everyone notice that Raincoast, or now somebody called something"wild" has seen this - so give them money to support their lifestyles.

As with all NGOs - they have to fund raise. All claim they have built a better mousetrap in order to keep getting the cheese from their funders. They protect their funding source from the great unwashed, and often lie or expand the truth to their funders in order to be the 1st in line at the cheese handouts. Raincoast and whatever-Wild re-incarnation Ian has developed after "leaving" Raincoast all subscribe to the same formula.

They stock the front-end field portion with young, ambitous often urban folk who are well-intended filled with messages developed at the higher levels, but are often naive; behind the fund-raising end of things and how they utilize the data - there are many snakes.

ALWAYS ask where are they getting their money from, who they are representing, who owns and has access to the data and the footage, what the intent of the study is, and who develops the recommendations from the data. Look at who is on the Board of Directors, and what other boards they are on, and look at what processes they are involved in, and what letters they have already sent to Sue farlinger and other upper-level DFO-types. That will tell you their real intent. Take nothing at face value.

Do they do good work, and perform a necessary task? Maybe, but not all the time with all NGOs and all individuals. There needs to be a long-term trust developed. trust is developed through sharing info and resources. MOST (but not all) NGOs seem to reluctant to share the cheese.

Personally: I find T. Buck Suzuki, Ecotrust and Pembina the best of the lot; Sea Sheperd, IFAW, and some other NGOs on the other side of that spectrum.

Actually Cube - there are 50+ yrs of streamwalkers reporting wolf predation on salmon, West Coast salmon scientists have known about this as long; and the FN knew about this some 10,000 yrs ago.

This is NOT new or novel info (as you pointed-out) for these groups, and most of them find it insulting that Ian and whatever his current fund-raising NGO is - claim that "for the 1st time" scientists (read: only THEIR experts) have seen this "novel" behaviour - so everyone notice that Raincoast, or now somebody called something"wild" has seen this - so give them money to support their lifestyles.

As with all NGOs - they have to fund raise. All claim they have built a better mousetrap in order to keep getting the cheese from their funders. They protect their funding source from the great unwashed, and often lie or expand the truth to their funders in order to be the 1st in line at the cheese handouts. Raincoast and whatever-Wild re-incarnation Ian has developed after "leaving" Raincoast all subscribe to the same formula.

They stock the front-end field portion with young, ambitous often urban folk who are well-intended filled with messages developed at the higher levels, but are often naive; behind the fund-raising end of things and how they utilize the data - there are many snakes.

ALWAYS ask where are they getting their money from, who they are representing, who owns and has access to the data and the footage, what the intent of the study is, and who develops the recommendations from the data. Look at who is on the Board of Directors, and what other boards they are on, and look at what processes they are involved in, and what letters they have already sent to Sue farlinger and other upper-level DFO-types. That will tell you their real intent. Take nothing at face value.

Do they do good work, and perform a necessary task? Maybe, but not all the time with all NGOs and all individuals. There needs to be a long-term trust developed. trust is developed through sharing info and resources. MOST (but not all) NGOs seem to reluctant to share the cheese.

Personally: I find T. Buck Suzuki, Ecotrust and Pembina the best of the lot; Sea Sheperd, IFAW, and some other NGOs on the other side of that spectrum.

Well said.

Yes, extremely well said, agentaqua.

And yes, it's a pity that when looking at websites such as McAllister's, one of the first words that comes to mind is PROMOTION. The good intentions were probably there when he first decided to call people's attentions to the GBR with photographs and coffee table books, but once the seed started to germinate and grow, it eventually became larger then him and now he's forced to shovel money into it any way he can get it and eventually, good intentions get replaced by shameless hucksterism and the queasy smell of exclusivity (wolves catching salmon and who saw it first...)

Very reminiscent of Timothy Treadwell, aka Grizzy Man. Alcohol and drugs, a Hollywood wannabe--- no visible means of support other then a stunning naiveté. Then by chance, he stumbles into the world of Katmai grizzly bears and he's just astute enough to realize he can make money off those bears.

But in order to milk the Hollywood guys to fund his floatplane tickets and his video equipment, he has to keep escalating the brashness of his game until it becomes only a matter of time before the video camera that captures footage of a grizzly bear diving to the bottom of a lake to pluck rotting sockeye off the bottom (how many of us can claim to ever have witnessed that???) becomes the same recording device that captures the sounds of Timothy Treadwells's crunching bones

The upside of those crunching bones? Now many more people in this world are aware of the Katmai Preserve and the bears that live there and if and when push comes to shove with the Pebble Mine plans for that area, the Herzog film that memorialized Timothy Treadwell could end up being one more arrow in the quiver of public awareness as to the stunning wildness of that part of Alaska, the beauty of its bears, and that perhaps mine tailings and effluent stored behind earthen berms in immense holding ponds could easily spew into the rivers if the berms are ruptured by an earthquake or whatever, so maybe, just maybe, mining in that part of the world with this much biodiversity is not such a great idea....

So yes, guys like McAllister carry double-edged swords with their "good" intentions and "good" actions and yes, the data they collect can be one man's treasure just as easily as another man's poison, but at least SOMEONE is putting those great wild places onto coffee tables in Vancouver and Edmonton and Ottowa---the pictures in those books are compelling enough to make even the most stone-hearted resource extractor take a step back and at least THINK for one minute that there might be both pros AND cons of running a fleet of tankers or an LNG pipeline through that pristine part of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back