whale watching boat sinks

I have it on good authority that the white whale Moby Dick did it! [:eek:)]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Terrible news it's a competitive business and that's one boat of two they own.

If they did hit something it must have been metal what else could damage one of those aluminum scows?

A super job of getting everyone off safely-Congratulations to the Crew for a job well done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Here's what the Province printed:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Wha...hen+boat+sank+Mayne+Island/1821788/story.html

They wrote ..... "Danish tourists on the rescue boat travelling nearby said the engine stopped and they were using water pumps and neither of them worked."

“We were too many people if our boat was going down too it could have been a problem. There were no life jackets. (for the newcomers),” said Hanne Garfort, a tourist from Denmark. We were afraid.”

Also noted ... "the boat's water pumps were technically functioning" - bafflegab?

The overall outcome is the best it could have been under the circumstances ... NO ONE HARMED and thank heavens a near catastrophe was averted!

Let's hope they're covered by replacement insurance.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Here's my question:

If the boat was sinking, WHY didn't the skipper run it up on the nearby beach? [?]

From what I could see in the videos from CTV and Global, the beach was less than 100 yards away and the beach looked suitable for beaching the boat on. Would have made salvage a lot easier and perhaps prevented any fuel spills into the water.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

a friend said one of those boats was towed to shelter island marina the other day and a day later it was working again. I wonder if it hit a log and ripped the leg off.

I am pretty familiar with this boat , I work in the whalewatching business and have a close friend who helmed this boat for several years. it has 6 separate watertight compartments all separately bilged. The"pumps" that did not work were fire pumps that act as water extraction pumps in a emergency. I slow mowed the video of the vessel sinking that was on Chek6 and there was a visible tear below the waterline as well as ,what looked like , several other punctures below the waterline. I don't think a deadhead could do this much damage.
I am very glad no one was hurt in this incident , but it brings up a broader issue of who is driving these boats and what are their qualifications and experience ? I can tell you that anyone who stands on a boat from 5 to 60 tons , regardless of the training provided , takes a course and a oral exam from TC can be in command of one of these boats. I have seem some very frightening things things happen on the water and it was really just a matter of time before something like this happened.

Too bad for the crew... They schmuked-up. Glad all were fine.

What's funny about this (if anything could be funny) is the hysterical commentary on the CTV site, and the ever-present brain-dead demand "the government just have to do something...".

How long has this and the sister boat been operating without incident? And just how many similar incidents in whale watching actually do occur?... Seems to me, they're a lot safer than driving around Victoria, with no injuries too.

Back