West Coast Guides Association

Good idea I live in Comox and most guides from here are members of the Campbell River Association we dont have one in Comox Valley. If you need any help with getting it going Dirty Harry in CR is the Pres and as far as I know he originally got CRs going. It would be good to have our voices put together, even eventually have a Vancouver Island Association, more power in #s.
I dont have Harrys # here at work but Im sure you can find his web site he would be a excellent man to talk to about the ins and outs on getting it going.

Cliff

Its good that you are getting organized..... there IS strength in numbers. But a word of caution. I was asked yesterday by a friend that commercial fishes but also loves sport fishing, why we are bearing our souls on an open board. We are being watched carefully by the commercial sector. No point in telling the world your strategy before you have it in place ------ Right? So I would suggest a carefully monitored listserve or use email and PM s for any infor that you would rather keep within your group.

Cheers All,

I would venture to suggest that not only do we wish to be perfectly transparent in our dealings with both the commercial sector and DFO/Government but that in doing so we will bring along some of the opposition who are
also tired of the games. I have nothing to hide and don't plan on starting now. I am always suspicious of plottings
that cannot stand the 'light of day'.

Your choice-- but if you think telling your opponent what cards you are going to play-- then perhaps you might want to come and play poker with myself and my buds!!!

Duff I've been a member up there for quite a few years so no worries there...we are in the loop....things are moving along quite nicely....way more members coming on-board...........solidly behind the coalition....

Good idea I live in Comox and most guides from here are members of the Campbell River Association we dont have one in Comox Valley. If you need any help with getting it going Dirty Harry in CR is the Pres and as far as I know he originally got CRs going. It would be good to have our voices put together, even eventually have a Vancouver Island Association, more power in #s.
I dont have Harrys # here at work but Im sure you can find his web site he would be a excellent man to talk to about the ins and outs on getting it going.

Cliff

over flow meeting in Port last night....not to worry Bryan we now have a solid board of directors, with decades of experience in all areas of sport-fishing and fisheries issues and have the backing of the entire fleet from the west side.....thx Pat, Paul and David (sorry if I left anyone out )for making it happen....to Derby and Owen for taking the time to inform everyone and bring them up to speed.....full steam ahead boys....

Its good that you are getting organized..... there IS strength in numbers. But a word of caution. I was asked yesterday by a friend that commercial fishes but also loves sport fishing, why we are bearing our souls on an open board. We are being watched carefully by the commercial sector. No point in telling the world your strategy before you have it in place ------ Right? So I would suggest a carefully monitored listserve or use email and PM s for any infor that you would rather keep within your group.

Thanks Gill. Yes it was an overflow crowd. In a word...Amazing!

We also have a really large list of guides who may be interested in joining but were not able to attend the meeting. Lot of interest and agreement that we have much to be gained from working cooperatively together. We already have a healthy bank account, and as Gill points out the Directors who stood up are an amazingly talented group, the who's who of recreational angling on the west coast. We are working on the minutes and our e-mail contact list, so once we get done they will be mailed out. My computer is toast, so it may be a week before I get it back....stealing the wife's lap top when she ain't looking for now.

If anyone has a soft copy of a society charter or terms of reference they could send me as a template we could use I would greatly appreciate that.

Pat

I'm hoping the assoc will be set up with a main board and then local chapters...similar frame work as the SFAB. Then the guides could attend local meetings and a few could report to the main group. Once a year or as deemed necessary we all get together for an annual meeting.

You guys would be amazed at what you can get going with some strong numbers and a decent annual dues structure. There are really good group rates for dental plans, retirement plans, extended health plans, and legal advice...numbers make a huge impact when you put forward the offer to the companies that offer these resources. I was kicked out of a union because they decided our people were managers...and I guess we were, so we formed a provincial group with $1,000.00 a year dues, income tax deductible, and wow....we created a powerful organization which could talk to government, get benefits, and provide serious support for individual members who need some problem solving help. Great to see the organizing....go for it!

Traveller

we have a lawyer on board as a member as of today as well the CTAG program has great advantages like health plan, reduced insurance rates etc etc....all these things will take a little time to run by the membership anyways...its all good

You guys would be amazed at what you can get going with some strong numbers and a decent annual dues structure. There are really good group rates for dental plans, retirement plans, extended health plans, and legal advice...numbers make a huge impact when you put forward the offer to the companies that offer these resources. I was kicked out of a union because they decided our people were managers...and I guess we were, so we formed a provincial group with $1,000.00 a year dues, income tax deductible, and wow....we created a powerful organization which could talk to government, get benefits, and provide serious support for individual members who need some problem solving help. Great to see the organizing....go for it!

Traveller

Yes indeed, huge potential benefits to be explored. Better insurance rates, group plans, tackle purchases, passing along information on changes or interpretations to the angling regulations, group sessions on TP annual inspections. Possibilities are endless. We are in process of obtaining sample constitutions to help us build our own, then organize a meeting to ratify a new constitution.

One possible way to become more inclusive would be to look at area chapters to help expand the ability to connect local guides. At the moment we currently cover Port Alberni, Bamfield, Ucluelet and Tofino. We have contacted the Campbell River Guides Association, and will be trading information. Our plan is also to join the SFI to ensure we stay informed as well as connect on ways we can mutually support one another.

Bottom line, we are making progress and getting organized.

Back