Well, are you ready for the new requirements ???

OldBlackDog

New for 2013/2014:

1. DFO will be continuing the use of the Internet Recreational Effort and Catch
Survey (iREC). Under this program, a selection of recreational licence holders
are contacted via email and asked to provide information about their
recreational fishing activity over a specified period. This information is
provided using an internet survey accessed using an individual survey link
emailed to the licence holder. For more information about iREC, please see the
DFO website:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/onlinesurvey-sondageligne-
eng.htm

2. The Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence outlines the catch records that must
be kept for chinook and halibut caught in any Area and, lingcod caught in the
Strait of Georgia (Areas 12 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5, excluding Subarea 12-
14).

3. A NEW condition of licence will appear on the 2013/2014 Tidal Waters Sport
Fishing Licence:

“Fishers must provide, upon request of a designated DFO representative, the
following: number, species and size of fish kept and released, biological
samples, fishing time and location where fish were caught, fishing gear used
and the number of participating fishers.”

This condition is intended to clarify the responsibility of Tidal Waters
Licence holders for providing catch and effort information. It is now the
responsibility of each licence holder, as a condition of licence, to provide
the following information when requested:
- Number and species of both RELEASED and KEPT fish and shellfish.
- Biological metrics or samples; such as length and/or weight measurements or
tissue and scale samples.
- Fishing time and location where fish and/or shellfish were caught; day and
fishing location at the resolution of Pacific Fishery Management Area
(identified in the Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide).
- Fishing gear used: which method was used to catch fish and shellfish, such as
angling (boat and shore), trapping (boat and shore), beach digging, hand
picking, dive-based or other methods.

This information must be provided on request to a designated DFO
representative. Examples of designated DFO representatives include: DFO
sponsored creel surveyors and internet survey providers as well as Fishery
Officers.

Thing is a lot of the time I don't have time for the creel surveyors to measure my halibut and take samples of my Chinook. Literally do not have time as need to get to hardy buoys or just too damn busy. I'm gonna have to tell them where to go...unless she's cute ;) ha ha

Cheers All...while I understand the need for information two issues become abundantly clear with this type of demand:

1) How reliable will the information be if you force someone to comply - not to mention that Creel Surveyors usually have several persons in wait and I can see many being reluctant to 'give away' fishing information and,

2) The expectation that the information provided will be used in a constructive fashion as we have seen too many times that, despite the best information, DFO has managed to make the worst of many situations so that many will now not see the benefit of providing new info as they have been abandonned too often by DFO and their action/inaction in the past.

Works for me. This is one step closer to accurate data for us rec fishers. I don't mind the creel folks at all. They are just doing a job. Please show respect guys, our reputation is on the line.

If it's the same young gal collecting in Hardy this year I see you finding the time.... :)

I dunno but last yr I'd beg to differ... Lol. When I have time sure but they already get my data with log book. That's doubling down to boot. Plus locations won't always be told accurately as I know they've been told around before

I think it's great that there will be more data to bring transparency to our arguments with DFO.

I can't see most people (including myself) keeping a record of which days they fish, where, how many released, etc. etc.

I can see people just making stuff up to fulfill the requirements. This would hardly be useful data. IMO a waste of taxpayer money.

YEAH the "DATA" they use has gotten us even more closures of area 19/20 now to mid july and season of complete F$%^ up regarding halibut .ive been there done it and im telling you THEY choose not to listen and they make up there "own" data anyways thats is apparently VERY CLEAR!!!!! one only has to look at the voodoo numbers they toss out its the worse flawed system I have ever seen.

Mike if your up for an Internet survey I think they email you before the month so you know in advance to keep a log that month. I've never done one though is that assumption incorrect?

Creel survey people should just be asking about your catch that day. I'm always happy to chat with them if your in a hurry tell them to walk and talk - load your boat while you answer their questions. Usually I'm with two guys so one of us answers the other gets busy. Charter operators have your clients speak to them while you clean fish or something what's the big deal?

Wolf is right though all data collected can be used for or against us. It is what it is though hopefully the increased testing will show ET Frasers are caught more then just area 19 and maybe that will help even out the slot regulation one way or another.

They expect US to supply them with biological samples (scales and tissue)? In order to do it right there is some specific tools and expertise required to achieve this. For scale samples you need tweezers, special scale books and the scales must come from a specific area on the salmon. Tissue samples (I assume for DNA analysis) can usually be collected with a one-hole paper punch through the salmon's operculum (gillplate) the resulting disc must be stored in a vial of ethanol. Lingcod aging is done by clipping dorsal spines and counting concentric rings. I say let DFO do the legwork.

Creel surveys should be private. I love it when they tell you where, when and with what the last 10 people were using but why would I want to share if they are going to tell every weekend warrior. :)

I've had scale samples taken and gill plates punched exactly as you discribe. Don't worry most of the creel guys know what they are doing.

One of the biggest argument the FN and Commercial sectors is that there is poor to no catch accounting for the sport sector. Now before you get all excited may I point out that many here have chosen to pooo-poo the science and stats that the DFO have used to show the sport catch. Now they are changng their tactics to suport the numbers and thus argue witha more on-the-ground count. As with the Creel survey this is important to participate in as if you don't then it just sugests that you are hidding something.

Participate be polite to the creel people as they are doing their job.

I do believe there might be a new reg that says that you can get a ticket for not participating with the creel survey. So just do it its best for the sport in the long run.. If the comments of the past are correct that the DFO numbers are way to high this gives you a chance to prove it.

Good luck out there,

Richard

Been down this road before in the commercial fishery.
Giving false or nil reports will be bad for whatever sector is doing so.
Not sure with the creel surveys, have not had the pleasure yet, but I do not think they ask the lat/long, depth, hootchie and flasher colour.
My guess is that you tell them the sub area you caught the fish you are fine.
Proper seamanship necessitates a log.
There is always time limitations, but a proper log is invaluable to you!
A majority of the highliners, commercial and recreational, keep a detailed log of conditions, location and gear.
You only have to give a summary of this to the survey, the rest is gold to you.
If DFO finds evidence of intentional misreporting, it will hurt all of us.
Some of the commercial guys could not figure this out either, in non-ITQ fisheries, lots of fish is a GOOD thing.
Let em know about it!
If DFO ignores good data from a sector, that gives more ammunition for their demise.
Commercial guys now have cameras and/or onboard observers to provide good data.
Learn from their mistakes!

Gong Show

Back