Weird to say the least

Despy

Was out cruising around Burrard Inlet on saturday after dropping a couple crab traps and a prawn trap up Indian Arm. Happened to see a boat sitting at the mouth of the Seymour so got out the glasses to see what they were up to. This is where it gets wierd.Three guys in about a 14 foot runabout were fishing with reels only, no rods. Decided to head over and soon as we started getting close , they all sat down and one stood up and started fooling around with the motor like they were having problems. We decided to hang around for a bit and after 5 minutes they gave up, fired up their kicker and left. By the way, not sure what species it was but the mouth of the river was alive with salmon jumping like crazy and there was a couple seals in amongst them thrashing away.There was a mixture there, as some of the salmon jumping were quite dark while others were a silver as can be. Saw a couple with some pretty good humps . My quess those could have been chum.
On another note, when we got back to where we had dropped our crab traps, saw 2 oriental gentlemen in a 10 foot aluminum in the process of throwing our trap back in the water. They took off but when a 24 foot bears down on them , they stopped and proceeded to give us some cooked up story about getting the float and rope in their motor. Yeah right, we pull our other trap and it has about 20 crabs in it and when we pulled that one , it had one. These people have dessimated the crabs around Vancouver to the point that we got 5 keepers out of around 100 crabs.
If you want my opinion, the best conservation method available is enforcement. It`s time the government took some of the money they throw away on stupid studies and hire some DFO officers to enforce the laws we have. Our oceans are being poached to death !!!
I have since looked up the phone number to report enfractions in the Vancouver area. For those who wish to give them a hand and report possible offenders , it`s 604.465.4336.

I think I would probably be in deep trouble for what I'd do if I caught two orientals or any other nationality with my crab traps in their hands. A 10 foot boat may not fare well from the wake of a 24 footer:( I gotta admire your restraint:D

quote:Originally posted by Despy

Was out cruising around Burrard Inlet on saturday after dropping a couple crab traps and a prawn trap up Indian Arm. Happened to see a boat sitting at the mouth of the Seymour so got out the glasses to see what they were up to. This is where it gets wierd.Three guys in about a 14 foot runabout were fishing with reels only, no rods. Decided to head over and soon as we started getting close , they all sat down and one stood up and started fooling around with the motor like they were having problems. We decided to hang around for a bit and after 5 minutes they gave up, fired up their kicker and left. By the way, not sure what species it was but the mouth of the river was alive with salmon jumping like crazy and there was a couple seals in amongst them thrashing away.There was a mixture there, as some of the salmon jumping were quite dark while others were a silver as can be. Saw a couple with some pretty good humps . My quess those could have been chum.
On another note, when we got back to where we had dropped our crab traps, saw 2 oriental gentlemen in a 10 foot aluminum in the process of throwing our trap back in the water. They took off but when a 24 foot bears down on them , they stopped and proceeded to give us some cooked up story about getting the float and rope in their motor. Yeah right, we pull our other trap and it has about 20 crabs in it and when we pulled that one , it had one. These people have dessimated the crabs around Vancouver to the point that we got 5 keepers out of around 100 crabs.
If you want my opinion, the best conservation method available is enforcement. It`s time the government took some of the money they throw away on stupid studies and hire some DFO officers to enforce the laws we have. Our oceans are being poached to death !!!
I have since looked up the phone number to report enfractions in the Vancouver area. For those who wish to give them a hand and report possible offenders , it`s 604.465.4336.

you should have called 911, and asked for the RCMP or fisheries for the area. It's called snagging what those guys were doing, and they were trying to be inconspicuous. It's called POACHING!

The guys with the reels---they were meatlining! sad sad sad!!!!

We really need to follow the U.S. in the crab fishery.Go down to Birch Bay and check the closures etc.They don't harvest empty crab.Also try to crab with unmarked floats or any of the other infractions.Recently in Port Moody they busted a couple of asians who had 8 legal size crab in the car and over 30 undersize in the trunk.They claimed they didn't understand.If your born here and work hard pay taxes and follow the rules the courts will prosecute you fully.Come from another country you can do as you please.(Of course I'm only talking about people who break the law)

Back