weather reports

alumaman

What is with Environment Canada's weather reports. We were out on thursday and they were calling for strong winds and it turned out to be gale force which we were in. Today it was for strong winds again and there was barely a breeze. I can see how boaters get into to trouble if you can't rely on the forecasts.

Never count on them. I use them only as an advisory the night before. My experience tells me when it is time to pack it in for the day.

Forget about the victoria weather network unless it is only to tell weather or not it will be sunny or cloudy.

I use the marine weather forecast and check for the latest advisory.

Then there is Big Wave Dave.

Course, the combination of all of these resources put together is what I generally do.

dont listen to the extended forecast either. i find they are rarely accurate. the national weather service seems to be a little more accurate. channel 1 on your vhf

On average I find the reports are WRONG 50% of the time. Seemed much more reliable 10 years ago.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I like to check all the sources and then make my own estimate somewhere in the middle. I think Environment Canada often errors on the side of caution.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Back