WCVI Halibut Anchoring

BigBadBrad

Hey guys, I have set the pick down a ton up north for halibut however never off of the west coast of VCI.... I hear lots of guys on the forum speak about big currents.

I’m going to be fishing for halibut offshore of
Bamfield/Ukee this June and was wondering how hard the current can push on different tides. What website do you use to look at currents for this area? I’m in a smaller 17.5ft fibreglass. Anyone have shed some light about anchoring 5-7 miles offshore of bamfield?

Cheers

BBB

You can get some big currents depending on the tides obviously but they’re all fishable, especially out at big bank sometimes you can get some odd currents that makes it a pain to fish, but after guiding Out of Ukee and Sportfishing it regularly I have yet to encounter a day where you can’t fish because of the currents. Hope that sheds some light

I suspect comments you remember about big currents on the forum may have been speaking about the Halibut grounds off South VI, not the west coast. It is more dangerous here as all that water has to come in and out of JDF to fill up and empty the inside of Vancouver Island and Puget Sound, so it moves faster, especially in some locations. Deep water anchoring on a bad tide/current here, especially with wind that is opposing it, can sink your boat. People in smaller boats are very careful and selective in JDF as to what tides/current they deep water anchor in for Halibut.

Last edited:
I've anchored both offshore from Renfrew/Bamfield and the JDF strait around Victoria. The JDF wins for scarier anchoring, the currents can be unbelievably strong around here. Offshore the biggest hazard is wind and swell, not so much currents. Really the wind is what I am always super cautious of on WCVI, it doesn't take much for it to get ugly, but there are a lot of nice days in the summer. Just takes a lot of planning, and be safe, use a proper setup with safety countermeasures. Always be ready to part ways with your anchor!

Right on!!! Thanks guys. I was planning on anchoring 5-7 miles offshore around some of the humps. What kind of depth do you guys recommend for this area? And certain tide better than the other?

Cheers

I don't have experience in the 5-7mile area for halibut as I fish mainly out of Ucluelet so most of mine is done around amphitrite and Big Bank. But theres lots of Halibut, find something that looks like gravel or pebbles and go for it. Ive had luck actually anchoring and targeting them in 110feet-300feet so I don't think depth is a huge factor. Good bait and put in sometime and I am sure you'll be successful.

I’ve never looked at tides while fishing halibut offshore. I just pick a big lump out near the edge of the bank and anchor right on top of it. Throw some salmon heads down and wait it out. I don’t fish halibut that often because I would never be able to eat my yearly limit but last few times I’ve gone out 5-10 miles off bamfield I’ve limited out quite easily.

Right on!!! Thanks guys. I was planning on anchoring 5-7 miles offshore around some of the humps. What kind of depth do you guys recommend for this area? And certain tide better than the other?

Cheers
top edges of the banks, lee side of the hills

with a 17' boat , make sure you are using a minimum of 50' between you and your scotchman. dont anchor in a tide change in areas like soqel bank. pretty much the fastest and most dangerous current around bam.
message me if ya want some info as you get closer to your trip.

Looking for any info or sites that will show you the directions of the currents depending on the tides around Bamfield and offshore.
Up to now I have just let the boat drift and checked the direction on the chart plotter.
Thanks

Looking for any info or sites that will show you the directions of the currents depending on the tides around Bamfield and offshore.
Up to now I have just let the boat drift and checked the direction on the chart plotter.
Thanks

That’s going to be your best bet, if you fish a particular spot lots you’ll figure out which way your going to drift whether it’s flooding or ebbing but a lot of the time because the current is so weak the wind will actually be over powering the current, not always but a lot of the time, so you’re best bet is normally to drift for abit and get your direction, I usually pull up get a bread crumb trail going and start baiting lines and what not then once I’m ready to fish I’ll drop my anchor depended on which way the plotter showed I was moving so I land on the hump I wanna be on, I now that’s probabky not the answer you were looking for but I have never found a map for current direction in that area and if there was one because of how weak the currents usually are it’d be pretty ususless on most days..

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks for your input.
I really wanted the info.on currents so that I could make a bit of a game plan whilst looking at the charts at home.

Back