WCVI ...doom and gloom or just late?

Pippen

I know in a few threads there has been some doom and gloom about fish heading back into Barkley and the recent totals for the Alberni Derby.

I had mentioned this to Nog last week and he had also heard this, but as of in just the last couple of days they are STILL getting quite a few tyee's and there are still plenty of fish around in Kyuquot. This was from a guide friend who was speaking with the lodge he worked at in the last couple of days.

Cross your fingers.....there still may be a good push on the way. Unfortunately there may be nobody out there to enjoy it! ;)

If I get the word from my buddy in Tofino I have my gear all set and ready to go at a moments notice.....kinda like Maverick in the final scenes of Top Gun....I am on "Alert 5". [:p]

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

Obviously DFO is not concerned what so ever!

Certainly seems to be the case Robert. [V]

Something to consider...
When you remove the "peak" component of any run over the course of a cycle plus, those that do escape to spawn are generally the later component. Over time, given the removals remain constant, the run will become definitely skewed towards later arrivals. This is simply Mother Nature's way of addressing the removals.

I believe this has very much happened in the case of the Stamp. Seven years of aggressive seining, gillnetting by both commercial interests and FN's have had their toll. Not only are the numbers now getting critically low, it very much appears the run timing has shifted to later and later arrivals each passing year.

In this year's case, we are holding out some hope that there will appear another late-timed run to carry the day for the survival of the spring run here. There isn't likely to be any substantial numbers, but should we witness 10,000 or more (as has occurred the past 3 years) in late September - early October then there is optimism for collecting what the hatchery needs, as well as some natural spawning. Holding our breath and very much hoping on this one...

There is no-where else to lay the blame except right at the feet of "management". They "allowed" the carnage to occur here that created the serious problems we face today. No real surprise they remain discretely silent on the situation as it is. One can hope that they might have learned something from this. However, given the track record, methinks that is not overly likely. In fact I for one would not at all be surprised were they to "manage" this, and several other runs, right into extinction. Very Sad... [xx(]

Deny Fumble Obliterate seems to be the order of the day...

And that ain't quite so cheery...
Nog

X2 on both Unknown and IronNoggin points- there is one point that should be looked at thought the Nitinat system has mirrored the bad returns to it's system. I believe that system is not subject to the same abuse? This shows that there is also something happening in the big bad ocean-DFO use both as indicator systems
Just my thought

I emailed the Nitinat Hatchery to ask what they are seeing this year. I asked if the return for Springs was up to expectations and I got this answer.

No. It's very slow so far this year. Also, the river is very low even after the rain and the Chinook are quite small. Seems to be mainly 3 year olds.

Sylvia

Again I will mention the Puntledge fish are still Late or the Seals got them all 4 yrs ago....

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Derby

X2 on both Unknown and IronNoggin points- there is one point that should be looked at thought the Nitinat system has mirrored the bad returns to it's system. I believe that system is not subject to the same abuse? This shows that there is also something happening in the big bad ocean-DFO use both as indicator systems
Just my thought
I certainly do agree with both Robert and Matt!

I think, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but there has been nothing wrong with that big bad ocean, in fact conditions have improved since 2006! However, is there something wrong? I guess that depends on how you look at things? In 1990 DFO released 10,252,836 Chinook smolts from Nitinat, in 2006 they released 3,071,115 - believe that would be this years predominant return? DFO has reduced the Robertson Creek Chinook smolt release by about 2 million per year. Can you say, Pacific Salmon Treaty, No WCVI commercial fleet, and sport fishery - all in one sentence? I believe DFO can! IMHO, Canada (DFO) doesn't see or think there are any reasons to spend money or resources to support a "sport" fishery on the entire WCVI! I also believe their feelings are the "sport" fishery is indeed already supported by other runs, which not only doesn't cost them much of anything, execpt the PST requirements!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

...In 1990 DFO released 10,252,836 Chinook smolts from Nitinat, in 2006 they released 3,071,115 - believe that would be this years predominant return? DFO has reduced the Robertson Creek Chinook smolt release by about 2 million per year...

Yet another FALLACY perpetuated by The Dino. The US has heavily increased their production, and we all see the results. Here, they cut back production in order to "save costs" associated with running the hatcheries. There is simply NO</u> cost savings to be realized (extremely minimum effect) by reducing production. The facility will consume nearly the same amount of coin to run even at reduced production levels. The only way to reduce associated costs is to reduce personnel. Really.

So Charlie, there very much is something in your assumptions. Something The Dino cannot admit, even to themselves. [V]

Nog

You have some very good and true points Charlie:)

When I suggest big bad ocean I'm not only suggestion water temp and available grocery for the fish -yes it been very good.I believe there are other factors.
I believe since the Salmon Treaty-The Alaska troll fleet has shifted area's which they have been fishing springs. There certian runs of springs that have surge back quite nicely since that treaty seems other systems have been taking a beating.The Alaska pollock fishery about 4 years ago had a huge increase in Spring bye catch which it's my understanding DNA testing showed a big number of Alberni-Nitinat fish in it.
I'm only suggesting there is other things at play here.

Gold river /Tahsis area the number of springs has been increasing-have they been dumping more smolts?

I talked to a buddy in Tahsis, appearantly offshore is and has been on fire, lots of springs. Im willing to bet alot of them are headed to the Barclay Sound.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

twenty years ago that I remember that as the Robertson Creek chinook fishery was very poor due to lack of fish for two months in Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet. Apparently, Heavy rains and tides pushed over 100,000 chinooks to enter Somass, Stamp, and Hatchery at full force in 2rd week of October. This story was in newspaper that I remember 20 years ago. It could happen this year who knows.

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

I talked to a buddy in Tahsis, appearantly offshore is and has been on fire, lots of springs. Im willing to bet alot of them are headed to the Barclay Sound.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!
The fish we have been getting the last week seem like Robertson fish. Here's hoping and yet i hate to see the Dino get off the hook at all. [:eek:)]

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Sounds similar to what I heard just north.....I am sitting and waiting. Weird things are happening.....and I for one am just crossing my fingers. If it "happens"....you in Dave??

I know DF-HUH is a gongshow but maybe.....just maybe....something different is happening out there this year.

We have seen runs on the inside headed to the Fraser be all over the map in the past few years; and that's not "just" 35 million sox showing up....it has been notable sways in timing.

If the guys up North of Nootka are catching them in those numbers they gotta be headed somewhere? I'll admit I don't follow the test nets/native openings (if the "really" exist) etc to the extent that others do but these can't be Charlie's fish THIS late?

I learn a ton from these forums in BC as to what is "happening" and believe me; I understand and 'get' the issues. But can anyone say there is not a 'chance' that if there is still hot fishing for big fish north of Nootka that 'maybe' things ain't done yet?

Like Noggy said, don't count out the RCH fish yet...They like showing up at the party late, and I'll be ready at the conny with a big bag of the stinky stuff...;)

Pass the Pack

Tofino yesterday....according to a guide friend.

One tyee hit offshore with "lots of small mediums". :)

Hit 10 springs on an afternoon 4 hr trip yesterday, landed 6. All chrome (even the males) mix of reds and whites. Females still had a ways to go, eggs quite small. The final Chinook spawner numbers along the coast will be know by the end of September/early October.

Hot off the Press:

CHINOOK FORECAST: The 2010 forecast total return of Robertson Creek chinook to the terminal fishing area is 43,000. The combined escapement goal for hatchery and river is 34,000. The available TAC in the terminal area is 9,000.
ESCAPEMENT: The Stamp Falls chinook counters were operational September 3. Chinook escapement through Stamp Falls fishway counters plus chinook counted in the river upstream of Stamp Falls totals approximately 3,500 to date. An escapement count of 582 adults on September 8 is the highest recorded for that date since the counters have been in operation at Stamp Falls. Chinook escapement normally peaks through the Stamp Falls fishway around October 10 and continues to the end October.
BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION: Biological samples will be collected from Alberni Inlet, fish ladders and hatchery racks.
ABORIGINAL FISHING: Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations gillnet Food, Social and Ceremonial fisheries took place in Somass River and Alberni Inlet to 10-mile Point August 29 and September 7. Harvesters have encountered coho and sockeye in chinook net fisheries in Somass River.
COMMERCIAL FISHING: Commercial fisheries are not planned for 2010 due to low forecast abundance of Robertson Creek hatchery chinook.
RECREATIONAL FISHING: Alberni Inlet catch is estimated at 1,174 chinook to September 6. Historic average catch for the same time period (2004-2007) is estimated at approximately 7,147. Barkley Sound chinook catch to September 6 is estimated at 14,938. The chinook fishery in Barkley Sound includes not only Robertson Creek hatchery chinook and other WCVI stocks of chinook, but chinook from other areas of southern B.C. and the U. S.. As such, the chinook total catch to date may not be indicative of the abundance of returns to the Somass River.
NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:Aboriginal – Fishing plans to be discussed for the week of September 10 to 16. Barkley Sound First Nations domestic fisheries are anticipated in Barkley Sound, lower Alberni Inlet and Uchucklesit Inlet. Commercial - No commercial fisheries for Somass chinook are anticipated in 2010. Recreational – The recreational fishery remains at full limits for chinook and coho salmon in Alberni Inlet north of the Hocking Pt. boundary line. The Nahmint Area closure is in effect. Chinook conservation measures are in effect in other portions of Area 23, Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet. Size and or area restrictions are not likely to be required in the next few weeks based on the observed strength of Robertson Creek hatchery chinook returns to date. For more information contact the local DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440If you would like to be removed from the distribution list please call the above number.

Back