Water in Fuel Filter

Baxter

Changed my gas filter/separator for the first time. Last change was a year ago by previous owner.

Some water in filter, and I realize this is probably somewhat normal, filter is doing its job. About a tablespoon at most. (Although us guys tend to over-estimate sizes of things, so probably really 1/4 tablespoon ;) )

Is this a normal amount? I’ve put a total of about 40-50 hours on this filter. Previous owner put 9 hours on the main but who knows the total as he took the original kicker with him. So total use is unknown but not likely less than 60 or so.

(Note: I am quite confident that this is perfectly normal, especially after the winter where condensation can cause moisture etc. I am not really concerned at all, but because this is my first time ever doing this I just want to be certain. Over the years I have learned not to assume things, especially where safety may be concerned)

3F399DD1-1D2D-4ED9-AC12-9DCA1A92DA6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I run portable tanks that sit out in the open, so I am not surprised to see a bit of water in the bottom of my water separating filters. I have not seen water that orange colour before though. My separators do not have a see through bowl,, (considering an upgrade though) so they get changed yearly or about every 100 hours. Looks like you run marked fuel so alcohol should not be a problem, unless that is not marked and is fuel preservative. Remember that the fuel pickup is not at the very bottom of the tank, so you may have more water then you think. Have a look at both your filler and vent hoses to see if there might be a possibility of water getting in from there. I am using a water separating funnel when I fill my tanks and have found a little wafer in the bottom of the funnel at times.

I have not seen water that orange colour before though.

Looks like you run marked fuel so alcohol should not be a problem, unless that is not marked and is fuel preservative.
Ya, not actually orange. I think it is an illusion combined with the sun and marked fuel. Had to hold it in the sun to get a clear photo, but in the shade, there is not much color to it. Kinda weird that it looks so orange in photo.. I skimmed the gas off for the lawnmower, and the water looks more-less clear at the bottom of the jar.

I don't normally run marked, usually I get gas from Costco, but filled up a couple times recently at the CoOp due to convenience so got marked.

There was stabilizer added in December, but I imagine I have gone through all of that by now.

Ya, not actually orange. I think it is an illusion combined with the sun and marked fuel. Had to hold it in the sun to get a clear photo, but in the shade, there is not much color to it. Kinda weird that it looks so orange in photo.. I skimmed the gas off for the lawnmower, and the water looks more-less clear at the bottom of the jar.

I don't normally run marked, usually I get gas from Costco, but filled up a couple times recently at the CoOp due to convenience so got marked.

There was stabilizer added in December, but I imagine I have gone through all of that by now.
Then I would say that amount should be considered normal, however keep in mind that Costco does use ethanol to its 87 octane fuel, and ethanol does attract water.

this orange can be rust in the filter body. if the filter is one season or more old and has had water in it, rust happens.

this orange can be rust in the filter body. if the filter is one season or more old and has had water in it, rust happens.
Ya, not really an orange color to it in real life. Not sure why it looks orange in the photo. Probably related to lighting. I was wearing a reddish color shirt, perhaps light bouncing off of me was "tinting" the water for the photo.

Then I would say that amount should be considered normal, however keep in mind that Costco does use ethanol to its 87 octane fuel, and ethanol does attract water.
In your opinion, would you say I am better off sticking with marked fuel?

I am not opposed to marked, I have heard some people say stick with marked, and others say never get marked.

It seems that with boating stuff there is no single 100% correct answer on anything that everyone can agree on. lol

as long as it does not sit,,, ethanol can eat away at rubber seals etc.. really better off to stay with marked or non ethanol!. i believe it is 91 octane also.

as long as it does not sit,,, ethanol can eat away at rubber seals etc.. really better off to stay with marked or non ethanol!. i believe it is 91 octane also.
Ya, it never really sits. Boat is in the water running at least every other week, at least once a week if weather permits. A few stretches of about 3-4 weeks over the winter just due to that damn wind.

Last edited:
Shell 91 or Chevron 94 if you’re trailering and buying from a station OR marine grade regular off a fuel dock. I’ve learned not to mess up with ethanol. With all the money spent on boating and fishing this is the last thing to go cheap. BTW, your filter is doing it’s job. If you don’t use your boat very often in the wInter, make sure that you add fuel stabilizer in the fall and let the motors run with it before storing your boat. 3-4 weeks of sitting in our cold and damp weather, still demands for fuel stabilizer, IMO.

Shell 91 or Chevron 94 if you’re trailering and buying from a station OR marine grade regular off a fuel dock. I’ve learned not to mess up with ethanol. With all the money spent on boating and fishing this is the last thing to go cheap. BTW, your filter is doing it’s job. If you don’t use your boat very often in the wInter, make sure that you add fuel stabilizer in the fall and let the motors run with it before storing your boat. 3-4 weeks of sitting in our cold and damp weather, still demands for fuel stabilizer, IMO.
Do you happen to know if the marked gas at Coop (in this case Comox) contains ethanol? I believe it is 91 octane, but my brain could be failing me right now, it could be 89.

Do you happen to know if the marked gas at Coop (in this case Comox) contains ethanol? I believe it is 91 octane, but my brain could be failing me right now, it could be 89.
Sorry, I don’t know but I remember reading on a recent thread that COOP is now going up to 5% ethanol.

Sorry, I don’t know but I remember reading on a recent thread that COOP is now going up to 5% ethanol.
Co-op had to put the sticker saying may contain upto 5% ethanol because the tankers can’t guarantee that they were 100% clean before deliveries to the stations

I just noticed that <5% ethanol label at the Co-op marked gas pump last week and was suprised.... and bummed :(

Last edited:
Co-op had to put the sticker saying may contain upto 5% ethanol because the tankers can’t guarantee that they were 100% clean before deliveries to the stations
I hope your right
How did you hear this ? from an official source ?

I hate the thought of running 5% ethanol.

Last edited:
There should never be any ethanol in Marine fuel. You will see an increase in marked gasoline pricing this year as all loading racks will be transitioning to marked supreme fuel from marked mid grade to keep it ethanol free

Back