Washington state ends net pens

What does Washington State know that we don't know??
We all know the same things. It's just that Washington State finally thru the politics aside. DFO Aquaculture will never do the same, IMHO.

There was a good conversation on that Washington State/Cooke court case (if you are interested) earlier at:

I'll tell you what Washington state has that we don't have and this is somthing to consider indefinitely.. they have almost no sport fishing. They get one month a year in one area. Same with prawns. If I lived in Seattle or Bellingham I'd be moving south. Be careful what you wish for. It's almost like bursting a bubble. Everything is a trade off it seems. ******* politics

I'll tell you what Washington state has that we don't have and this is somthing to consider indefinitely.. they have almost no sport fishing. They get one month a year in one area. Same with prawns. If I lived in Seattle or Bellingham I'd be moving south. Be careful what you wish for. It's almost like bursting a bubble. Everything is a trade off it seems. ******* politics
I don't understand your logic
Why did Washington State remove Open Net Pen Fish Farms

I don't understand your logic
Why did Washington State remove Open Net Pen Fish Farms

Wasn't implying logic. Only implying that the further we press and the further the environmentalist press the more rules come and I'm not saying that's what happened, only saying it's very possible when that pattern seems to be very apparent. Without saying too much I hope you get my drift.

The main reason was Cooke Aquaculture.

They are headquartered in New Brunswick and since the day they bought out Icicle Seafoods who used to own the pens, Cooke has shown themselves to be lousy corporate citizens. They had big escapes of Atlantic salmon from their pens back in 2017, then couldn’t get their shiat together to fix the pens that broke apart

Then, the New Brunswick, Canada-based company vastly underreported the number of escaped fish, according to a state investigation. Cooke leaders initially blamed the spill on strong tides tied to the solar eclipse. The claim was debunked.

Investigators found as many as 263,000 of the farm’s fish escaped, not the 160,000 Cooke told the public. The farm held a total of more than 300,000 fish weighing some 3 million pounds. Months after the spill, more than 200,000 were still reportedly unaccounted for.

After the net-pen collapse, Hilary Franz, the state public lands commissioner, ordered inspections of Cooke’s facilities.

Cooke then lost its lease to operate its Port Angeles Atlantic salmon farm after an inspection revealed the farm was not adequately maintained and was outside its leasehold boundaries. Cooke challenged the decision in court, but a Thurston County Superior Court judge ruled in favor of state regulators.

The state Legislature in 2018 passed a law effectively phasing out net-pen farming of exotic species in Washington waters. Cooke has since pivoted to raise steelhead.

DNR determined that Cooke’s operations could pose risks to the state’s natural environment, each of the letters states.

UNQUOTE

There were other numerous infractions that stacked up and got the attention of the the local FN’s like the Swinomish and Suquamish —-as you guys know, once you **** off the tribes your days are numbered....

Wasn't implying logic. Only implying that the further we press and the further the environmentalist press the more rules come and I'm not saying that's what happened, only saying it's very possible when that pattern seems to be very apparent. Without saying too much I hope you get my drift.
Yes, I get it your drift.
We can debate the Fish Farm topic until the cows come home.
Sport Fishing will or will not be further restricted regardless of the Fish Farm issue.
If you believe, like I do, that the Open Net Pen Fish Farms kill wild salmon it will only contribute to more Sport Fishing restrictions.

Yes, I get it your drift.
We can debate the Fish Farm topic until the cows come home.
Sport Fishing will or will not be further restricted regardless of the Fish Farm issue.
If you believe, like I do, that the Open Net Pen Fish Farms kill wild salmon it will only contribute to more Sport Fishing restrictions.

Yep and not only sport but the entire industry as a whole will. Give to get and once that happens it's gone forever

It sounds more like regulatory issues and non compliance than deciding that aquaculture is bad. The company was not complying and not getting better

It sounds more like regulatory issues and non compliance than deciding that aquaculture is bad. The company was not complying and not getting better
Well the same company does not comply in British Columbia waters either but the regulator does not bother holding them to account. The DFO needs to grab some balls and do it’s job looking after Wild Salmon.

Well the same company does not comply in British Columbia waters either but the regulator does not bother holding them to account. The DFO needs to grab some balls and do it’s job looking after Wild Salmon.
Well Terrin Cooke does not have any sites in BC and if you look at the infrastructure they were using it was from the 1980's and years behind the systems used here. They had other compliance issues. Our farms actually have very good compliance, not perfect but then again what business is.

Well Terrin Cooke does not have any sites in BC and if you look at the infrastructure they were using it was from the 1980's and years behind the systems used here. They had other compliance issues. Our farms actually have very good compliance, not perfect but then again what business is.
The farms in BC frequently have higher lice loads than is permissable which is deadly to Wild Salmon Fry but no consequence of any significance by the DFO means they just carry on killing more Wild Salmon.
Interesting to see the recent CBC article on open net farms need to correct the statement on how many first nations work with open net farmers from 40-60 to a "number" but never state what the "number" is telling anyone that cares how low that number actually is.
There is no support for this open net farming that is killing our Wild Salmon and its time they go on land in closed containment systems.

I agree that Cooke is likely the worst example of corporate behaviour, irresponsibility and dishonesty within the ONP FF industry and a very long ways from "not perfect":

And their history alone is sufficient enough support for the assertion that we can't depend on nor expect the regulators to appropriately and responsibly provide oversite and manage this industry.

And who were the "heroes & heroines" that stepped in? Community groups and ENGOs and independent researchers such as: the Wild Fish Conservancy, the Atlantic Salmon Federation, the Conservation Council of New Brunswick, Healthy Bays Network, and Ecojustice among many others.

well out of the 200+ FNs in BC - some ~10-12 have ONP operations within their territories. That's like 5-6% or so - and not all members within those communities are in agreement with those operations/choices neither.

So 95% of FN in BC likely DO NOT want ONP operations in their territory, and I would be surprised if it wasn't 100% that don't want ONP operations affecting their wild salmon irrespective of any financial benefits. The few FN spokespersons that have been showcased by the industry openly supporting this industry have direct financial ties to those operations.

As you say SF - 95% is not quite 100% and 5% is not zero - so claiming "no support" is an exaggeration. I think claiming "very little" support would be an accurate statement.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they aren't going anywhere and the feds, state/ provincial Gov. won't be dictating to any 1st nation on what they can or cannot do.. that can of worms has been opened..it'll take something like a civil war to change it, could happen in the red states but not in blue

Back