Washington State Bans Whale Watching of SRKW

Interesting normally the NGO groups are quite quick with these announcements in social media. Very very quiet yesterday and today on this news release.
Yes, I saw the PWWA response already - several emails flying around. They caught wind of this US announcement a day early, and took the opportunity on Dec 12 to suddenly shift their views on Avoidance Zones for SRKW - suddenly now appear to be largely agreeing with what we have been saying for a long time. Had to read their stuff several times to actually believe what I was seeing. Particularly, that there could be different approach zones or rather "Avoidance" zones.

No one's (except the ENGO groups) saying there shouldn't be access, just saying we need to stand off and give whales the right distance to eliminate physical and acoustic disturbance. Failure to come up with something that DFO science can support leads to "sanctuaries" which is total vessel operation closure - not good for anyone. The Avoidance Zone (400m) for only SRKW suddenly is looking appealing, and we believe it is effective at protecting whales.

Look carefully at the WA State measures as we will be asked to comply with those as well - and WA is participating in Canada's Technical Working Groups that will help shape the management measures. Within their measures it is clearly stated they have a 400 yard approach zone - what we have been proposing all along is the same - but a clear difference between US and our view is this only applies ONLY to SRKW for trained and certified observers, and not other whales.

No one is out to meddle in the WW business, just trying to align to the best practice solutions that might actually result in achieving some level of access to fish alongside SRKW without impacting their ability to acquire prey and forage successfully.

Something like this that was proposed in 2008?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/2008FrasRvrChkInformDocument.htm

View attachment 41928

10 years latter what progress have we made addressing these concerns??? What will we do differently for the next 10?? A bright spot is that coho in the SOG seem to actually be recovering this year.

Many Pacific salmon stocks in southern British Columbia experienced extremely poor production for brood years that entered the ocean in 2005. The widespread pattern of poor production levels amongst Pacific salmon species and stocks is rare and perhaps unprecedented among DFO observations. Pink salmon entering the sea in 2005 returned to spawn in 2006. Their observed returns in 2006 were far below expectations with the pattern of poor returns extended from southern BC through Southeast Alaska.

Coho salmon had very low returns compared to expectations in 2006. Coho have a predominantly 3-year life cycle, and smolts that went to the ocean in 2005 (brood year 2003) returned in 2006. The 2006 spawning escapement to the Interior Fraser was the lowest recorded since 1975. The pattern of extremely low marine survival and spawning escapements extended to other southern B.C. stocks, with the Strait of Georgia hatchery and wild stocks experiencing record low marine survival (since 1985).

Sockeye salmon return mainly at ages 3 to 5 in southern BC with most at age-4. Smolts from brood year 2003 entered the ocean in 2005. Fraser sockeye returns in 2007 were extremely low compared to pre-season expectations, with the estimated survival rate for ChilkoLake sockeye being the lowest recorded in over 50 years (1.2% compared with long term average of 8.7%). In Barkley Sound, age-3 jack returns in 2006 were 10% of the long term average, indicating poor marine survival. In-season run size estimates were two-thirds of expectations and the 2007 spawning escapement was the lowest among all years since 1992.

Chinook returns associated with the poor 2005 ocean entry year are expected to be compounded by apparent poor survival for the 2003 and 2004 brood years for many stocks. In the FraserRiver, Age-4 returns from the 2004 brood year and age-5 returns from the 2003 brood year will account for most of the female spawners in 2008. The poor returns in 2007 and the over-whelming evidence of a 2005 at-sea impact suggests that returns in 2008 will be poor, particularly for interior Fraser River Spring and Summer stream-type Chinook.

Stream-type Chinook spend at least one year in freshwater before migrating to the sea and return to spawn between ages 3 and 6. In the Fraser River, detailed age-structure data are collected at the Nicola River (hatchery and wild) and Nechako River, and spawning returns are monitored for three groups (spring run age 42, spring run age 52 and summer run age 52 stocks). The groups differ in maturation schedules, about 90% of the spring run age 42 group spawn at age-4, and about 70-80% of the spring and summer run age 52 groups spawn at age-5. Spawning escapements observed in 2007 were poor for each of these groups, returning only 11% (spring run age 42), 25% (spring run age 52), and 29% (summer run age 52) respectively of their parental brood year levels. Age structure information sampled from the 2007 returns will not be available until early 2008.

The 2008 Outlook for early timed Fraser Chinook stock components suggests returns in 2008 will continue to be poor due to very poor brood year escapements and over-whelming evidence of 2005 at-sea impact. Abundance of Fraser Chinook returning in the spring is estimated to be at 20 year lows and exploitation rates may have increased in a number of recent years[6]. The earliest timed Chinook populations are the first to return in the spring period and have peak migration into the Fraser in the March to May period. Earliest timed Chinook populations include: Coldwater River, LouisCreek, Spius Creek, CottonwoodRiver, ChilakoRiver, UpperChilcotinRiver and BirkenheadRiver. Poor returns are expected to continue recent spawner declines observed in these populations, with the notable exception of Birkenhead. Birkenhead has had good spawning escapements possibly related to very early migration timing and far north marine distribution. However, in the other earliest timed Chinook populations brood year escapements are at a small fraction of the estimated habitat capacity (e.g. <10%) that would maximize the harvestable surplus (see Appendix B: 1993-2007 Chinook escapement estimates to tributaries in the BC Interior and Lower Fraser).
Yes not much has changed to address the largest reason behind the stream-type large sized out migrant smolts being preyed upon by seals. Now the crisis continues to spiral towards extirpation if we don’t take some fairly immediate steps to find ways to get these larger smolts successfully past the predator trap.

A lot of talk about dumping more $$ into Hatchery production which will be fruitless if we can’t get all those smolts past the seals.

It will take a lot of convincing to get people to invest in solving the predator trap however.

I see they used targeted and timed closures as opposed to total finfish closures. A vast improvement for the area I fish. I’d take their Area 7 over our draconian measures around Pender Bluffs!

I don't think you would want Washington Area 7 rules if you looked closely. Chinook are open January 1 through April 15, unless closed early (which often happens). January through April 15 you can only keep one fin-clipped fish. Then you get to fish chinook again in July and August. There are some large areas closed for parts of the year. Ling cod is open May 1 through June 15. Halibut is open for a few select days that they announce in the spring. A lot of guys in Northwest Washington don't even bother fishing there. They make a trip to WCVI in July or August.

I don't think you would want Washington Area 7 rules if you looked closely. Chinook are open January 1 through April 15, unless closed early (which often happens). January through April 15 you can only keep one fin-clipped fish. Then you get to fish chinook again in July and August. There are some large areas closed for parts of the year. Ling cod is open May 1 through June 15. Halibut is open for a few select days that they announce in the spring. A lot of guys in Northwest Washington don't even bother fishing there. They make a trip to WCVI in July or August.
Well,from a Chinook perspective as well as Coho, being open during July and August is a vast improvement compared to the total fin fish closure that is instituted for Pender Bluffs in the same time frame.

Yes, our SRKW (2 pods of the 3) return from the US in the spring. When they return most years have appearance of being nutritionally stressed. Indicator that they are not encountering prey while in the southern portion of their range. Run reconstruction up here will tell us a lot about the abundance or availability of Chinook for SRKW while here. One thing I know is we run into lots of Chinook off WCVI, so there appears to be more than enough food available...but is it actually accessible or are the boats inhibiting their prey acquisition? By practicing avoidance zones - staying back 400 m or in the case of US 400 yards, that distance is generally thought to eliminate physical and acoustic disturbance. The US plan is something we will be examining closely going forward when designing management measures here. Alignment between both countries plans is important - but also as noted what is happening in Oregon and California could really matter most! This isn't necessarily a made in BC problem.

BTW, this also shouldn't be an anti Whale Watching issue. I'm not so sure that a ban on whale watching is a smart idea. So that is one thing from the US plan that I really question. The solution IMO really is about following the science to establish an adequate distance that all vessel operators stay back from SRKW, not applying the 400m avoidance zone to other whales (including Biggs and NRKW). The idea here is all vessel operators cooperating to allow adequate space. There can be differential approach zone distances for SRKW that provide additional protective measures, and other approach distances that allow closer approach for whales other than SRKW. Let's let DFO science establish what those differential approach avoidance zones are.
I think the 400 m/yrd bubble zone would pretty much close whale watching anyways. I can’t see people paying good money to see a whale from 4 football fields away!

I think the 400 m/yrd bubble zone would pretty much close whale watching anyways. I can’t see people paying good money to see a whale from 4 football fields away!

Want more Pender island areas??? No it won't. 20 percent of business is viewing southern residents at most so I can't see how its gong to shut any business down. It only applies to southern resident. Better to work with a strategy to keep the distance or areas completely closed. That way everyone wins.

Want more Pender island areas??? No it won't. 20 percent of business is viewing southern residents at most so I can't see how its gong to shut any business down. It only applies to southern resident. Better to work with a strategy to keep the distance or areas completely closed. That way everyone wins.
Ok that’s fair... I didn’t know the ratio of Northerns to southerns was so high. I would hope the northern would eat lots of seals around here then.

Ok that’s fair... I didn’t know the ratio of Northerns to southerns was so high. I would hope the northern would eat lots of seals around here then.
Unfortunately, that's the transients - not the residents - that eat seals. Residents are exclusively salmon-eaters - mostly Chinook...

Unfortunately, that's the transients - not the residents - that eat seals. Residents are exclusively salmon-eaters - mostly Chinook...
It turns out I don’t know very much about killer whales! I thought northern killer whales down here would be transients. I guess I’ll just shut my big yapper then!

Yes it’s complicated. The proposed 400m Avoidance Zone bubble applies only to SRKW, not other killer whales. It’s a mobile protection sanctuary that follows SRKW everywhere they roam- even outside Critical Habitat Areas. That represents only 25 percent of the whale observations the WW company’s sell to customers so for those few times SRKW are present they could use those as educational moments and also give customers binoculars

Not ideal, but everyone has to adjust and do the right thing to allow whales room to acquire their prey.

Not ideal, but everyone has to adjust and do the right thing to allow whales room to acquire their prey.
I think the 400m bubble is a good solution. There are transients in the salish sea every day. The whale Watchers may start ignoring the SRKW if there are Transients around giving them more space. Of course the bubble assumes the WW will actually respect appeoach rules, which they sometimes do not.

I think the 400m bubble is a good solution. There are transients in the salish sea every day. The whale Watchers may start ignoring the SRKW if there are Transients around giving them more space. Of course the bubble assumes the WW will actually respect appeoach rules, which they sometimes do not.

Yep loving them to death is not helping. When groups start arguing they wish to get closer then farther you start wondering. Never have we said ww shouldn't be allowed. We just want to be able to have something that is workable. If we don't work together then it will get shut down. Look at Juan de fuca straight and Pender and example of what doesn't work. One group gets singled out while others roll on business as usual. Not to mention it makes no sense. It has to be fair for everyone and it needs to be effective. Everyone needs to do their part not just one. A mobile bubble when southern are present is the best way. Then all user groups can still have access to waters and not closed. Whales around give them room easy concept.

Last edited:
Ssarun ..so if not ideal but EVERYONE has to do there part...so if the whale watchers position shifts from recreational fishing and closed areas won’t help the whales to....we will comply with the 400 metre bubble for SRKW and do our part on the noise/prey aquistion issue... but we now want sport fishers to reduce their impact on Chinook salmon by a further 25% (the same percentage their businesses will be effected) to help the whales. You won’t have a ***** right? For the same reason many in our sector are pissed that we got singled out (rightfully) they will be pissed at us for doing the same thing. I can see this coming.

Ssarun ..so if not ideal but EVERYONE has to do there part...so if the whale watchers position shifts from recreational fishing and closed areas won’t help the whales to....we will comply with the 400 metre bubble for SRKW and do our part on the noise/prey aquistion issue... but we now want sport fishers to reduce their impact on Chinook salmon by a further 25% (the same percentage their businesses will be effected) to help the whales. You won’t have a ***** right? For the same reason many in our sector are pissed that we got singled out (rightfully) they will be pissed at us for doing the same thing. I can see this coming.
Yup, its coming. Just wait for it.

BTW, the PWWA sent a letter to the RDG proposing differential approach zones...so what is your beef if they are in agreement?

No beef there but I know we will be seen as the group that brought this on them. They didn’t lobby for closed areas to hurt us...DFO did that. I just see them no longer being on our side with the Chinook issues and fushing. They will still support enhancement as that does help them but they won’t go out of their way to help us with fishing restrictions in the future...more lkkely to side with DFO and NGO’s

Your confusing the Avoidance Zone with some form of attack on WW. Not true at all. Its about finding ways to protect whales, while allowing responsible use of areas we share with whales. Its simply a tool to create a no physical and acoustic disturbance protective bubble around SRKW at all times so they can acquire prey, while still allowing vessels to operate coexisting with whales. But from a distance. In the absence of a credible alternative, DFO will default to Area Closures that we are familiar with, but Area Closures will now take the new Sanctuaries approach (no small vessels of any kind). Sanctuaries are coming, which would be a death blow for both WW and rec fishers if they mimic what was put in place for 2018...so we are in the same sand box together unless we can work together to demonstrate we can effectively implement an Avoidance Zone with differential approach distances for various killer whales.

I think the PWWA had a close look at what we were trying to say in terms of potential benefits of an Avoidance Zone approach that allowed for differential distances (one for SRKW at 400m or distance determined by DFO science to eliminate physical and acoustic disturbances, and another for NRKW and Transients that applied only to professionally trained WW or scientists). In light of what WA State implemented my guess is the WW's started to see that the differential approach zone strategy we had attempted to get them to support, started to make more business sense for their operations than what is looming across the border.

Hopefully we can all work together to find creative solutions that help achieve a win/win for whales and those of us who wish to enjoy their company while on the water pursuing our marine activities.

I guess time will tell if we stand alone arguing that our annual catch of Chinook is irrelevant to the SRKW and Chinook recoveries.

My read of the PWWA letter was they are on the same page more or less. I'm not too sure they see status quo as an acceptable alternative any longer. We got there a lot earlier given our experience with Area Closures. Now its about finding a balance.

I dont see the ww being able to "blame" sportsfishers for the restrictions. They can see the writing on the wall with SRKW and are desperate to avoid closure areas. They can operate their businesses fine watching transients, NRKW, humpbacks and Grays. Securing access to those in all areas is their goal, or should be. I doubt they will get into calling for reductions in sport takes of chinook in retaliation.

Back