Wanted to buy--folding aluminum herring rake.

As a kid growing up on the docks in Campbell River, most fisherman just used to make their own herring rakes. A thin piece of board, like a trim board, with finishing nails pounded in one side and the heads of the nails cut off. You could sharpen the nails and use a one piece board not that glued...stuff.

The trick is to keep pulling the rake through the water and lift it up with the herring skewed on the nails. Pretty simple to make, give it a whirl..good luck

just recouping from a serious accident and don't have full use of hands and feet, so fabrication is not in my immediate future---but in a couple of months?

I know Barry's Bait in Richmond use to sell the aluminum fold up type. They were not cheap and the problem with them was if you dropped them, it was - good bye.

Made my own and still have it. If I remember correctly we used 14' 1" X4" fir lumber and used stainless steel wire cut into approx 1.5" lenghts and took a pair of pliers and pushed the wire into the blank and then sharpend the points. Yes, ou had to be careful, they could hurt you - badly.

I think I got a home made job in the back yard. Yours if you want it.

After growing up in Powell River as a kid....in the 60's....herring were all over in fall and winter.
Didn't make anymore rakes after my mom (seamstress) ripped me a new one for using all her good needles.
Spinning rod with 10 #3 trebble barbless hooks...small bell weight (we used nuts and bolts).
Works great...chuckit and wind it in....storage is no prob....worked for us just fine....herring was our summer money at the warf in the summer.
Hmmm...good times back then....no fishery isues....just fish..

I have one I bought at a garage sale about ten years ago and never used it. I think I know where it is it's a two piece aluminum I think. I willl check tonite and give you more details, I live in Nanoose and work in Nanaimo if you want it...........BRS

Back