Wanted Plastic 50 Gal drum

Rockfish

Looking for a Plastic 50 Gal drum to cut down and use for a test and flush tank for outboards that has not contained anything too nasty. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one in the greater Victoria/Sooke area. Don't mind paying a bit for it.

Thanks
RF

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... If you posted this a couple days ago I would have grabbed the one floating around in Sooke Harbour.

Thanks Shepnoir. The PM is sent.

To bad lipripper, - may have been filled with foam as dock floatation.

Rockfish I have one in parksville but will not be down your way for another week but if someone was going down that way I could get it for you. Let me know

Some how I missed the size of the motor, thought it was just a kicker, sorry,..............BB

Nothing to be sorry about, my fault for not being specific enough as to why I need a 50 gal plastic drum. Have seen mobile marine mechanics use these cut down. The ones made out of light weight, thin walled polly prop type flexible plastic seem to be easy to cut down, are very light weight and flexible enough that it won’t break or crack if you drop it or stress it moving it around. Just drill and Sicaflex in a nylon plastic fitting and large wine carboy type rubber cork or a valve for drainage to let the water out so you can get it out from under a big leg and you are good for just about any size outboard. Can even just cut a slit in it near the bottom and leave the hose in it running so the water does not heat up and leaks out when you are finished.

Thanks for the suggestion and if it was just for my kicker the garbage can would work just fine.

This is what I use for flushing my 115 Johnson.My boat is in a storage facility with no running water closely avalible,so this was my only option.I cut the barrel to height using an angle grinder so it just tucks under with the skeg barely
clearing the bottom. Even with such tight clearances,you still need to fill it within 3" of the top,or the impeller won't
draw any water,as it needs to be completely submursed well above the decavatation plate. Other than that,it works
like a hot damn!

Are you in Vic? PM me if so.

Thanks for letting me measure your barrel Matt. I went out and measured my gear case and prop and unfortunately it is too big to fit in your barrel. Part of the problem is that your barrel is tapered at the ends like a wood keg and 20.5 inches is not going to work.

Guess I am still looking for a plastic barrel and need to find a barrel with a bottom diameter of at least 23 inches and preferably more, as my gear case and prop are 22inches. The bigger the better as I am thinking too much exhaust back pressure against the side of the barrel/tank may not be a good thing. Your barrel should work fine for smaller outboards - perhaps 150 hp down.

Will keep in touch and looking forward to getting out fishing with you. My boat should be in the water and moored within the week if all goes well.

Try Steels (masonry supply) in Colwood.... Masons have large plastic 1/2 drums that they use to mix sand and this could be the ticket. Failing that, Princess Auto has everything but flux capacitors. Give them a boo.

Try a farm/orchard supply place like Growers Supply, not sure if they are in the Vic area. I got a thickwalled blue poly 44 gallon drum that had held Dormant Oil, cost me $20. Cut off the top with a skilsaw and then hosed off the obvious oil inside. Then filled it, added kitchen dish soap and soaked it for a couple hours. Added a drain tap at the base and it has worked well for flushing/tuning kicker ever since.

maybe consider one of those 1000L cube totes, the size of a pallet and have a galvanized frame around them...

they have a 2" drain at the bottom too, and more than enough room for anysize motor

I have a large one, has a bulkhead fitting halfway up - so would just need a threaded plug/cap for it. An advantage would be you could setup circulation easily. Sent you a pm - correction , mailbox full. PM me if you want it.

Back