Wanted Marine Electrician

do you have a volt meter? if you do check the voltage at the starter with the switch on
Just bought a volt meter today but didn't try this as I'm a complete imbecile using this thing... ;).

My motor has a fuse on the ignition wire that isn't blown....could there be another fuse? Don't have the manual (bought the boat in August) and 1/2 planned to repower, but waiting a bit. I'll get a manual as well. Thanks again!
What motor do you have

please don't take offence, but check you are in neutral
Lol nothing could offend me, part of learning your mistakes. I did double check the neutral factor too.... I was really hoping that was the issue.

Coming out of left field here....did you check to make sure your throttle lever is in neutral? I had this happen to me and didn't figure it out until I had replaced a perfectly good battery. Try jiggling it a bit and then try the motor connected directly to the battery again.

looks like a merc control
Yes, merc control....interesting....I just had a thought. Recently I had a problem where the controls would stick while in gear.....I would have to push the lever back up in order to get it to go back into neutral. Long shot but I'll recheck that the engine side is in neutral and not just rely on the controls.

Coming out of left field here....did you check to make sure your throttle lever is in neutral? I had this happen to me and didn't figure it out until I had replaced a perfectly good battery. Try jiggling it a bit and then try the motor connected directly to the battery again.
haha - I think I just posted the exact same thing you said.....

bones - thanks for the offer. I live down the street from commercial and venables but the boat is @ Burrard Marina. I did connect the motor directly to the battery and still got nothing. This all worked with the old switch, but I wanted to implement the ACR and clean up the existing wiring/add a fuse block - given that it wasn't in great shape when I bought the boat. There's 5 gallons of beer in it for you if you're able to assist (you'll pick the type of beer and I'll brew it - will be ready in ~3 weeks ;), alternatively I can make sure you're financially well taken care of. Let me know what works as I have time all week to make it happen.

Thanks again!

what kind of lead time do you need? if i was done work early how long till you could be there so i can schedule a quick visit.

Definitely is still click click click....

what kind of lead time do you need? if i was done work early how long till you could be there so i can schedule a quick visit.
You name the time and I'll be there. I'm never late and have a relatively open schedule. Tomorrow (Monday) is a bit more challenging between 4-6 but any other day/time is fine.

Open the fuse box on the motor and check all fuses. You probably have blown a fuse. Doesn't make sense that motor won't turn over hooked directly to battery. You need 12.6 volts for your motor to turn over so make sure you have 12.6 volts first and go from there.

you could try tapping on the starter and solenoid with a hammer a bit. they sometimes will stick. especially when in a marine environment. tapping on it can loosen it up. I'd also unbolt the ground wire where it attaches to the engine block like bones mentioned and make sure you have absolutely no corrosion on the ground end or block where it attaches. polish the cable end and block where it attaches with some coarse grit sandpaper or emery cloth...

Back