Wanted Marine Electrician

bad negative connection at batteries or motor. clean them bright and reinstall then paint them. check voltage between Boat motor (starter) to the negative post. then to the negative buss. it theres a change then you have a dirty neg connection. tighten all connections again. make sure you have main fuses or Safety fuse (ignition protection) in place to match you wire size. use a Midi or Mega for your main fuses. if not current cant free spool and melt every wire in the circuit.

it would help to know voltages at different areas in the circuit
battery voltage
battery neg to motor pos at the starter

the problem could be that the current does not have a proper return path, resulting in the motor trying to turn over but only going click click

Well still no luck. Took the batteries to Canadian Tire this morning, they did the load test on both batteries and both are in good shape. Took them back to the boat and wire brushed any corrosion off of the connections, did the rewire to the switch, making sure to follow the diagram exactly, still no engine turnover. Tried to connect the engine directly to the battery and still nothing.

Here's a video of the connections I tried today....

Glad it's not prime fishing season....but I am missing out on the prawning :(.

Yea, I tightened them down but that wasn't in the video

I wired mine a little different I used buss bars way easier and a lot cleaner. Maybe take up no luck on his offer to give you a hand and start fresh. Just a though.... taking it to marine electrician you might get bent over hard

Go back to basic and hook the motor directly to the starting battery without involving the switch. Make sure there's nothing wrong with the starter on the motor.

i agree with bigbruce hook all the positives together and all the negs together and try to start it

Not all the positives and negatives. Just the positive and negative from the motor to the battery. All you want to do here is make sure there's nothing wrong with the motor's starting circuit.
Then start over...step by step:

1. positive wire from starting battery positive terminal to lower terminal 2 on switch.
2. positive wire from upper terminal 2 on switch to motor.
3. positive wire from starting battery terminal to terminal A on ACR - through fuse sized according to the alternator output of engine and the chart shown in the instructions I've attached.
4. positive wire from house battery positive terminal to lower terminal 1 on switch.
5. positive wire from upper terminal 1 on switch to house load.
6. positive wire from house battery positive terminal to terminal B on ACR - through fuse sized according to alternator output of engine.
7. all negative wires tied into boat's ground bus bar.
8. ground wire from ACR to ground bus bar.
9. turn switch to 'On'
10. start engine.

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/990310020.pdf

I'm a class B electrician. If its still a problem I could offer to drop by. Working all week at commercial and venables
bones - thanks for the offer. I live down the street from commercial and venables but the boat is @ Burrard Marina. I did connect the motor directly to the battery and still got nothing. This all worked with the old switch, but I wanted to implement the ACR and clean up the existing wiring/add a fuse block - given that it wasn't in great shape when I bought the boat. There's 5 gallons of beer in it for you if you're able to assist (you'll pick the type of beer and I'll brew it - will be ready in ~3 weeks ;), alternatively I can make sure you're financially well taken care of. Let me know what works as I have time all week to make it happen.

Thanks again!

Sorry i should have been more clear, but that is what i meant, was the battery cables

If you connected the motor directly to the battery and got nothing, I'd suggest there's something wrong with the motor. You may have tripped a circuit breaker on your motor. Do you have a manual that would tell you if there is one?

bigbruce - oddly, the diagram you posted was the original way I wired it. Then I saw the other diagram (I posted earlier) and thought "wow - how did I screw this up that badly". I rewired it from your diagram to the other one and still nothing.

the diagrams are actually the same, but shows the neg bus bar, and some optional wiring

My motor has a fuse on the ignition wire that isn't blown....could there be another fuse? Don't have the manual (bought the boat in August) and 1/2 planned to repower, but waiting a bit. I'll get a manual as well. Thanks again!

do you have a volt meter? if you do check the voltage at the starter with the switch on

bigbruce - oddly, the diagram you posted was the original way I wired it. Then I saw the other diagram (I posted earlier) and thought "wow - how did I screw this up that badly". I rewired it from your diagram to the other one and still nothing.
I guess they are the same, just flipped? The engine wire is running on post 2 in the second diagram and on post 1 in the first, the acr runs from house battery to post B on the ACR in the second diagram and goes from post A to the starting battery, seem opposite from the first diagram....but I assume it accomplishes the same goal?

Back