Wallas stoves

S

Skinny Dipping

Has anyone been using a wallas stove to heat a Bayliner 242 or similar boat? If so is it warm enough? Were was the fuel tank installed?

TOO funny in fact I am putting one on my new boat on sat. the 85DP and im putting the tank in the floor hatch and running the hose up to it as it has to be below the stove or you will need a special qizmo to stop the flow. if you want ill take pic of the install??

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

That would be great Wolf. Do you think it will keep the cabin warm enough and dry?

I think it will be no problem heating up a cabin at all, they have one hooked up at trotac go start it up you got to let it warm up but man its hot was really impressed ill let you know Ill be hooking it up on sunday most likely.

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I know they are expensive but having a cabin that is humid and cold is not great. I've seen them working at the boat show but never talked to someone that actually has used one. Are they worth the $$$?

I like the look of them and the fact they are made somewhere other than China. I saw a Wallas stove top at a local boat builder and asked if he liked them. He said that he had quite a few units come back with problems...more than he liked. So now I'm not sure...a lot of money and a pisser if it gives any grief. When I bought my boat back in 92 they were installing Wabasco diesel forced air units for a similar price. I think I'll wait and let see what kind of luck others have.

Well that was one of the questions I had asked as well any come back and not alot I know of 3 boats that got them (diesel) ran ones and they have tied in to there tanks 1 boat uses it alot and no problems.
I am willing to try it as they do have a great warrenty program guess time will tell thats for sure as it will get a lot of use.
going to work on it today ill post pics later.

BTW got the complete alchol stove ill be putting up for sale if someone needs or wants one appers to be in great shape.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:
BTW got the complete alchol stove ill be putting up for sale if someone needs or wants one appers to be in great shape.

Wolf,
I'm looking for a stove...If you could let me know the dimensions, that would be great.
Thanks,
Dan

Well its all hooked up ill take more photos today but here is some from yesterday
NEWBluewolf26hourston001.jpg

This is the old opening filled in the stove was starboard to port so im changing it to go bow to stern notice the new controler on the top.

NEWBluewolf26hourston002.jpg

NEWBluewolf26hourston003.jpg

NEWBluewolf26hourston004.jpg

So ive ran a chafing line from the stove down thru the kitchen cabinet thru the mid ship cabin then to the outside deck floor hatch so the fuel line which is really small inside dimension is 2 mm WOW couldnt believe that just wanted it all protected.

So I made up a box to fit the tank in one side being a bit longer to fit the hull of the boat.
NEWBluewolf26hourston006-1.jpg

NEWBluewolf26hourston007.jpg

NEWBluewolf26hourston008.jpg

And lastly this is the thru hull fitting for the exhaust as there is no fumes what so ever in the cabin as it is a seal combustion unit so it really dries the cabin out had it running last night for a bit wow its hot enough thats for sure.

Ill post more tonight of it finshed.
The plywood that is infront of the stove opening im going to put a nice chunk of granite to go in there as the plywood is a 1/2 thick and the granite is 3/4 think so it will be a bit recessed for a nice place to put a hot pot etc and to hold some heat as it will keep the heat in a bit

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wallas stoves are excellant, push button start and knob heat control. The cost to purchase is high but you only get what you pay for.

We don't run desiel but kerosene.

We have run a wallas stove for the past three years in a skagit orca. It works great and heats our cab excellant. We travel on our boat for a week at a time and cook everything on the stove if we aren't BBQing.

We also run a charter company and with 50% of our client come from the southern usa they usally don't come with the proper clothing so it's an added bonus when you can keep your clients warm in between reeling in activities.

The only problem we have encountered is, the burners get clogged after a couple of hundred hours of operations. The fuse located in the mother board will start burning out and the unit will blow cold air. You will have to send the stove to Seattle to get serviced, Serviceing was $200 and it took 10 days. Shipping and customs was a problem, it cost allot to ship it and customs wants taxes on it's return, so you will have to explain it was a repair.

Wolf
are you putting the stove in your new boat? if so, you will be happy.

D&D

Yes Doug in the new boat, must admit had it running about 1/4 power today for the whole day to see what it is like and even with the door open it was very warm in there takes a bit to really warm it up but awsome here what it looks like after today.
The chunk of granite sure did hold the heat
NEWBluewolf26001.jpg

NEWBluewolf26002.jpg

NEWBluewolf26003.jpg

Wolf

Very nice installation.

The granite is a nice added touch and will give you some where to put down a hot pot when your taking it off the burner to reel in a fish.

I have an extra set of stove top adjustable SS pot holders made by Wallas. They are still in the bag and if your interested I'll give you a great deal.

D&D

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Looks great. Thanks for the info. How much do you think the project cost? Were is the best place to purchase the stoves?

Wallace 800 Mini Cooker

Wolf or others.
I am planning to put a Wallace 800 Mini Cooker model in my 26' Alum cabin boat. I only have a small cabinet where I could locate the stove/heater unit. The 800 Mini Cooker has 2000 - 4000 BTUs whereas the 85DU has 2000 - 6500 BTUs.

http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stoves.html

Do you think the 800 Mini Cooker will be enough heat. IE running your 85DU at about 60%. I am located in the lower mainland but I do like to boat in the winter and would like to stay over night in the reasonable winter weather. I have never had heat in any boat and yet I have crabbed and prawn fished in freezing weather. It makes for cold hands!

Let me know if you think this is adequet, or should I try to fit the 85DU in, it would take up almost all of the cabinet. I would be happy to have about temp of 16c as I am typically dressed for the out door temp anyway. Smaller unit is about $900 cheaper too. I would hate to buy unit, install it then find out it does not have the performance I need.

Any thoughts are appreciated. :confused:

Thanks
Eastpoint

Ill be honest I love the stove and it heats awsomelly if you can close the door no surprises there trying to heat the outdoors LOL LOL ive always gone under "more power the better" then turn it down. and being alum boat its going to be a bit colder anyways if you can go with the bigger one then do it as I know a buddy of mine just has the one burner and its just not enough.

I did have a bit of problem lately with the filter that they supply you with it just losens of over time as the tube for the fuel is inside dia. is 5mm so its tough to get a clamp to "hold" on it i just took it off as there is a filter inside the tank itself and I filter the fuel going in anyways didnt really see the need for 2 filters been working fine ever since.

What I like to do the night before is bbq a few burgers moose,elk,deer, and just grill mark them then take them off so there a bit on the rare side once they cool ill wrap them flat on heavy duty tin foil , take all the buns,cheese etc the morning of put them on the exhaust side for about 5 to 7 mins as its just the right temp to reheat as the top is hot as well (inside) instant lunch!!!!!!! and do they ever smell good......and cooked perfectlly
Hope that helps...
BTW we are cooking breaky tommorow on it... halibut fishing

Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed one in my 25' Campion and it works great. More than enough heat even when we did a week winter cruising around the Gulf Islands. Easy install and we use diesel and have not had many problems. Some small "user" problems is when you or a "friend" are washing down the boat and get water into the exaust...well it led to a small smoke blow back and a new lesson learned. Doug is right, the price is up there but if you want quality and dependability, Wallace stoves are the best I've seen.

We bought a Wallas stove to go with our 28ft sailboat in 1996. It seemed like the perfect solution a combination diesel cook-top and heater. At first we were very happy but within a matter of months things began to go wrong. First the bearings in the two motors that drive the fan in the lid began to squeal and had to be replaced. Then the hollow needle that introduces fuel into the combustion chamber plugged up from carbon and had to be fixed. Next the circuit board went and had to be replaced. All these things were under warranty but the warranty soon ran out and the problems persisted. I couldn't keep track of how many fan motors we went through, if we got six months out of them we were lucky. The boat was being used several times a week so yes it was heavy usage but considering the price of the stove it was a little more than disappointing. Later we used it on our 25ft powerboat and after crashing down off a large wave or wake the lid flipped up and came down on the glass cook-top cracking it despite all the rubber protectors designed to prevent this from happening. Finally after 10 years and more motors than I can remember 4 circuit board upgrades and 3 glass tops we stopped using it, it was just too costly to maintain. Perhaps we had a lemon but they just don't seem to be built for hard or heavy use and that's a lot of money to spend for something you don't use very much.

Ok guys-I have a Wallas stove installed in my Orca since 2003. works really well -however there are 3 gottcha,s on this stove. It works really well and is bullet proof as long as you do these 3 things. Always have fresh diesel in the tank-never older than 3 months or you will get overheats and auto shut down with the 10 minute wait for cool down. Make sure you have over 12 volts on your battery while the fuel pump is running or again it will sense undervoltage and shut down. I always run my main engine while I start the stove so that the draw does not drop the voltage below 12 about 2 mins. Don,t keep playing with the temp control or it will soot up the nozzle. That,s it-works great.

Back