Walkaround Cuddy Boats

tbeatm

Looking for opinions on walkaround cuddy style boats for our waters off the coast of Vancouver Island.

I've seen quite a few Trophys pop up here in BC of that style, but I have also heard they aren't that great of a boat for some reason?

Obviously Grady White has a few in that style, some Boston Whalers and some Seaswirl Stripers as well. What are folks thoughts on these boats and if you were on the hunt, is there a specific make or model you would recommend or go for yourself based on experience or otherwise?

Thanks!

I have one of the newer Hull design Trophy's and I absolutely love it. NO wood stringers and Transom, self bailing deck. It's a great boat to fish from. And the best part is I don't have 70k or more invested in a boat.
1999-2000 model and newer was the transition when Trophy became it's own line and they were sold by Bayliner.

Looking for opinions on walkaround cuddy style boats for our waters off the coast of Vancouver Island.

I've seen quite a few Trophys pop up here in BC of that style, but I have also heard they aren't that great of a boat for some reason?

Obviously Grady White has a few in that style, some Boston Whalers and some Seaswirl Stripers as well. What are folks thoughts on these boats and if you were on the hunt, is there a specific make or model you would recommend or go for yourself based on experience or otherwise?

Thanks!
My son and I have had a 2008 2601 Striper since 2016. Love it. With our west coast weather I feel the Alaskan package is a must.

I second @rockdog . I had a 2004 Trophy 2002 WA and it served me very well in all sorts of water. If you can find the big engine (175 optimax) get it. Owned mine for 17 years. Not a perfect boat for sure, but a great boat.

Depends on what price point and size your looking for. I'm biased , but a Pursuit is hard to beat, find one with the hardtop if you can they make using the walkaround much safer.

Last edited:
GW 208 adventure with a hardtop is a nice little package - Nice blend of trailerability and seaworthiness
Great boats,hard to find.
Grady White 228G Seafarer with hard top, hard to beat, we fished 4 guys in mine out of Port Hardy last weekend, zero issues in big water.
Even better boat,extremely hard to find.
Depends on what price point and size your looking for. I'm biased , but a Pursuit is hard to beat, find one with the hardtop if you can they make using the walkaround much safer.
I looked for 10 months to find one of these 3 boats,if you find one,act fast or it will be gone.

I have one of the newer Hull design Trophy's and I absolutely love it. NO wood stringers and Transom, self bailing deck. It's a great boat to fish from. And the best part is I don't have 70k or more invested in a boat.
1999-2000 model and newer was the transition when Trophy became it's own line and they were sold by Bayliner.
I second the nomination for 2000 and newer trophy. Of course I am biased because I own an 03 2002. My hardtop model is beauty 12 months of year. I fish mainly in Victoria/Sooke now, but I’ve been 50 miles out of port Renfrew in it and all up and down the inside passage with it and I’ve never felt uncomfortable. As originally mentioned, I wouldn’t even bother with pre 2000 as they are mostly rotten and have fuel tank issues.

Cant comment on the newer trophy’s, mine where 1993,1998, both where very poorly built boats, but where cheap to buy back then, I just killed both of t them pretty quick, also own a 2452 bayliner, was actually bit better then the trophy but still poorly built, all 3 where egg shell at sea.bobbing like a cork lol, so IMO stay away from the older ones. The trophy line looks like a better design and built but only ever been on one, charter out of uki, and it handle the trip to big bank pretty good.

Although I’m a Grady/Pursuit guy ive always liked the Wellcraft Coastal 252. Really nice to have a glass cabin for year round use. And trolling on a 150 is reasonably economical.

Grady White that 228 would be my vote if money isn't an object. There is reason you see so many in Barkley Sound and on WCVI. The resale also if very good. Never have an issue selling.

Although I’m a Grady/Pursuit guy ive always liked the Wellcraft Coastal 252. Really nice to have a glass cabin for year round use. And trolling on a 150 is reasonably economical.

My old wellcraft rides awsome, really like it, pursuit is still a better riding boat in the same size, Grady not sure as the ones I been on had wider beams (Gulf Stream, sailfish), but I Am sure the seafarer ride pretty good

I'm a fan of the Coastal's too,but don't consider them to be a "walkaround".

Thanks!
I think it really comes down to where you plan on fishing, how much you plan on fishing and how many people you plan on fishing with... As well as your budget.

Walkaround ability is always a compromise based on the trailerable width. If you want an easy walkaround style, the interior space is going to be less. More inside space leaves a smaller outside walkaround space.

Back