volvo leg trim relay switch

MRWood

I believe I need to replace the relay switch(s) for my leg trim pump (Volvo DP-C). Can I just use the auto parts relays or do I need to pay up for the Volvo price of $98 each.
IMG_2637.JPG

No you do not. Take the relay into Lordco and match it up. Try to get a 50amp one if you can.

I second gungadin's response. That's exactly what I did about 3 years ago and the Lordco relays are still going strong.

that's probably a bosch relay with volvo stamped on it. I'd look for a good premium relay. 98 bucks is ridiculous... should be no more than 15 bucks I would think.

I have the auto ones as well its just a plain simple relay..... make sure you coat it with corrosion block etc the ones i have are plastic.
if your in vic Trotac has them

good luck Wolf

and maybe buy a spare and keep it in a good waterproof container. I keep a couple spares just in case. I had to replace a relay that was part of the starter system for one of the twins a couple years ago. water had somehow gotten into the waterproof electronics box that housed a few relays and other wires. may have been condensation so trying to waterproof and/or using a corrosion blocker/ inhibitor as well like others have mentioned is good advice.

I got 3 new ones from Lordco for about $6. Plastic body with mounting bracket. They seem to be working but I don't think it's the relay switches that are the issue. I believe I'm not getting power from the main breaker switch. I will have to test it tomorrow. I'm just figuring this stuff out as I go a long.

I'm getting no power to the trim pump but I don't think my problem is the relay switches. They seem to be clicking away when I try to trim the leg up or down. There's no power to the pump. I hot wired the pump and got it to work, so the pump is good. I changed what I think is the trim limit relay and still no power to the pump. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check the fuse? There's a fuse on my Volvo trim as I recall.

as red monster mentioned, there should be a long black bullet shaped plastic casing that encases a fuse if it's a mercruiser trim pump. its probably tucked under the power components on the pump itself held on with a metal strip fastener to one of the mounting bolts. it might be hard to see from looking at it from above.
you can kinda see it in this pic. it's been unbolted and pulled out from it's metal strip fastener.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/K6rZ9I9USxc/hqdefault.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a fuse. My manual shows a 5 amp fuse at the trim tilt switch on the throttle. Other than that I don't see anything.

My Volvo has a 50 amp circuit breaker at the back of the engine, left hand side when looking aft. Have to remove the plastic cowling to see it. If it's tripped, the trim pump won't work.

How do you tell if the breaker is tripped. I don't think mine is tripped as it's pretty solid when i press on it, moves in and out just a little.
The red wires have power to them when I ground to the motor. If I put my tester ground on the black wire on the other side of the breaker while still on the red I get nothing. There is also a relay switch that is hooked up to one of the reds going to the breaker. I believe it is the trim limit relay. Not sure if the trim limit sender might be causing issues.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2643.JPG

Sounds like you have power into the breaker. But do you have power coming out of the breaker? Sounds like you don't. You need power on both sides. If you have power on both sides, there could be issue with a ground wire, which is easy to check. Maybe the breaker has been tripped? Push the button! :)

The pump motor is now working. I'm not all that sure what I did other than messing with, cleaning and pulling out connectors. Sometimes it's good to be an accidental genius. I sure know a lot more about the trim system now.
New problem showed up....leaky fitting on one of the trim cylinders. When we had the leg off we were having trouble getting one of the fittings to thread. Now it's leaking. The threads on the fitting all look good. Hopefully they're ok in the cylinder. I don't want to have to remove that as I believe it is hooked up inside the transom somewhere under the motor o_O

During the winter months I have boat in shop I tinker on it look at all connections and use corrosion block on every thing clean everything, make sure its working usually when a canuck game is on the big screen as I can hear but dont want to watch time flys then LOL, doesnt matter if its an inboard or outboard all electrical connections need to be cleaned and looked after.....

Back