Volvo duo prop (DP-C) leg milky oil

MRWood

Changed leg oil this fall on my 92 volvo DP-C leg and noticed that it was a bit milky. I have not noticed any oil leaks from the leg. What do I need to do to figure out why my oil was milky.

Drop down pressure test to see where it is leaking from. Could be a seal on the driveshaft end or the prop shaft end. Could be the filler/drain screw gaskets or a slightly bent prop shaft. I just rebuilt my 9.9 Yamaha lower end with all new seals throughout, replaced the prop shaft as it had a wear groove where the outer seal rode on the spinning shaft. The driveshaft had the same type of groove from the seals...that part is now obsolete and would have been over $400 if still available, Took it to Clarke Engineering and they spray welded and polished out the grooves for $175.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7749309-44-10816.aspx

From my experience with my 270 leg the shift shaft seal is somewhat prone to cause a leak. In my case it has always leaked on the vacuum side of the test. I've done the shift shaft seal about 3 times now.Part #53 on the schematic for your leg.

1.Drain the gear oil.
2.Pressure test and vacuum test the leg. You can make a tool for this or buy the actual tools
3. A leak on the pressure test is easy to find. Spray soapy water look for bubbles
4. Vacuum test. Draw a vacuum. If it loses vacuum smear grease around the shift shaft seal first...or the prop shaft seal and wait. If it holds vacuum or slows the leak down it probably is that location.
Do one seal area at a time so you can eliminate or confirm which area leaks or holds vacuum

During the tests, pressure and vacuum, you should put the drive in forward, neutral and reverse and spin the prop to see if this changes the results.

One more thing I thought of. Check inside your u-joint bellows for water. If you had a leak in your bellows I believe water can get into the drive through the seal (#23 on the schematic) that is around the drive shaft. The seal is there to keep oil in the leg and not to worry about keeping water out due to the fact that there is not supposed to be any water in the u-joint bellows. Just loosen the hose clamp on that bellows and pull the bellows out of the way and have a look inside. It should be fairly obvious if there is water in there.
If you have water in that bellows there are potentially other issues you might have to deal with i.e u-joint bearings and worse case scenario the bearings around the intermediate shaft coming out of the bell housing in the motor.
One trick a marine mechanic buddy taught me was to put a few squirts of oil into that bellows and if you do have a leak you might get a warning by seeing a "rainbow" in the water due to the oil leaking out.

Thanks for all of the info. You guys would make great neighbours. You'd like it it here in Nanoose :)

Back