VMC Open-Eye Siwash...Where?

Seafever

I want to buy some VMC open-eye siwash hooks in size 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0.

They are the kind that have a sort of light grey finish on them and are lighter than stainless. They also have a slightly smaller eye.

Anybody know where to buy locally? (Van Isle).

Im sure Trotac will have what you want they have just about anything

Im sure Trotac will have what you want they have just about anything

I'll try them...thanks..

They look like these. Except the eye is open. I have quite a few of these around but I don't like rebending the eyes.

IMG_0358.JPG

permasteel finish is what your after. great hooks, i use them on my all my spoons, eyes usually break if you tried to re open and re close.

i got mine from tackle direct (online)

I just closed the eye on some $%^&$%& strong Mustad 95170SS (stainless) hooks on the boat, and had to try every set of pliers we had to get the job done.

Try water pump pliers to close those open eye'd hooks. The mechanical advantage is huge, actually makes it enjoyable ;-)

Last edited:
when im doing my winter re-new on all my 50? spoons, ill use a vice to get the eyes perfectly closed... quick, easy and repeatable results

I use crimping pliers the for crimping brass onto downrigger wire as there is no teeth to put the slightest burr on it.

I used to be on the "stainless" bandwagon. But all I found was that they break really easy. Especially around the eye, no matter how careful you crimp them.

They get micro-cracks in them really easy. And you can't see them until they break.

The VMC in the pic are lighter than stainless too.

I have stainless Siwash that have fell apart just from looking and handling them on spoons I have around.. Spoons that haven't even made it into the tackle box yet.

I don't do stainless hooks anymore...but to each his own.

Looks like I might have lucked out. Went up to PNT on the Alberni Highway and Rob said he could get them in, should be here by next week.

Hadn't been in PNT here for while:- always a great browse looking at stuff I read about but no-one else seems to carry.

Back