Victoria-to-Sooke, what size herring to use? use

Greetings,

Now that I'm FINALLY found the time to make my first pitiful showing at the Gorge bridge to grab some herring, I've got to ask the size question.

It seems that the herring I've caught (... all three of them, ha ha) are larger than I would use for Salmon; 8-9" long. Should I plug cut the bigger ones? What sizes would typically be used whole?

Or does the old addage apply: "bigger bait = bigger fish"?

I realize that Hali's like 'em big but I'm not equiped to target them so i'm looking strictly for Chinook.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Sorry to burst your bubble Alex but the bait of choice in those waters are anchovies.
Gorge herring are normally Huge!! xxl, perfect Hali bait!!

Sorry to burst your bubble Alex but the bait of choice in those waters are anchovies.
Gorge herring are normally Huge!! xxl, perfect Hali bait!!

Thanks TT,

I thought they seemed HUGE.

They almost remind me of the trout my mainland bretheren spend their afternoons trying to catch at Sasamat lake!!!

... so, where do catch chovies!! (I guess I'm just naturally a cheap ******* so I don't like to buy my bait)

just curious,
Alex

Thanks TT,

I thought they seemed HUGE.

They almost remind me of the trout my mainland bretheren spend their afternoons trying to catch at Sasamat lake!!!

... so, where do catch chovies!! (I guess I'm just naturally a cheap ******* so I don't like to buy my bait)

just curious,
Alex

Maddog
Those springs caught at that time of year off sooke are not Columbians, it is a myth that they are headed to the Columbia river.
I have also caught many springs with herring, but Anchovy is the bait of choice in that area
TT

Maddog
Those springs caught at that time of year off sooke are not Columbians, it is a myth that they are headed to the Columbia river.
I have also caught many springs with herring, but Anchovy is the bait of choice in that area
TT

what I am trying to say is that the fish that pass through the sooke waters are not heading to the Columbia river, that is just a myth. They are heading up the Fraser and some of its tributaries.

what I am trying to say is that the fish that pass through the sooke waters are not heading to the Columbia river, that is just a myth. They are heading up the Fraser and some of its tributaries.

I always have a large herring ready to go at Sooke! No flasher with a big ugly row. That's the thing everybody is rolling chovs, and you find a slab wants a bigger meal.

I always have a large herring ready to go at Sooke! No flasher with a big ugly row. That's the thing everybody is rolling chovs, and you find a slab wants a bigger meal.

maddog, Fins -n- skins,

Thinking about it again, I will grab some more for the reasons you've mentioned. It makes sense to offer something a little bigger, not totally different, but a little bigger.

... if a slab sees a million 5" bait fish and one 9" beauty in a death spiral, which one do you think they'll go after?

Thanks for the feed back guys,
Alex

maddog, Fins -n- skins,

Thinking about it again, I will grab some more for the reasons you've mentioned. It makes sense to offer something a little bigger, not totally different, but a little bigger.

... if a slab sees a million 5" bait fish and one 9" beauty in a death spiral, which one do you think they'll go after?

Thanks for the feed back guys,
Alex

Back