Victoria Guides opening up this weekend to guided charters ?

gon fishin

According to island outfitters and some other guides It appears that Victoria is open to taking charters out Is this even possible with what Dr Bonnie has said Or am I just being paranoid

I saw on social media that one in Campbell River is opening up too.

Speaking with a buddy who guides in Tofino, the last I heard from him they were awaiting instructions from Industry or Transport Canada. (whichever oversees them)

Nothing official has been released as to parameters that us guides and outfitters need to follow.

From what I am being told these parameters are being gone over as we speak by WorkSafe BC and the Ministry of Health and should be released by the end of the week.

That being said, if they are release before the weekend then yes, guides will be able to go back to work as long as they can follow these parameters.

I heard something about it being local guides with local customers and the possibility of it opening up. But rumours

I havent even started up yet, but I do know of some guides that haven't adhered to it all....

There should not be any guiding at this point, if there is they are breaking the rules.

I have been following this VERY closely as it is my livelihood.

I am not allowed anyone on my boat besides family that I live with and people with
min my “social bubble” as Horgan has said.

Until these new parameters are announced as to how to go about safely having paying guests on your boat it is not allowed.

With these outfits advertising they can take you fishing this coming weekend I would have to believe they are hoping the announcement comes out prior and that they can be ready to follow these said parameters and keep their clients safe

Cheers

There should not be any guiding at this point, if there is they are breaking the rules.

I am not allowed anyone on my boat besides family that I live with and people with

Until these new parameters are announced as to how to go about safely having paying guests on your boat it is not allowed.

With these outfits advertising they can take you fishing this coming weekend I would have to believe they are hoping the announcement comes out prior and that they can be ready to follow these said parameters and keep their clients safe

Cheers
They haven't even opened the ramp in Vancouver yet for family and social bubble.

Cheers
Absolutely Wade! To be guiding now is totally irresponsible as it's impossible to social distance in a boat, i can't even take my friends out with me right now

I'm watching fairly closely too. Maybe the independent small operators are going to give it a shot but the resorts seem to be on the sidelines depending on if the borders open. Dent pending, sonora not opening this season, Moutcha says they're going to make a decision by may 15 but they're definitely not running camp sites unless you have a self contained trailer / rv.

Many more of course but if you look at office tower regulations that permit only 2 people at a time in an elevator how are 2 to 4 guys supposed to physical distance in a 24' boats cockpit?

Do you agree or disagree with Gill’s comments re non-refundable deposits?

I’d like to think most reputable outfits would allow transferring the deposit to a future trip when restrictions allow.
I totally disagree with that. In 33 years in business unless the clients did a last minute no show with no legit reason I always deferred their deposits to the next year

I totally disagree with that. In 33 years in business unless the clients did a last minute no show with no legit reason I always deferred their deposits to the next year

Agreed...but nothing in the article indicates he’s not deferring deposits to next year/when COVID permits?

Why would you be telling people to make an insurance claim if you were deferring their deposits. It kinda reads like yah snooze yah loose and we need the deposits to survive.

“McKean added he and other guides had received non-refundable deposits prior to the pandemic, but unfortunately, his clients are telling him their travel insurance specifically exempts coverage on trip cancellations due to pandemics.

“So they’re not getting their money back, and for us you have to keep in mind we’re not getting rich off these deposits either. Basically they’re there to keep you going through the winter, to pay the bills, pays for a little advertising and basically just keeps the wolves away from the door.”

Obviously clients are asking him to refund deposits to which he is saying no as they are non-refundable. Whether he is offering to defer deposits for rebooking or not is unclear from the article, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Re insurance, if travel insurance will cover the deposit (which clearly it doesn’t) then both the guide and client win, no harm in checking.

Not looking to pick a fight just my interpretation of the article. Have heard various stories of shady guides in Terrace though so nothing would shock me...

I have a 100% no refundable for halibut trips (only) as I put that in place As i have been burned before as in Vic/sooke we have very limited days and people usually book way in advance then I would get a guy cancel last minute and i would be screwed. in all the years , ive only had to keep a cancellation fee 3 times, with this pandemic THERE was no way I was gong to be enforcing that as me personally dont think it would be fair to do .

Morally I could not do it, I do know of some guides that have kept them. I always adhere to "how would i feel" if it was done to me. I know I can sleep at night with ease I dont think its fair to deliberately take something that you haven't earned maybe im to old school where a hand shake and looking man in the eye is golden...

As for guiding I plan on doing it for next set of tides may 27th on as I feel it will be ok then (i feel its ok now ) on the island taking locals out.

Back