Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of fish off the waterfront today, but just about as many seals. We had twelve fish on this morning from Macaulay and across the harbour mouth. Seven (seven!) went to the seals. We got almost all of our gear back but it was seriously frustrating. We released two and kept a small spring each, three altogether. We started with a UV hootchie and a purple coho killer and stuck with them until a seal took the spoon and then a purple squirt worked just as well. The fish came from at or near the bottom and their stomachs had what looked like small herring in them. The rain held off and the water was calm.

Bummer on the seals, no problem down our way
but not so many fish....
a small halibut, and a couple hits & misses on Springs

Lots of fish off the waterfront today, but just about as many seals. We had twelve fish on this morning from Macaulay and across the harbour mouth. Seven (seven!) went to the seals. We got almost all of our gear back but it was seriously frustrating. We released two and kept a small spring each, three altogether. We started with a UV hootchie and a purple coho killer and stuck with them until a seal took the spoon and then a purple squirt worked just as well. The fish came from at or near the bottom and their stomachs had what looked like small herring in them. The rain held off and the water was calm.

At that rate I woulden't even bother fishing there anymore. Just wasting salmon IMO. Move or try somwhere new and fish where seals are less of a problem. I fish Sooke for winters have gotten over 150 winter springs this year not one has been sealed!

I hate hearing about boats going out and feeding seals a half a dozen fish a trip.

Just a rant. Danm those rock sausages!

-KK

Makes me wonder what the mortality rate would be on releasing 100+ fish?
If it's only 5%, this is far more than a dude who loses 7 to seals....and I'm positive it would be far higher than 5%.

Just sayin'......not trying to start a $hit$how..... It's just kinda rediculous to jump on zed, he's just making a post to help us all out. If he posted he was out 10-18 days and lost most to seals that is different. I'm sure he was moving around to get out of the seals.

I don't know zed personally either, although I did speak to him at the ramp yesterday and he was pretty disappointed with the seals.

18 days..... I can only dream of getting out that much in a few months over the winter

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you can count Karma-Kazi
No doubt you can catch fish and no doubt you are on the water a lot!
But Landed means in the boat.
Is that what you mean to say?

Oh my god! Who cares what you interpret into his words! Leave it alone and save the space here for reports! If you got some issues with what you mean he means then start your own thread.

Oh my god! Who cares what you interpret into his words! Leave it alone and save the space here for reports! If you got some issues with what you mean he means then start your own thread.

thanks Chris , said it well! Merry Christmas to all!

There are a few quality fish around, weeded through several 3-5 lb'rs
and ended up with 10 & 12 lb fish, and a cage full of hard shell dungies's.
Merry Christmas all !

Nice work Craven! Sounds like a great day!

All the fish im talking about are over 5 pounds and ive been trying somthing new this year. Im fishing an 8 weight fly rod no flasher and steelhead hooks like tiny ones. Have only had about 4 bleeders and ive kept everyone of them. I only keep bleeders because I fish so often.

Not trying to derail the reports. Just figured I might send some guys to Sooke and save some fish from being sealed! Same fish in Sooke as Victoria just less seals.

-KK

Not many esquimalt anglers are going to drive to Sooke for the same fish they can catch 5 minutes from their door. We probably all look at the Sooke thread so post your reports there we'll enjoy reading them as they happen and you might draw a few anglers out there that way.

As for the seals they need to eat too its not a waste of salmon. Those fish played out on a fly rod must be dead tired lucky for them you fish in predator free spot where they can relax, recoup and bite you again on your next pass.

[oI3DlIrvoHg] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3DlIrvoHg

Gdw hit it right on. We hit 23 springs off the front on sat, all were 5 lbs except for the four 7 lbers we kept, fed five to seals. Know of another boat fishing the same tac that did just as well. 3.5 cyotes in silver and cop car on 42 inch leader worked for us. FFG, I mean Kami Kazi, the issue is that there needs to be a cull, not every waterfront guy going to beacher bay, your home waters. I fish sooke, sidney, oak bay, and waterfront yr round and all have seal issues at some point. Your rant was ignorant. Your post was well put GDW

Went out Christmas Day with the son off waterfront from 11 - 3. Only boat on the water so seals followed us all day. Nada from Esquimalt to Flag pole so picked up and went out to Constance. One little one saved from the mouth of a seal with only a few teeth marks, couple other bites and that was it. Small herring was only thing that got a hit. Next opportunity out will be a Sooke where hopefully no seals. Dead calm all day.

Not sure where my post went. Anywho, anyone go out today - Boxing day. Gonna head out off vic waterfront tomorrow with some friends for my bday. Would love a report for today. Where can I get some crab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back