VHF Radio Acting up

chinnok

My radio is having a hard time turning on the last couple of years. it turns on briefly(1/2 second) and then turns off right away. Usually after about 20 minutes or so turning on and off it stays on. Any idea on what is wrong or where I can get it serviced. I am in the Langley. Thanks.

I'll sell you my old one that works perfectly. Save you the hassle of running around to fix yours. (probably same cost as getting one fixed! It's an ICOM IC-M45 $100.00
If you're interested you can reply here or phone 778-999-4687. My name's Dave

20160312_190757.jpg

check your battery condition chinnok. electronics usually need the proper amount of volts before working properly. maybe it's possible you have a weak battery, that once your engines are running for a bit charge the battery up and then it starts to work properly. also check all electrical connections especially ensuring you have a good ground.

check your battery condition chinnok. electronics usually need the proper amount of volts before working properly. maybe it's possible you have a weak battery, that once your engines are running for a bit charge the battery up and then it starts to work properly. also check all electrical connections especially ensuring you have a good ground.

Thanks Bigdogeh, my batteries seam to be fine, engine started up right. ran the engine for quite a while but the radio wouldn't start. Sometimes I have to run for about 30 minutes before I can get it going.

Ground, check the ground. 90% of marine electrical problems come back to bad ground.

Thanks guys ,checked the ground all good. Removed it from the boat and tried another power source all same problem.

Are there anybody out there that services these radios or is it even worth it?

Thanks guys ,checked the ground all good. Removed it from the boat and tried another power source all same problem.

Are there anybody out there that services these radios or is it even worth it?
Personally I don't think it's worth it---especially if the radio is 4 or 5 years old-you wind up with a fixed old radio when for not a lot more you could be worry free with more features!

Personally I don't think it's worth it---especially if the radio is 4 or 5 years old-you wind up with a fixed old radio when for not a lot more you could be worry free with more features!
Agreed Spring Fever, I'm just going to buy a new. I don't use it much, just listen to other fishers giving there reports. I don't have a operators card anyway. Thanks guys.

If you are unlucky enough to run into an officious official, they will tell you that even merely switching on a marine VHF is legally considered to be operating the radio and therefore requires the ROC-M operator card.

For what it's worth the ROC-M course is pretty cheap, easy and lasts for a lifetime.
I know it takes time and a little bit of money but peace of mind imo...

Back