VHF Antenna

juandesooka

Yesterday I bought a VHF antenna for my boat. I want to avoid drilling holes if possible, so I chose a rail mount. They said the mount can only support the 3' whip antenna, 3db gain. They also said it needs 360 degree open view from the base to be effective -- which it won't have on my rail, blocked by windshield and canvas.

Anyone have experience with these short antennas? Going to be good enough, or will I regret it, and better to get the normal 8' antenna and drill the holes?

Unless you can mount the 3' antenna very high on the boat with 360 degrees open view... get the 8'
Drill the holes. You will always have an antenna on the boat so the holes will never be exposed. The hole only has to be big enough for the coax to go through.
VHF is line of sight. Higher the better. VHF is a life line don't mess around.

Tips

there is suppose to be a formula which allows you to figure out the distance you can get from the antenna based on how high it is mounted. does anyone know what that is?

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

Yesterday I bought a VHF antenna for my boat. I want to avoid drilling holes if possible, so I chose a rail mount. They said the mount can only support the 3' whip antenna, 3db gain. They also said it needs 360 degree open view from the base to be effective -- which it won't have on my rail, blocked by windshield and canvas.

Anyone have experience with these short antennas? Going to be good enough, or will I regret it, and better to get the normal 8' antenna and drill the holes?

Basic rule of radio antennas - mount it as high as possible for maximum distance.

On my last boat, the antenna was mounted on the gunnel. Not the best place, but it was an 8' fibreglass antenna, so not too bad. when time came to replace the antenna because the top 1/3 had broken off, I added a piece of conduit to extend the base of the anttena above the roofline of the boat. Increased the distance I could communicate with greatly! My only regret is that I didn't extend it even higher.

Of course, where I fish, I have to transmit about 25 to 30 miles, over top of Nootka Island and its mountains! Your mileage may vary. :D

Back