VHF 101 - little help with the basics

Ian

So I was given a handheld VHF radio, no manual or instructions. I basically fish west van out of my 14' aluminum.

What are the basic dos and don'ts?

To be flat out honest I haven't done any research yet, figured I'd stop here first...

Very best,

Ian

Well I'd definitely recommend that you take the proper ROC-M course. This VHF could save your life or someone else's so you should know how to use it properly. Plus it's the law.

So I was given a handheld VHF radio, no manual or instructions. I basically fish west van out of my 14' aluminum.

What are the basic dos and don'ts?

To be flat out honest I haven't done any research yet, figured I'd stop here first...

Very best,

Ian

Hi Ian:
You are actually required to take your restricted operators course. I I got mine as part of the power squadron course. It is a basic course and will teach you everything from educate to proper procedures and working channels vrs emergency. Most communities hold the power squadron course a couple times a year at least.

Cheers: Ray

You might want to google the make and model of your radio and see if an instruction manual pops up. That might get you the basic operation. Apart from that, there's always the on/off button and channel 16. But as the posters above have pointed out - to use the radio legally, you need to have a "Restricted Operators" license which you can get after taking a course through your local power squadron.

Power Squadron offers both a boating course as well as a VHF Radio Course. The Boating Course generally runs for a couple of hours per week for a couple months and the final exam includes the questions needed for your Pleasure Craft Operators License if you don't already have that. The VHF course, if I recall correctly, runs for a couple a couple of hours for a couple of nights and the final exam will get you your Restricted Operator License for your VHF. I can't recall whether the Boating course is a pre requisite for the VHF Course. You should get in touch with your local Power Squadron. I also expect you can get the VHF license without taking the courses. I'd google the thing and see what you have to do. Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html#operatorlicense

All of the above posts are correct, but there are probably more unlicensed radios and users on our coast than not. Monitor channel 16 for coast guard, and call for help if you need it. There are proper ways but I am not about to go into that here. A call for help and they will come and they won't be asking to see your license first.

For those unwilling to take the course, at least brush up on your usage and channels. As BOD said, there are many many boaters that do not know how to use the VHF safely. I can be included in this group because I have yet to get me ROC. Prior to enrolling that didn't stop me from doing some research. Here is a good sight that covers some of the basics. Worth a look but it should in NO WAY be a substitute for the course we are required by law to take to operate a VHF.

Again, this is not a substitute, but a good aid none-the-less.

http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html

The related links at the bottom of the page should be reviewed as well. Good info, not a substitute, can't stress that enough.

Be safe out thurr

I have a Standard Horizon HX290 handheld.

Apparently the monitor station up here is Ch 16 but the states is different.

Mine has 24/7 mariner "weather" stations on it. They are area specific/location. One is channel 3 I think but there are several others.

If you don't have the manual for yours, it pays to go online and look it up....

I have a Standard Horizon HX290 handheld.

Apparently the monitor station up here is Ch 16 but the states is different.

Mine has 24/7 mariner "weather" stations on it. They are area specific/location. One is channel 3 I think but there are several others.

If you don't have the manual for yours, it pays to go online and look it up....

Channel 16 is actually the international hailing and distress channel. This is why people should take the course....

Welcome Ian, Just to clarify what BOD mentioned - yes you need to get your ROC certification/course done for yourself to operate the marine VHF but the radio itself no longer needs a Gov. licence. There was a time where Industry Canada required you to licence the radio itself . CZ5739 for example was my licence for my 1st radio in the seventies ( Some guys here likely remember that - I am really not all that old! :O ) . I beleive there was about a $40 fee per year later on but that particular licence for the radio was scrapped many years ago.

Ian, for pleasure craft operators the ROC is required if you use a VHF. The PCOC is required to operate a boat if you are an operator of a pleasure craft - Did your PCOC course not mention that the ROC certification is required if you use a marine VHF radio ??

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were buying a handheld I would want one that had GPS built in and one button DSC, floating capable and long battery life. If you ever have to go into the water these features could save your life when your coordination and muscles shut down, you can’t use your fingers and your teeth are chattering so much you can’t talk. With built in GPS and DSC they could even find you in the dark or fog and you are unconscious in your floation gear.

If I were buying a handheld I would want one that had GPS built in and one button DSC, floating capable and long battery life. If you ever have to go into the water these features could save your life when your coordination and muscles shut down, you can’t use your fingers and your teeth are chattering so much you can’t talk. With built in GPS and DSC they could even find you in the dark or fog and you are unconscious in your floation gear.

Don't want tyo stray too far from Ian's post/inquiry here ( sorry Ian) but X 2 on that Rockfish. The HX290 has those features as I recall and is the one I am going to get. Wondering if there is a portable yet that is AIS capable as well ?

Welcome Ian, Just to clarify what BOD mentioned - yes you need to get your ROC certification/course done for yourself to operate the marine VHF but the radio itself no longer needs a Gov. licence. There was a time where Industry Canada required you to licence the radio itself . CZ5739 for example was my licence for my 1st radio in the seventies ( Some guys here likely remember that - I am really not all that old! :O ) . I beleive there was about a $40 fee per year later on but that particular licence for the radio was scrapped many years ago.

Ian, for pleasure craft operators the ROC is required if you use a VHF. The PCOC is required to operate a boat if you are an operator of a pleasure craft - Did your PCOC course not mention that the ROC certification is required if you use a marine VHF radio ??

I did my PBOC the first year it was required back east, and at the time VHF wasn't on my radar ( is that a nautical pun). Spending more time on the chuck and saving for a bigger boat has me wanting to increase my skills. A friend in the states just got his capt. License which got me thinking and looking, no equivalent up here, but some of the PS courses look similar.

Very best,

Ian

Actually one can take a captain's licence if you like- a commercial requirement "Master" ticket. The 60 tonne ticket I beleive it is still an over 5 tonne commercial requirement for operation of a commercial vesesel over 5 tonnes (roughly a 27/28 footer ) I beleive there is still no lesser requirement for vessels between 5-15 tonne. The SVOP is required commercially for small commercials up to 5 tonne. It was hoped that would cover up to 15 tonne but not sure where that has gone.
For some more advanced certifications commercially required but also would be great to have as a pleasure craft operator is the MEDA3 or the more involved MEDA2 ( Marine Emergency Duty). MED trains use of survival suit, life rafts, man overboard and fighting fires.

The TC regs are here "http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/backgrounders-b04-m055e-1329.htm#Marine_VHF" half way down the page is a brief about marine vhf radios. Course dates and places are here "http://www.cps-ecp.ca/public/public.asp?WCE=C=39|K=225480|RefreshT=234675|RefreshS=LeftNav|RefreshD=2346751" get the DSC endorsement too.

yeah I have the HX851 a step up from the HX290.... very cool DSC and stores way points as well, and can be used to navigate if necessary. It has its own MMSI number so I can carry it with me if I am someones else's boat as it idenifies myself not the boat. The MMSI is different than my VHF on the boat....Got it fotr those reasons one push if I get thrown in the water by myself, or am separated from my boat for any reason...

I have the same radio, with the same MMSI set up, for the same reason. The HX851 has DSC; the HX291 does not.

Back