Vessel capsized off west coast

Decades ago the Nitinat produced some huge Chinook (probly sill does)
which milled around in front of the lake waiting to spawn.
My in-laws used to fish there and it was not uncommon to catch fish in the high 30"s and
into the mid 40's.
True story. I fished with my dad there as a kid.I have a picture of my Dad with a very large spring.

Nitnat 1996. This was a combat fishery at high tide when the bite started. We caught 10 fish over 40 lbs during the 90's. We almost flipped my 23 Grady when a rogue wave caught us in shallow water trying to land a spring. If I wasn't full with gas, we would have flipped. Scan.jpg

Nitnat 1996. This was a combat fishery at high tide when the bite started. We caught 10 fish over 40 lbs during the 90's. We almost flipped my 23 Grady when a rogue wave caught us in shallow water trying to land a spring. If I wasn't full with gas, we would have flipped. View attachment 79931
I couldn't imagine fishing now, having fished then. I don't know any different.

Decades ago the Nitinat produced some huge Chinook (probly sill does)
which milled around in front of the lake waiting to spawn.
My in-laws used to fish there and it was not uncommon to catch fish in the high 30"s and
into the mid 40's.
Not worth the bar crossing anymore I was told by guys who know more then I do, fishing west of the river mouth is where it’s at now, even then it’s a long run for a few fish, nice boat ride when the weather is nice

Fishing Guides rarely to into Nitinat Lake. They fish the outside shoreline, then head out to swiftsure.
I'm saying don't go to area 21 Nitnat and expect to tub out if you are unfamiliar. It's a great place but with some local knowledge it will be a better experience. I used to guide there. These guys were returning from the bank to the lake.

Our rescue helos are in Comox. The Americans are in Port Angeles. We have a reciprocal agreement with the states for the strait of Juan de Fuca. The system works well considering how rugged our coastline is and the stupid things people do.
Got Bless America.

Ya, agreed, but I can't help but think this deal favours us.

Meanwhile, whether it’s your guys or our guys, —-God bless all those SAR guys.....

I spent a few years in the Bering Sea and heard some really harrowing maydays on the VHF in absolutely brutal weather. I found it both unbelievable and spectacular that the CG guys out of Kodiak would chopper out to the Bering in 70 knot blows to snatch fishermen from certain death while hugely increasing the risk of their own while doing that.

Meanwhile, whether it’s your guys or our guys, —-God bless all those SAR guys.....

I spent a few years in the Bering Sea and heard some really harrowing maydays on the VHF in absolutely brutal weather. I found it both unbelievable and spectacular that the CG guys out of Kodiak would chopper out to the Bering in 70 knot blows to snatch fishermen from certain death while hugely increasing the risk of their own while doing that.
they are a special breed, i have a friend that spent his career in USCG some pretty intense accounts of missions

they are a special breed, i have a friend that spent his career in USCG some pretty intense accounts of missions
I look at those guys, gals as the seals of first responders, definitely special people that do this for a living, and not paid what they deserve to boot

All these guys I think are local in Sooke/Vic area so I really hope it isn't anyone I have met in past at one of our derbies. What a really ****** thing for the families. Just takes one wrong move out there, and lights out.

If it’s the same boat I think, Relentless, the owner is a regular at Prm and the kid that guides for him is also a regular, I taught that boat was a sea sport , or osprey, might not be the same boat, regardless it’s a messed up deal. Stay safe out there boys, no fish is worth your life or any else on board of your boat

Back