Vessel capsized off west coast

That's a nasty piece of water. Not good.
i know the area thanks to youtube but why do people travel in and out of the lake? is there infrastructure up there? it just seems like a suicidal place to play around in.

Reminds me of the Seymour Narrows in the sense that i always see people playing in the huge tidal whirlpools. when i go thru the narrows i am going as fast as possible, not lollygagging around. many a lost soul down there….

Going through the gap at the wrong time is suicidal. A friend and co-worker attempted that many years ago. Their 20 foot boat broached and went down. He and his son survived only because other, nearby fishermen came to their rescue.

Like so many things on the water, people NEED TO USE COMMON SENSE.
I have gone in and out many times when it's like a millpond.
Big ocean swell on an ebb tide is high risk!
AND be aware of the rock inside the lake on the Southish side of the opening.
It has taken out many a propeller!!

I took my first 65'seine boat over the bar and right into the lake in 1988 to fish dog salmon, definitely an adventure. My buddy took a bad wave in 1990 in his gilnetter there and broke both his legs.

I have been through there many times, kind of one of those, you need right tide and weather, some guys have more balls then I do, haven’t been in there for over a decade now and don’t miss it, fish don’t hold in there like they use too. No fish is worth my life, definitely not for the rookie.

Have never fished there but wondering what the attraction is considering the potential risks in getting there?

Well, now you've piqued my interest. Is it a fishing thing or a scenery thing?
If it's a fishing thing have never seen many reports about it.
Thanks
Decades ago the Nitinat produced some huge Chinook (probly sill does)
which milled around in front of the lake waiting to spawn.
My in-laws used to fish there and it was not uncommon to catch fish in the high 30"s and
into the mid 40's.

Have never fished there but wondering what the attraction is considering the potential risks in getting there?
Usto be great fishing
Decades ago the Nitinat produced some huge Chinook (probly sill does)
which milled around in front of the lake waiting to spawn.
My in-laws used to fish there and it was not uncommon to catch fish in the high 30"s and
into the mid 40's.
they don’t stage in the lake like they usto when I was growing up usto Fish it with my brother and old man tons of great memories!! We launched in the lake and never crossed the bar

Thank God for the US Coast Guard. But the bigger question is why the **** can’t our Coast Guard Helos do the work? I hear the US guys out in Juan de Fuca all over supporting Canadians. I guess we can thank Justin for spending .7% a year on defence when it’s supposed to be 2%.

Thank God for the US Coast Guard. But the bigger question is why the **** can’t our Coast Guard Helos do the work? I hear the US guys out in Juan de Fuca all over supporting Canadians. I guess we can thank Justin for spending .7% a year on defence when it’s supposed to be 2%.
Our rescue helos are in Comox. The Americans are in Port Angeles. We have a reciprocal agreement with the states for the strait of Juan de Fuca. The system works well considering how rugged our coastline is and the stupid things people do.

Back