Vancouver Salmon Classic

Well apparently everyone but me is an expert on the mortality rates of fish. I was merely stating a fact. If a person goes fishing for the purpose of keeping his catch, an honest fisherman goes out catches a few fish legally lets the undersize or restricted fish go and once he's satisfied that he's caught what he can realistically eat without wasting anything departs the premises while still having a great time. If however a person goes out for the shear sport of it your no different than a hunter who shoots a lion takes the head and leaves the rest to the vultures. Let's not pretend that fish caught and released are done so with white cotton gloves and a soft cushion. They are released as best as can be without netting or bringing them in the boat often hooked in gills or eyes and sometimes bleeding. You are fishing for money period not food not substinance but bragging rights and money. Not very sportsmanlike if you ask me. Shoot away!

That's rubbish!

Well apparently everyone but me is an expert on the mortality rates of fish. I was merely stating a fact. If a person goes fishing for the purpose of keeping his catch, an honest fisherman goes out catches a few fish legally lets the undersize or restricted fish go and once he's satisfied that he's caught what he can realistically eat without wasting anything departs the premises while still having a great time. If however a person goes out for the shear sport of it your no different than a hunter who shoots a lion takes the head and leaves the rest to the vultures. Let's not pretend that fish caught and released are done so with white cotton gloves and a soft cushion. They are released as best as can be without netting or bringing them in the boat often hooked in gills or eyes and sometimes bleeding. You are fishing for money period not food not substinance but bragging rights and money. Not very sportsmanlike if you ask me. Shoot away!

OMFG

You are beyond belief. BigBruce was 100 per cent on the mark. You really enjoy "trolling".
This thread is to promote a very worthwhile derby. If you do not wish to attend, simply don't go.

Start your own thread if you want to endlessly argue the merits of catch and release.

Last edited:
I agree that the weighing process sounds far from perfect. Chinook are very large fish, and it is difficult to do a live capture, weigh, and release without harming the fish. The fish may end up dying as a result. I would rather see a fish quickly played and released, as this is the least stressful on the fish. However, at least with a derby like this the fish has a chance at survival. Bonk and weigh derbies put huge pressure on our dwindling resources. To bash this type of event does a disservice to all involved. Their heart is obviously in the right place, with conservation being a primary concern. Yes there will be mortalities, but not the %100 mortality that takes place in Bonk and weigh derbies. Derbies place a huge strain on fish resources, this is a way to allow for derbies to be held without (hopefully) harming the resource significantly. One lower island derby was recently canceled because of concerns over fish abundance, and another had to be rescheduled because of restrictions in place because of low returns. This allows a derby to take place without a %100 mortality to the fish. This type of derby should be encouraged not, bashed. Hopefully the weigh and release process can be improved over time to have the greatest chance of survival for all fish captured.

Give the organizers a break. The days of the Wild West where everyone kills everything they feel like whenever they want are long gone. Conservation minded derbies need to be encouraged. Good on the organizers for trying to hold an event with less impact on fish stocks.

Well said, bonking is 100% ........ No chance for spawn supply.

HT

WOW !

KV1 do you realize that you just posted on a BC sport fishing forum ? If you dislike fishing for the sport of it I'd suggest it best to not post on a sport fishing forum, duh? lol.

I am all for listening to opinion but in this case I suggest you find a forum that appeals to those who may share in your dislike of fishing for the sport of it. It won't be the sporty/rec sector but I am pretty sure I know which sector will be happy to listen.

Those interested in the research of C&R salmon fishing might find the paper below of interest:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26199324

They are several other papers and studies in 'real world situations' that attest to the fact that IF done properly, catch and release of salmon can be done without significant mortality. That is why I believe derbies like the Vancouver Chinook Classic is a great way to further educate angers on this practice and change mindsets about responsible fishing in general. I won't dwell on some of the more negative comments on this thread but I am excited to take part in this event and look forward to seeing a lot of friends on the water in a couple of weeks participating in a fun event for a great cause.

This event contributes to the Pacific Salmon Foundation, as do many other local derbies. So, it is definitely a worthwhile derby to support if your into doing derbies. The Pacific Salmon Foundation lists this derby as one of its contributors, as well as many other derbbies held in our province. Most derbies give back money collected to Salmon enhancement, so if your going to do a derby pick one such as the Vancouver Salmon Classic that gives proceeds back to help our Salmon resources.

Were are you from !!!!!.......OMG... x2

Back