Vancouver Island Salmon Classic Derby

Sushihunter

Monday, January 19, 2009 PRESS RELEASE

The Vancouver Island Salmon Classic will be held September 3rd, 4th and 5th , 2009 bringing together some of the most skilled anglers in the world to participate in one of BC’s highest prized fishing competitions. A Southern Vancouver Island seaside community will be home to this $175,000 cash prize derby. With a $100,000 first prize, $50,000 second prize and a $25,000 third prize!

Sooke Harbour is a prime location, known for its natural beauty and accessibility to the sparkling clean waters of the Pacific Ocean, where the much-desired Chinook salmon journey the depths. The quaint community of Sooke is located just 35 minutes from Victoria, British Columbia and 45 minutes from the International Airport.

The Vancouver Island Salmon Classic will challenge anglers in a fishing competition located in one of North America’s most fertile fishing grounds, crowning the champions with prize money that only few anglers can imagine. A minimum of 40 teams must be registered by July 15th, 2009 and only a maximum number of 75 teams can participate for the $100,000 Grand Prize!

So, get your fishing team together and sign up early to ensure your teams entry!

For further information, please visit the official website: www.salmonclassic.ca

For inquires please contact Matthew Mackenzie, Key Official of the Vancouver Island Salmon Classic, by phone at 1-866-616-3236 or via email to info@salmonclassic.ca.

The Vancouver Island Classic is a world-class event, which will be unforgettable for the lucky few that choose to participate!
Matthew Mackenzie
Key Official – Vancouver Island Salmon Classic
General Manager – Sooke Harbour Resort & Marina
info@salmonclassic.ca
1-866-616-3236

I was real interested until I found out that the entry fee is $6,000 per team of 4... [xx(]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

The event is founded on a few fallacies--it's one firm with one short derby making it an elitist event. Get the whole of Victoria up to Sooke and Renfrew behind it, hold it over 5 to 7 days and make it a more reasonable entry fee so that EVERYONE in Sooke and Renfrew reap the benefits.

Just my .02

Let's see...1500 boats at an entry fee of $500 each (prior to fishing) ...hey...that's not bad...plus fuel, anchovies, accommodations, food, etc etc etc...now you're talkin'!!!

Yes, but the $6K fee does include accommodations and meals. Plus it pays for the big prizes.

Works out to $1,500 per fisherman (assuming 4 per team). It pays for 3 nights @ the Sooke Harbour House plus meals for 3 days plus the wrap up party. $500 per day.

They need 40 teams to make it work. $240,000 - $175,000 for prizes, leaves $65,000 for accommodations & meals costs - $1,625 per fisherman, $541.66 per day per fisherman.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

good for the sooke harbor house trying to drum up business, but they should have an option for those that dont want to stay there , just a derby ticket type of thing, and would be nice to know ahead exactly who the money will go to, not just a may go here or there type of thing

I was curious where the derby limits were. Here is what they told me:

"The area will be from Beechy Head to Point no Point.

The prizes will also be based on heaviest Chinook allowing for more potential prizes per team.

Have a wonderful day,

Matthew Mackenzie"

Not a great idea competing with the Port Alberni Derby the same weekend.

I just can't see getting this one off the ground. No harm in trying I guess.

With the US economy in rough shape there wouldn't be a great influx of US fishermen beating down the door to make it to this derby. Oil is currently floating in the mid-$30 range so our Alberta brothers are going to be feeling the financial heat soon. We know locally guys aren't flush with cash. Just can't see them getting the 45 entry fees.

On the bright side, if it's cancelled, maybe some of the guys who enter decide to come anyway and book a spot at the lodge so maybe a good way of building up some clientele.

Personally, I like the concept and would love to see a more accessible derby, with a larger number of lower entry fees with half the proceeds going to salmon enhancement.

when i last talked to matt their was 20 boats already entered and lots of guys looking for a guide or someone to take them for the weekend.

Back