using tablet as a chart plotter

waynard

Hi all,
I have always had fishfinders and paper charts, but am looking to use my tablet's gps function along with chart software as a chart plotter. I hear the name Navionics come up a fair bit.
As this is new to me, I'm looking for some information. How does this all work? Where can I find charts for Vancouver island? Does my tablet need to be in wifi range for it to work? What is the cost?
any info would be appreciated.
:confused:
tnx.

I have the navionics ap and a Bad Elf Bluetooth GPS unit . This works amazing on my iPad with a ram mount.
I use it as a backup,but realistically with the new Bad Elf,extremely accurate.. WIFI is not needed. The internal GPS on the newer iPads work sort of,but not quick enough in my opinion.
I use this side by side with my HDS Gen2 with Point 1 GPS antennae and performance is very comparable..
The big screen on the iPad is great and the navionics ap excellent.. Think I paid $50 for the ap.
Bad Elf units are for sale online.. Shop around for the best deal.

I just got the simrad G07 and can control through tablet wirelessly. So honestly the tablet debate is over..If you get any of the new lowrance touchscreens they connect wireless with tablet and you control your main..I can now have a huge screen at back of boat without getting extra unit.

I am putting into a waterproof case but so far just testing its awesome..

another question. I have an option to buy a Lowrance elite 7 Hd, which looks like a pretty complete machine. I haven't checked it out yet, but does it have the capability of connecting to my Samsung tab 4 through bluetooth? It would be nice to have a display on both decks.

You need one of the HDS units to connect a tablet. These devices actually connect via WiFi not Bluetooth. The HDS Gen-2 uses an external WiFi/Ethernet switch and the Gen-3 units have the WiFi built in. The unit creates a WiFi hotspot on your boat that the tablet can join. The tablet then runs an App called GoFree that basically mirrors and allows you to control the screen on the chartplotter.

Personally, I am not a fan of tablets to replace chartplotters. The major drawbacks I see:

- not waterproof without a case
- battery life / charging gymnastics / power-save modes / turning off at the wrong moment
- OS stability
- visibility when wearing polarized glasses
- stable mounting

I've tried both types of devices and still find that a purpose built chartplotter out performs a tablet all the time -- particularly at those critical moments when it's needed...

You need one of the HDS units to connect a tablet. These devices actually connect via WiFi not Bluetooth. The HDS Gen-2 uses an external WiFi/Ethernet switch and the Gen-3 units have the WiFi built in. The unit creates a WiFi hotspot on your boat that the tablet can join. The tablet then runs an App called GoFree that basically mirrors and allows you to control the screen on the chartplotter.

Personally, I am not a fan of tablets to replace chartplotters. The major drawbacks I see:

- not waterproof without a case
- battery life / charging gymnastics / power-save modes / turning off at the wrong moment
- OS stability
- visibility when wearing polarized glasses
- stable mounting

I've tried both types of devices and still find that a purpose built chartplotter out performs a tablet all the time -- particularly at those critical moments when it's needed...

I have an Elite 7 HDI with DSI but want something for up on the bridge. I think if I can get the tablet to mirror the unit, that would be great!

The Elite units don't have this option -- only the HDS units have the WiFi connectivity and Ethernet networking capabilities.

I have an Elite 7 HDI with DSI but want something for up on the bridge. I think if I can get the tablet to mirror the unit, that would be great!

The one I posted is Simrad equivalent with HDS...Same company..I have an elite 5 and these units dont communicate you need the HDS or Simrad newest version touch screens....

I wouldn't personally use a tablet as replacement.. And in this case with GoFree it isn't. But I tell you I just am picking up one of those cases http://www.amazon.com/DryCASE-Waterproof-Tablets-readers-DC-17/dp/B0047GME0W
And will not be mounting it... To have something that controls the main plotter is very useful IMHO..

I was testing it out a few nights ago...View attachment 19432

I have been a bit disappointed with my gofree system myself. Seems like there is too much lag time for it to be of any real use for us.

Back