US Residents-are you coming to BC this summer?

You got it Hombre. Be over in May to get things going while mi mujer esta en Espana. Will fish West of Sheringham given regs!! PM me and we can work out a trip outa Esqimalt Anglers

My group (of 12, with three boats) will be up again. We come for the fun and the chance to get away from the usual down here. The exchange rate doesn't influence our decision but it makes it nicer when we feel like we can spend more. Should make it for good for those places where we spend! It seems a bit crooked to spend thousands of dollars (CA or US) to travel many hours, to catch our own hatchery fish...but we love it and will keep doing it. BTW, you'll know it's me by the kids on the tubes off the back while we troll....

Are you going to be fishing Renfrew again this year?

Seadna are you coming for tuna shootout this year.
Probably not. I'd love to get up that way but this year the plan is to move the boat down to Westport on Sept 1. and leave it there for Sept/Oct. (and maybe even Nov). The tuna are in about 20 miles closer down at Westport and it's 3.5 hour trip from home (as opposed to 4.5 hours to Neah Bay). So once we've had our fill of salmon and bottom fish, it makes more sense for me to to target tuna out of Westport. Plus, I haven't done Westport for tuna so that will be a nice change of pace. Maybe I can find time to take the car across to at least participate in the drinking part.

BTW - it looks like this may be another El Nino year. If you look at the SST maps of the Pacific lately, there's a bulge of warm water that is already starting to move north (earlier than anything we've seen in the past few years). I'm thinking we may be getting into tuna very early this year and that we may even be seeing some of those other warm water fishies in our area. Maybe another yellowtail this year or maybe even something more interesting!

My brother and I will be fishing out of Westview Marina 7/30 through the morning of 8/4. While the favorable exchange rate is nice it doesn't have an impact on whether we make the trip or not. We get to do it once a year so we're going no matter what. I'm pretty confident that on my death bed I won't bemoan the amount of money I spend chasing salmon with my brother.

The exchange rate means little, but the ferry rates to the island went crazy so I stopped coming.

At about the same time I started fishing for tuna off the Oregon Coast and did little salmon.

Now that I have a larger Grady coming to me I may explore where to drop in and cross over. The exchange rate will have little to do with my planning.

The exchange rate means little, but the ferry rates to the island went crazy so I stopped coming.

At about the same time I started fishing for tuna off the Oregon Coast and did little salmon.

Now that I have a larger Grady coming to me I may explore where to drop in and cross over. The exchange rate will have little to do with my planning.

Not really a lot to explore! :D

You can drop in anywhere; however, if running a boat up the WCVI I would highly suggest getting a NEXUS, or at least a CANPASS and plan your Point of Entry (POE) accordingly.

This might help:http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Save Time at the Border

• NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.
  • CANPASS is a series of CBSA programs that expedite the border clearance process for frequent, low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada.

Years ago (prior to 9/11), a boater could literally clear Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) anywhere on the WCVI, by simply contacting CBSA on VHF, or by phone once docked. Now-a-days a very different story and there are NO POE on WCVI. You have two choices on the south end of Vancouver Island and here to tell you without a shadow of a doubt, CBSA will direct you to the closest POE - Victory or Oak Harbour.

<o:p The one in </oVictoria Inner Harbour is the easiest. Once inside the harbor you can’t miss the bright red “Customs Dock” with phone. You normally just call them and are cleared, if you have a NEXUS. If not, expect to wait for a Customs Agent. The one at Oak Harbour is less running time; however, they are more apt to send an Agent to inspect.

Again, coming back into the U.S., is rather easy if one has a NEXUS or the Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit Program (I-68) and can done via cell phone in the middle of the Strait. If you're not in these programs, you WILL be directed to the nearest POE (Port Angeles) and will also be setting and waiting for a Customs Agent.

If traveling between Canada and the U.S. by private boat, take the time and get a NEXUS... makes life a lot easier!

Last edited by a moderator:
good info. would be interesting to know the procedure going from Canada up to Alaska by water.... (departing near Prince Rupert....) probably getting off topic so my apologies if so.

I don't want to deter anyone from coming but a gallon of gas is costing us $5.72 per gallon right now and it's supposed to go up. Frickin oil companies are so greedy in Canada and the US. My recent trip to LA saw prices vary from 4.29 to 3.65 but not near 5 bucks a gallon.

I don't want to deter anyone from coming but a gallon of gas is costing us $5.72 per gallon right now and it's supposed to go up. Frickin oil companies are so greedy in Canada and the US. My recent trip to LA saw prices vary from 4.29 to 3.65 but not near 5 bucks a gallon.

But don't forget to factor in that the Canadian gallon is 20% larger than the US Gallon, so that $5.72 becomes $4.11 once you factor the gallon difference and the exchange rate.

One little detail about the Nexus pass - everyone on the boat must have one if you want the expedited clearance.

I HIGHY recommend any Canadian entering Alaska, have everyone onboard get a NEXUS! Entering into Canada and the U.S. – Every person onboard is required either a NEXUS or CANPASS or you will have to enter at a designated Port of Entry. At the POE they WILL ask to see those persons without being in those programs for the proper identification.

Now with that said… the rules are different reentering YOUR County – per Country and who you are trying to clear with. E.g. reentry at Friday Harbour – ALL U.S. residents must have a NEXUS or I-68, or they will have to go to the Customs dock and show proper identification. Reentry coming across the Strait of Juan de Fuca if the Master has a U.S. registered boat and a NEXUS clearance, normally they will ask what kind of proof of citizen the others have - PASSPORT. They will normally just ask for their PASSPORT number and clear you.

To the best of my knowledge anyone buying fuel at a dock in Canada is going to pay by the liter? Comparing your true cost you need to consider what you pay for by liter. The cost per Imperial gallon and US gallon might be a mute point as:

One US gallon = 3.78541178 liters
One Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 liters

FYI… I already know running “my” boat from Tacoma, WA to Esperanza, CA and fishing for a week is going to cost a solid $5000 USD! It is actually now cheaper (and more fun) to run to Port Renfrew than towing and paying those over-length ferry fares. The only question is the boat large enough to make the run from Victoria without having wait or worry about the weather. If you or not comfortable running in 20 knot winds and the fog - TAKE THE FERRY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I took prawn stars figure, multiplied by .8 for the gallon difference then by .9 for the exchange. Result is $4.16 (my bad on the nickel). However, if PS's $5.72 was the price for a US gallon, then my numbers are off.

$1.45 per litre X 3.78 = $5.48 per gallon is what we are paying

GULP!! :(

Back