US Residents-are you coming to BC this summer?

pescador

Just curious. You are all probably well aware that your US dollar now buys you 10% more than last summer (approx). I know your cost of living is still cheaper than ours even with this exchange differential improvement, but, is the difference going to influence your spending habits related to fishing in Canada this summer? If you haven't come up the last few years because the exchange rate wasn't favourable, will you this year? Will you make more trips up than you normally would? Or, would you have come anyway regardless of the exchange rate? I'm just curious if we're going to see a significant influx of WA/OR registered boats, and, how exchange rate fluctuations affect sportsman...

Sure hope not too many wn and or boats are around. Nothing worse than fishing in a crowd. And generally speaking they are the ones zig zagging

If there's an increase in US visitors it will be probably be the result of their improved economy; the added 10% savings may sweeten the pot. Some B.C fishing lodges have seen significant increases in summer bookings from States that have a stronger economy. I suspect recent good news re: record 2014 Columbian return will keep our western US neighbours busy in there own backyard?

I hope to see more trucks and boats on the highway this summer. I welcome them to the Island big time. With our dollar lower now, I hope to see more. It boosts the Island economy more than one thinks......

I'm obligated to go north whether the CAN$ is up, down or sideways.

Reason being---it's the only way I can get a shot at all those Columbia-bound springs that the Canadian fishermen intercept before they make it past Van Isle.

And I just love it when I'm up there, zig-zagging in and out of the fleet, making a general nuisance of myself, and a Canadian fishermen sidles up to my boat, gives me major stink-eye, and snarls at me to go back south and quit beating up "his" fish

Reason being---it's the only way I can get a shot at all those Columbia-bound springs that the Canadian fishermen intercept before they make it past Van Isle.

And I just love it when I'm up there, zig-zagging in and out of the fleet, making a general nuisance of myself, and a Canadian fishermen sidles up to my boat, gives me major stink-eye, and snarls at me to go back south and quit beating up "his" fish

We'll played "sharphooks" your welcome up here anytime..:)

Gave me a laugh sharphooks...thank-you.
He obviously hasn't read the hand book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope to see more trucks and boats on the highway this summer. I welcome them to the Island big time. With our dollar lower now, I hope to see more. It boosts the Island economy more than one thinks......

Me too!! I welcome all fishing visitors to our Island with or without their boats.

My regular American clients come regardless of the currency exchange rate......the are sold on the Vancouver Island fishing experience.

sure would be nice to get more american up here,,kinda tired of all the albertans. lol

I'll be up early (probably 1st weekend in May) to buy a license and to do some shopping in Stevetson. I'll get in a little hali fishing in Canadian waters (maybe one or two total as I'm fishing the U.S. season (all of 4 days) this year. I'll probably do a fall trip up the inside and will maybe prawn/fish then. Other than that, I'll mostly be "weaving in and out" on my side of the this year. Even with the exceptional skill of all you west coast VCI anglers, enough fish make it past the gauntlet that I can satisfy all my salmon needs in U.S. waters. I would appreciate it though it you guys would break off some nice spoons or other gear in their mouths so that when I catch them further south, I get a bonus. ;)

I'll be up early (probably 1st weekend in May) to buy a license and to do some shopping in Stevetson. I'll get in a little hali fishing in Canadian waters (maybe one or two total as I'm fishing the U.S. season (all of 4 days) this year. I'll probably do a fall trip up the inside and will maybe prawn/fish then. Other than that, I'll mostly be "weaving in and out" on my side of the this year. Even with the exceptional skill of all you west coast VCI anglers, enough fish make it past the gauntlet that I can satisfy all my salmon needs in U.S. waters. I would appreciate it though it you guys would break off some nice spoons or other gear in their mouths so that when I catch them further south, I get a bonus. ;)
Well played Seadna, well played..... BTW come on up anytime. You're welcome here anytime. Most American tourists here are very much more respectful of our waters and the fish in them than many of our locals. Just remember what B.C. stands for (Bring Cash)

I will do my best to do my part and put as many spoons in the mouths of as many Chinook as I can. I will also do my best to avoid catching any Kings, silvers, reds, humpies and otehr American salmon, but the Chinook and coho are fair game.:cool:

not sure about summer plans. we do enjoy parts of the island for sure as we have found some favorite spots to relax and enjoy. I know the local group from our fishing club will be headed back to Nootka for their annual trip, exchange rate not withstanding. the biggest bummer in MA6, that's the Port Angles 'area', is the 11 day halibut season. I am pondering whether or not to spring for a BC non resident and cross over the line and see about halibut on your side, we shall see. last year I was able to catch more than enough in our 12 day season so saw no need to come over for a visit. we normally scratch up enough salmon to satisfy everyone but not in the hot and heavy ways you folks can. can you sense the hesitancy? REELFAST might be over on your side so keep an eye, hard to miss :) and thanks for the gracious posts, they exemplify the attitudes of everyone we have met in BC.

Look forward meeting some of our american fisher friends again this summer. It's always good fun and even more so if they brought tons of their cheap beer! lol

Reelfast, look forward to seeing you on this side of the line. Both at Nootka and other points. Don't forget to bring us a couple of "Rainier Beers". I do Nootka mid July and then again mid August.

No problem that is why we are here to be friendly good neighbors

Yo, my comments were strictly tongue in cheek.

Truth is: I've learned a huge amount of stuff from you guys --- I'd rather be up in BC then just about any other place on the globe---stunning scenery and good people

And I take pride in not being a zig-zagger ---I'm usually off in a corner with my dog, minding my own business, trying to act like a Roman 'cause I know I'm in Rome

Where are you coming up from Sharphooks?
Just for the record, with very few exceptions I have found our American fishing visitors to be knowledgeable and respectful and have enjoyed their company on more then one occasion.
Should be a bumper year (if you can believe the predictions) and lots to go around.

My group (of 12, with three boats) will be up again. We come for the fun and the chance to get away from the usual down here. The exchange rate doesn't influence our decision but it makes it nicer when we feel like we can spend more. Should make it for good for those places where we spend! It seems a bit crooked to spend thousands of dollars (CA or US) to travel many hours, to catch our own hatchery fish...but we love it and will keep doing it. BTW, you'll know it's me by the kids on the tubes off the back while we troll....

I've always said that the "greatest" thing about being an American is that no matter where in the world I go, another American who is ruder than I has been there before and expectations are set very low. :) I need to make it back up to Tofino or Ukee at some point as I really love the area. However, next time, I think I just go with a guide as getting the boat there and mooring it is so expensive I can pay for a few days of guided trips. Also, when I was there with my own boat, I really didn't know the fishing areas and styles so well and really didn't do that great. Maybe next year.

Back