US Residents-are you coming to BC this summer?

Columbian return, does that mean you are coming back Sammy? :)

If there's an increase in US visitors it will be probably be the result of their improved economy; the added 10% savings may sweeten the pot. Some B.C fishing lodges have seen significant increases in summer bookings from States that have a stronger economy. I suspect recent good news re: record 2014 Columbian return will keep our western US neighbours busy in there own backyard?

Hey man I zig-zag also, must come from my lake trout fishing experience. :)

sure would be nice to get more american up here,,kinda tired of all the albertans. lol

Columbian return, does that mean you are coming back Sammy? :)

coming back to Columbia or Colombia...most likely the latter - avoid freezer burn...:)

Ya, I used to listen to KOL and KJR in Victoria and loved those commercials. Kinda miss the beer too....

We will be there for 2 trips. I will be there with my buddies the first trip and my wife the second. We will drive up with our boat and camper in late June and fish for 10 days, fly home and then back to VI in late August. We will store the boat and camper in Tofino between trips. We will drive home after the August trip.

Last year we did 3 trips. This year we will only do two. We are going on another trip that won't let us make the third trip to VI. But, we will spend more time each trip.

The economy has only a little to do with whether or not we go to VI. We would go if we were almost broke. The additional exchange is just a bonus. We just love it up there and can't wait for retirement so that we can spend even more time on the island. It is really God's country.

We have been going up to Tofino for 5 years now. The past 4 we have used our own boat and stayed in our camper. There has sure been a learning curve, but the people up there, especially fishtofino (from this board) have been super helpful and friendly. They have helped get us getoriented and we catch fish.

Three months and counting!

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be running from Port Angeles to Border Bank later in the summer for hopefully halibut. I guess all of you BC gents know our Washington halibut season sucks big time.

What brand beer should I have in the boat for my B.C. fishing brothers? If anyone sees my Mako 22 Center Console, run over for a cold one.

Pick Up Trip 29 July 2012 006.jpg

I will be running from Port Angeles to Border Bank later in the summer for hopefully halibut. I guess all of you BC gents know our Washington halibut season sucks big time.

What brand beer should I have in the boat for my B.C. fishing brothers? If anyone sees my Mako 22 Center Console, run over for a cold one.

View attachment 11066

Don't care as long as it's clean and cold :cool:! Maybe come a little closer to town - Constance or Oak Bay - Border Bank is far out from here...

We come up every year regardless of the exchange rate. Last summer some of your brothers gave our camp site on the US side south of Renfrew a gift of a cooler half full of Sleemans a little Lucky and a small bottle of Fireball. The handles were ripped off of the cooler and it was floating in the strait. Thanks for that.

There are more opportunities to fish in bc as well as great places to stay at in the Gulf Islands. We'll probably make three trips to bc this year. The Anacortes ferry to Sydney is half price for rv's during the summer months. And yes your beer is expensive.

Watch it-- if I found a cooler floating around with Luckys , I would suspect it was a trap!!!! So many good beers in Canada-- why would anybody drink that stuff? Lucky BAD-- Sleemans GOOD!! LOL!!!

The exchange rate doesn't factor in for me the number of trips I make. The number of free weekends I can get away is the key factor. For me the expense that I dislike the most is the ferry and that is why I take my boat over in May and leave it until August or September. The area that seems to have gotten really popular the last few years for US residents is around Rivers Inlet. Tons of bring your own boat fishermen from the Puget Sound areas.

If anyone spots a 24 XL Seasport named Saanauk or a 20 ft Wooldridge named Tlinget Princess around Esperanza or Rivers Inlet say Hi and I will send beer your way. The beer up on the island is so expensive I stock pile it up there during the slower fishing months. You have to excuse me calling Chinook "kings" but have plenty of beer to share.

my oldest brat has a summer job in Tahsis at a fishing lodge (thanks for the tips SFBCers) so come on up north of the 49th!
as FA says, just remember that you are in Rome lol

Come on up and enjoy the great fishing. All those boats zig zaggin around generally being a pain in the butt would be the locals who found that cooler of Lucky's.

We spend all the time allowed, 5mo 29 days in Barkley Sound area each year. We have been cruising B.C. waters for the last ten years, and the exchange rate doesn't really affect us. Most of the cruisers are of the same opinion. Besides, it's great up there!

We have a place in Barkley Sound so the exchange rate doesn't have much effect our our number of visits to the WCVI. It's going to be soooo good this year! Aside from Barkley, I'm also seriously considering a visit to downtown Vancouver to do target the huge run predicted for the Fraser. Does anyone have any advice for moorage etc?

I try to get up there 2 to 3 times a year. Poor economy or slow fishing it does not really matter. Meet some nice people, catch fish, drink beer, gotta love WCVI / Nootka the happiest place on earth.

Back