Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

So who do you deal with ?? Remember what the Cons did to Fisheries while they were in power......

The question you should ask your self is who do you want to be in goverment over the next few years while the goverment is re-witting the allocation policy, putting in place MPA's, dealing with seals and Reviewing SRKW regulations.

Keep in mind that you have two options Liberals or Cons.

So who do you deal with ?? Remember what the Cons did to Fisheries while they were in power......
Yeah and John Duncan was their man... who favoured the commercial sector

I'm just saying that he is a tree hugger that is only showing interest because there's a chance at re election on the horizon. I feel we should be going after the Conservative candidates to try and educate them on our situation instead of focusing on what happened in the past

Yeah and John Duncan was their man... who favoured the commercial sector

I'm just saying that he is a tree hugger that is only showing interest because there's a chance at re election on the horizon. I feel we should be going after the Conservative candidates to try and educate them on our situation instead of focusing on what happened in the past

58831693_10218594937685087_3560813843011600384_n.jpg

I wouldn’t pin your hopes on Gordon Johns. I haven’t been satisfied with him as my MP

Nor am I at this point. We well covered the real issues here, and he did note he had them front and center in his mind. But when it came time for action, it seems all of that simply left his focus. As in completely.

I'll be reaching out to his Conservative Opponent this week. Let you know if there appears to be any light coming from that tunnel...

Cheers,
Nog

Thomas SewidtoPACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY
Yesterday at 10:15 ·

Monday in Nanaimo/Ladysmith electoral riding on Vancouver Island there's a bi-election for M.P. (Member of Parliament) John Hirst the Conservative candidate has put forth his support for a seal and sea lion harvest.

Pacific Balance Pinniped Society likes the vision that John Hirst is showing. Seeing as the winner of this bi-election will be in Ottawa, it's imperative that someone who knows well a seal and sea lion harvest is warranted, needs to be elected.

Voting Green Party or GreenDP a.k.a NDP one will never see their M.P.s or Government support a seal or sea lion harvest.

We are seeing that the seal and sea lion harvest P.B.P.S. has been advocating for almost a year now has been noticed by the politicians. I see it actually becoming a major issue in B.C. Provincial politics and even building momentum at the Federal political level.

The east coast wants and needs a seal cull and the northern arctic coast including Hudson Bay, the people's economy has been devastated by the E.U. ban on seal products. Yes, seals are a building issue that those politicians that play their cards right and support harvests/culls will be elected in or retain seats on Provincial or Federal Governments.

If you are a fisher in the Nanaimo/Ladysmith riding you now see who the vote should go to. Remember, your vote counts and please take the time to get out and make that most important vote!

If your not from the riding, please share this post with groups and people that are in that riding.

For more information or to get letter.
JohnHirst@JohnHirst.ca (778) 674-4778

Conservative candidate concerned about DFO restrictions of Chinook Salmon fishing
April 22, 2019
For immediate release
NANAIMO: The recent Chinook fishing restrictions imposed by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans
will negatively impact Nanaimo-Ladysmith, says the Conservative candidate in the May 6 by-election.
John Hirst said sport and commercial fishing contribute significantly to the economy on the west coast.
It is the largest component of fisheries and employs more than 60 per cent of the jobs in that sector.
“The restrictions placed upon this industry will ruin companies and destroy jobs”, said Hirst.
“The major problem for Chinook salmon is the over population of seals. First Nations leaders tell us the
lack of hunting since the 1970s is an abnormality, as seals have been hunted for thousands of years,”
Hirst added.
This has allowed the population to balloon from an estimated 8,600 to more than 100,000. These seals
eat six times the number salmon compared to all fishing activities combined, he said. Seals have
contributed to the decline of Southern Resident Killer Whales by us competing for their primary food
source – Salmon.
“This heavy-handed measure by the DFO without consultation with all shareholders is a policy failure at
the expense of the West Coast. It comes at a time when Nanaimo-Ladysmith is without a voice in
Ottawa due to our previous MP's resignation”.
Many scientists, conservationists, fishermen, and First Nation leaders have called for a cull of the seal
population. Experts advise this is the quickest way to reverse declining Salmon stocks. This solution of
limited seal harvesting would not only open a new industry but would protect the important existing
industries of sport and commercial fishing on the west coast. This solution would most effectively
protect our Salmon stocks and our endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales.
Hirst said the Green Party opposes a seal cull and the Liberal Government has chosen this path that will
hurt our industries and environment.
If elected May 6, Hirst said he will immediately consult all stakeholders and fight for solutions that
protect our environment and industries.

Thanks FT. That's a breath of fresh air considering the BS from all the rest of the politicos.
I will indeed reach out to him and request a sit-down very soon.

Thanks!
Matt

Thanks FT. That's a breath of fresh air considering the BS from all the rest of the politicos.
I will indeed reach out to him and request a sit-down very soon.

Thanks!
Matt

It all sounds good, Matt, but make sure you challenge him on the past Conservative Government's record on the Fisheries file. The deep cuts to DFO, particularly on the front line as well as the removal of protections for lakes and rivers and the cuts to salmon enhancement programs.
Should the Conservatives win the next election, they are going to be following a Government that has run significant deficits for the past 4 years. They're going to want to cut, cut, cut...

It all sounds good, Matt, but make sure you challenge him on the past Conservative Government's record on the Fisheries file. The deep cuts to DFO, particularly on the front line as well as the removal of protections for lakes and rivers and the cuts to salmon enhancement programs.
Should the Conservatives win the next election, they are going to be following a Government that has run significant deficits for the past 4 years. They're going to want to cut, cut, cut...
How else are they going to address the massive deficits?

People can’t seem to remember the fact that Harper had to bring Canada through one of the worst recessions in modern times, a world wide recession and he did so quite well. Our economies in Canada for the most part didn’t even know it was going on, we breezed through it. BC had some of its best growth during that time. It’s very simple guys, If your house is falling apart you don’t put new furniture in it ! You fix the foundation then you work on the rest. There were some decent budgets for the west coast in his plans after the 2015 election, yes bribe money maybe,, but take it when you can get it. Yes there will be cuts from a Scheer government but man,, there has to be, the money pit isn’t endless, it’s borrowed money it has to be paid back, it’s not free ! Just depends where the cuts are made.

People can’t seem to remember the fact that Harper had to bring Canada through one of the worst recessions in modern times, a world wide recession and he did so quite well. Our economies in Canada for the most part didn’t even know it was going on, we breezed through it. BC had some of its best growth during that time. It’s very simple guys, If your house is falling apart you don’t put new furniture in it ! You fix the foundation then you work on the rest. There were some decent budgets for the west coast in his plans after the 2015 election, yes bribe money maybe,, but take it when you can get it. Yes there will be cuts from a Scheer government but man,, there has to be, the money pit isn’t endless, it’s borrowed money it has to be paid back, it’s not free ! Just depends where the cuts are made.

That's exactly my point. Last time the Conservatives held Government, they cut the **** out of the programs that supported the West Coast salmon fishery - no doubt leading, to some extent, to the problems we face today. We need some assurance that when they cut, they don't do the same thing again.
So on one hand, we have a Liberal Government that has made a bone-headed political decision with respect to the salmon fishery, but restored much of the funding that was cut by the Conservatives and has, together with the Provincial Government, pledged to spend another $140 million on enhancement and restoration projects - I know, I know, the proof will be in the pudding on how much of that money is actually spent. All I want, on the other hand, is some commitment from the Conservatives that they won't reverse all that funding.
This Hirst fellow is saying all the right things about the current issues around the closure and seals - but what about the rest if it???

He's a good guy. I met him last fall at his place of business before he was running for the seat

Conservative candidate John Hirst says the Chinook sport fishing closure is not based on science. Nanaimo area anglers have no impact on the Chinook headed toward the Fraser River, but will negatively impact Nanaimo-Ladysmith.

Hirst said sport and commercial fishing contribute significantly to the economy on the west coast. It is the largest component of fisheries and employs more than 60 per cent of the jobs in that sector.

“The restrictions placed upon this industry will ruin companies and destroy jobs”, said Hirst.

“The major problem for Chinook salmon is the over population of seals. First Nations leaders tell us the lack of hunting since the 1970s is an abnormality, as seals have been hunted for thousands of years,” Hirst added.

I've been contacted by a staff member in Rachel Blaney's office asking if I can take a call regarding the Chinook widespread non-retention issue. I've written her a couple of letters of late pointing out inaccuracies in the information the Libs are using to close the Chinook fishery. Namely that all Chinook stocks are in crisis, the message the Libs are getting out. Granted, upper Fraser stock are hurting, but check the sport fishing exploitation rate, .7% compared to the upper Fraser gill net exploitation rate at 60% . I heard somewhere that less than 2000 upper Fraser and tributaries Chinook made it to the spawning beds. The FSC self reported catch was about 2600 last year. That doesn't take into account all of the non-reported FSC catch. It's pretty obvious where the greatest rate of exploitation is, and these are the same folks that recommended closing fishing to everyone else. I pointed out to Ms. Blaney that Chinook fishing has been excellent in the S.O.G. for 5 or more years. If these S.O.G. stocks are in crisis, how can the fishing be so good? I pointed out that a lot of the Chinook we are catching in S.O.G. are non-marked hatchery Chinook from E.C.V.I hatcheries, emphasizing that there is an immediate need for marking hatchery fish to move toward a mark selective fishery . Any thoughts before my conversation?

I've been contacted by a staff member in Rachel Blaney's office asking if I can take a call regarding the Chinook widespread non-retention issue. I've written her a couple of letters of late pointing out inaccuracies in the information the Libs are using to close the Chinook fishery. Namely that all Chinook stocks are in crisis, the message the Libs are getting out. Granted, upper Fraser stock are hurting, but check the sport fishing exploitation rate, .7% compared to the upper Fraser gill net exploitation rate at 60% . I heard somewhere that less than 2000 upper Fraser and tributaries Chinook made it to the spawning beds. The FSC self reported catch was about 2600 last year. That doesn't take into account all of the non-reported FSC catch. It's pretty obvious where the greatest rate of exploitation is, and these are the same folks that recommended closing fishing to everyone else. I pointed out to Ms. Blaney that Chinook fishing has been excellent in the S.O.G. for 5 or more years. If these S.O.G. stocks are in crisis, how can the fishing be so good? I pointed out that a lot of the Chinook we are catching in S.O.G. are non-marked hatchery Chinook from E.C.V.I hatcheries, emphasizing that there is an immediate need for marking hatchery fish to move toward a mark selective fishery . Any thoughts before my conversation?
You've drawn on some very important conservation measures. I'm not sure what angle you want to attack this from, but pointing out that there is also a substantial economic impact might be worth while bringing up. I'm sure you could speak to some businesses, guides, marinas and sport fishing stores in your area to get a general idea of how much their businesses being impacted? This is definitely not saying that the closure is an economic argument but it is part of it. A lot of recreational Anglers dollars that gets spent go back into helping grow Chinook populations. Just look at what's given back to PSF thru the salmon stamp and a number of angling guides who donate Charters, time etc!

Straight up ask her if her government would support the closures. Because I almost guarantee she will skirt the question as she did with me

Straight up ask her if her government would support the closures. Because I almost guarantee she will skirt the question as she did with me
A very important point here. Just changing Governments because you assume a new one will do things differently is foolish on our part. Ask your question directly and let them know you want a straight up answer!

You've drawn on some very important conservation measures. I'm not sure what angle you want to attack this from, but pointing out that there is also a substantial economic impact might be worth while bringing up. I'm sure you could speak to some businesses, guides, marinas and sport fishing stores in your area to get a general idea of how much their businesses being impacted? This is definitely not saying that the closure is an economic argument but it is part of it. A lot of recreational Anglers dollars that gets spent go back into helping grow Chinook populations. Just look at what's given back to PSF thru the salmon stamp and a number of angling guides who donate Charters, time etc!
I' m co-owner of a tackle shop in Campbell River, so I'm intimately aware of the hardship this non-retention is going to cause. Guides and lodges are getting cancellations, no new bookings. My own business, sales are already off the norm. We won't be hiring as many summer staff this year. Customers are talking about selling their boats, guides are worried about surviving and most everybody is seething mad. The local salmon derby that has raised a ton of money for salmon enhancement has of course been cancelled. It's held in June, too late to re-shcedule this year. Our business also donates merchandise for fundraisers to PSF, Oyster River Enhancement Society, Campbell River Salmon Foundation, Gillard Pass Fisheries association, just to name a few. I've contacted the Conservative candidate for our riding and have never heard back.

I' m co-owner of a tackle shop in Campbell River, so I'm intimately aware of the hardship this non-retention is going to cause. Guides and lodges are getting cancellations, no new bookings. My own business, sales are already off the norm. We won't be hiring as many summer staff this year. Customers are talking about selling their boats, guides are worried about surviving and most everybody is seething mad. The local salmon derby that has raised a ton of money for salmon enhancement has of course been cancelled. It's held in June, too late to re-shcedule this year. Our business also donates merchandise for fundraisers to PSF, Oyster River Enhancement Society, Campbell River Salmon Foundation, Gillard Pass Fisheries association, just to name a few. I've contacted the Conservative candidate for our riding and have never heard back.

If you haven't already, write to the Fisheries Minister with this story. Copy askinner@bcchamber.org at the BC Chamber of Commerce.

Back