Unsanctioned SFBC Meetup Hornby

kaelc

I'm a member of a C-Brats forum and they do a couple of Marina Meetups every year. There has been some discussion of a few SFBC members meeting up at Hornby in August for a wobbly pop or two. I don't think converging on their marina would be a great idea, but maybe rafting up at Whaling Station Bay or Tribune Bay would be fun. I'm going to be there August 18th to 22nd. The 21st would be easiest for weekend warriors? I don't know if I will be bringing my boat but our friends on Hornby we will be staying with have a 20 footer I'll be fishing off for sure. The 21st would be easiest for weekend warriors?

Hopefully Springs will be open, we could do a $20 per rod derby? Fish the morning, 12 noon weight in and raft up for lunch? PS I can't organize anything so I'm just floating this, someone will have to take the lead!

I'm a member of a C-Brats forum and they do a couple of Marina Meetups every year. There has been some discussion of a few SFBC members meeting up at Hornby in August for a wobbly pop or two. I don't think converging on their marina would be a great idea, but maybe rafting up at Whaling Station Bay or Tribune Bay would be fun. I'm going to be there August 18th to 22nd. The 21st would be easiest for weekend warriors? I don't know if I will be bringing my boat but our friends on Hornby we will be staying with have a 20 footer I'll be fishing off for sure. The 21st would be easiest for weekend warriors?

Hopefully Springs will be open, we could do a $20 per rod derby? Fish the morning, 12 noon weight in and raft up for lunch? PS I can't organize anything so I'm just floating this, someone will have to take the lead!
Would love to meet at tribune been a long time since I’ve been there, but highly unlikely the wife and I can get away from the interior :(

Ford Cove marina:
Protected from all wind directions
Zero boat space in summer, tied to float or in the bay.
Small store
Gas dock
Limited parking

Whaling Station Bay:
Protected from SE storms (rare in Aug.)
Open to prevailing NW winds (often very strong in afternoon)
Choked in summer with bathers, including babes in arms and seniors
Close to zero parking
One outhouse
No shore amenities
Way too small for more than a few boats
Often used as overnight shelter by working boats

Tribune Bay:
Open to SE storms (rare in Aug.)
Protected from NW winds
At least 20 times the size of Whaling Stn.
Adjacent to "downtown" Hornby amenities (store, gas, cafes, etc.)

Tribune is the only logical location for a crowd of boaters. It is "the" go-to spot.

Hope this helps. (42 years a homeowner on Hornby)

Back