Ugly Stick Tiger Rod

Breakin"even

Crew Member
My neigbour has a new ugly stick tiger rod for sale, and I'm looking for a lighter Ling rod.
It's 8' medium light 12-30lb. line1-4 ounce lure. Is that rod to light for jigging swim baits in Nanaimo.
I allready have a offshore Hali rod but seems too heavy for Ling around here.

I bought an ugly stick medium/ heavy from Canadian Tire for $74 that is strong enough to handle lings. A light/medium would be too light in my opinion.

i enjoy bringing up lings on a light rod...more fun in my opinion...only downside is that if you get snagged on bottom, you have to put on globes and wrap line around hand to break it free otherwise the rod would snap if you tried to use it to break the line off....dont ask me how I know this...

i enjoy bringing up lings on a light rod...more fun in my opinion...only downside is that if you get snagged on bottom, you have to put on globes and wrap line around hand to break it free otherwise the rod would snap if you tried to use it to break the line off....dont ask me how I know this...
I find it safer to wrap the line a few turns around a gaff handle or fish beater to break the line off

I also have the medium-heavy which I wanted because I can cast it a bit better. But I like it a lot.

I do find their naming systems to be confusing enough though that I often don't want to assume I'm talking about a rod in the same series. I think at one point they had a tiger, a tiger elite and a tiger lite?

Anyway I'm pretty sure mine is the tiger MH. I do really like it. But I agree that fighting a decent ling on the lighter rod would be a lot of fun.

I would love to fight a ling instead of the bottom of the ocean.
I always end up fighting the bottom of the ocean :/

I do have a 6’3” tiger lite jigging rod and it has some nice flex and backbone. That 8’er you’re looking at will be fun. Go for it if you haven’t yet!

I do have a 6’3” tiger lite jigging rod and it has some nice flex and backbone. That 8’er you’re looking at will be fun. Go for it if you haven’t yet!
I bought it and gave it a try on friday, I loved the flex and the backbone felt good. I didn't catch anything
with it yet, other than Canada once, it seems heavy enough for the job though. Looking forward to catching
a nice Ling with it. the rod I've been using for ever is a Daiwa "the Halibut" kgx473h, so the new rod will be
fun. 50 bucks well spent I think.

Last edited:
Back