Ucluelet

The wife and I will be coming up from Seattle the first week of August to go fishing and exploring around Ucluelet, Barkley Sound and Tofino. I'm fairly new to salmon fishing down in Puget Sound and the San Juans. We have a very sea worthy C-Dory 22' cruiser. I've only been out in the open ocean in a friends boat (another C-Dory 22) once exactly a year ago out at Neah Bay. We did go out three years ago on a Canadian Princess charter out of Ucluelet but I wasn't skippering the boat and didn't pay a whole lot attention to the weather/water conditions. I remember it being pretty nice and don't remember really big swells.

My questions. What are the ocean conditions like during that time? Would they be a bit challenging for a newbie like me. If the ocean conditions aren't right, is it easy enough to duck into Barkley Sound from Ucluelet? Or do you just have to wait it out. Is Barkley Sound a lot calmer than the ocean? Where would you suggest someone like me should start fishing, open ocean, Barkely Sound, or not at all. I do have maps, books and GPS of the area. Finally, how is the fishing that time of year?

We have been in some knarly conditions on the boat and the boat and crew can handle it. Being on vacation, I'm not sure I really want to be challenged on a daily basis. Thanks for your replies in advance, this is a great site. :)

Summer off ukee is mostly flatish but can get snotty.Inside barclay is flat and for your boat not a problem.Just pay attention to the fishing regulations that the Canadian department of fish have in place for area 23(Barclay sound)Area 123 outside..Just use common sense.Good luck.

Fishing that time of year should be fantastic. I fish out of 16.5 ft. boat and have not had any problems fishing up to 7 miles off shore. Be prepared and always monitor the weather chanel. Your best indicators are your eyes and your gut.
Steve41[8D]

Always keep in mind the wind picks up in the afternoon. Just pay attention and listen to the radio for weather. Also, if you are in a pack and see other boats leaving this should arouse your interest. I've seen 15 foot metal open boats 14 miles out. Now those guys are either real good or real stupid. You should not have a problem in you boat. I have fished in a 20 foot trophy out of Ucluelet for the past 14 years with no problem. Good luck and happy fishing.

Thanks for the good info guys. We can't wait to get out there and catch some feesh!! [8D]

Back