Tyee or trophy reel

Thunder fisher

Just bought this reel and lost a nice fish and noticed the line seems to be sticking out the side of the reel thru the holes and jamming which caused the line to break. Any one else have this problem?

Have you been reeling in the line while fishing without proper tension.. it can cause loops on the spool and those can cause an issue like that sometimes. I have a trophy QR and never had a problem with that ever!

Try putting some dacron backing on the reel before loading the spool with mono.
the backing will cushion the mono and help prevent bulging through the spool.

Try putting some dacron backing on the reel before loading the spool with mono.
the backing will cushion the mono and help prevent bulging through the spool.

I have dacron backing and the line had some pressure on when installed. The line is a 25 lb . test mono and as I peeled it off I noticed both sides where the line met the side of the real, the line slipped down the side and I am thinking that the pressure from catchinig a fish or the pressure of the downrigger is pulling the line down the side and burying it. I used cheap shimano reels before and never had this problem.

Thunder Fisher......what do you mean by "sticking out the side"?? Can you take a pic?

Thats a weird problem I have ran these from years and dont even have Dacron on mine...I agree with pippen take a pic...But if you just got it company is pretty good about it you will probably get it replaced...

had mine 3 years and no reel or real issues either. I did put islander springs in to give a bit more play on the drag and the cork had not been oiled when bought new . I like them as much as my 2 islanders. I will say I find it odd that another new poster has popped up with only bad things to say about these great reels.

IMG_6207.jpgIMG_6208.jpg
Here is a couple of pictures, I have taken off about 200 ft. of line before I took these. I thought I had plenty of tension on the line when I installed it.

Could you have not got a tight arbour knot and its allowing the line to spin on the reel? It looks like the line is on loosely either from spooling or when you had your fish on. Think I would peel it off and check the arbour knot.

I'd just pull it all off and start again with some Dacron backing and some good quality 30 lb test line at a shop that can spool it on with the proper tension. Weird problem, never seen this before. Seems like somehow the line is/has become defective.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like you initially spooled your line with very little tension. This caused the mono to squeeze into the loose line on the spool causing the problem you're seeing.

I agree with the above statements: You need to strip the line off and put in back on with some tension. I'm not saying pack it onto the spool, but you should have nice even tension applied to the line when you're spooling up your reel or this will keep happening to you. I'm pretty sure this'll solve your problem.

Thanks everyone for the info. Sounds like everyone is happy with the reel so it must be how I put on the line. Bought a better quality line and will put more tension on it as I put it on. Hopefully getting up thru the narrows this week and see how it works..
thanks again.

Yea i have seen that on ours. Only the one with maxima ultra green did that. Switched to braid and haven't seen it happen again.

Back