twin 300 hpdi's

I know people who run them with minimal probs. Ideally I would opt for 4- strokes, but the price difference between the two is damn near $10g (for two).

I can see them lasting longer because they would never be overloaded, and I would only have to run them at 1/4 throttle.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Just from what I read, a lot of Z300's going BOOM, a lot more then normal. Maybe too much power for the block? Zuke 300's are around 18K each, I didn't think a Z300 was less?

The prices for outboards blows my mind everytime , 18k for a single outboard???..... thats a small car and change.

36,000 dollars for two?
jeeeze

quote:Originally posted by captct

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Just from what I read, a lot of Z300's going BOOM, a lot more then normal. Maybe too much power for the block? Zuke 300's are around 18K each, I didn't think a Z300 was less?

The prices for outboards blows my mind everytime , 18k for a single outboard???..... thats a small car and change.

36,000 dollars for two?
jeeeze

The sound of 12 Cylinders burning 45GPH behind you at full bore.............. $Priceless

Priceless is right....I listen to my 16 cylinders gobble up any where from 3-4 GPH per side to 14-16GPH per side.

LOL. For a 26 foot boat, when you look at cost vs. benefit, I think a single 300HP four stroke will do you just fine. You could spend $35-40K for a pair of 300's under the guise of running them at half throttle to save fuel and wear, but the truth is, it's rarely the powerhead itself that wears out in a 4 stroke outboard, it's the whole package that goes to ruin. Gearcases, power trim, corrosion, etc. Buy a 300, run the snot out of it for 4 or 5 years, sell it in the off season to someone who thinks they are getting a deal, and buy new again. Works like a charm for lots of guys including myself, because people still get sprung on 4 stroke outboards. I know a guy who just dumped a couple of Zukes with some insane hours on them for an insane price (As in really high). Didn't take very long, the guy buying KNEW the hours, saw them coming off a guide boat, shook hands and drove away.

Really, every four or five years to trade up your four stroke engine is a small price to pay rather then a large cash outlay at the start to try and protect something that the passage of time alone will wear just as much as use.. A lot of guys are not even IN the guiding game for that long, you have to think long term, and what you are going to get out of it should you have to bail.

You will never, ever ever ever recoup the added cost of another V-6 outboard in terms of reduced wear, maintainance, or whatever by adding power that you do not need.

For redundancy, consider the price of a Sea Tow membership vs the cost of another motor, where you fish, and the chances of you not getting towed in. I can count, on one hand, the number of pro guide boats who got towed in by another boat (Usually another guide), in the last 5 years. I'm not sure on prices, but I'm willing to bet you can get a lot of tows, fuel, and repairs for less then the 20K for another outboard.

For a boat that does not really need 600HP, unless you are doing it strickly for sh*ts and giggles, I don't see it paying any way.

I got twin 140's because it was cheaper then a single 250 that would need to push my boat, and when it comes time to sell, it's lots easier to sell a mid-range outboard then a big honking one, a 140 is good for anywhere from a 16ft-21 ft boat, which by studying the used activity in the market (I read all of 'em), is the most popular.

Just my $0.02

last chance, really good info. Theres two 300's (hpdi) on ebay right now that I can get for $20g, rigging included. Ive done alot of research the last couple of days and have decided not to go that route. I am, however, looking for twin 250 4 stks.I know a single 300 would be underpowered for my unit. A 350 may be ok, but its set up for twins, and I really like the added reliability twins offers. My boats really heavy so I think 250's are more than plenty without going overboard. I have all winter, no hurry.

HEY DAVE,
WORKING AT NOOTKAWILDERNESS NEXT SUMMER?
LOVE THE BOAT!
GOTTA LOVE THE LODGE, EXCEPT FOR THAT B OF A CHEF
AND SOME GUIDES, LIKE SAY .....PAT
CHEERS BUD

How about the guy out Sooke way with the 26-27 alumi with 3x300 zukes on the back.. 900 hp and saw him coming out of Sooke harbour doing about 60 mph.

Hey nootka 1, make no mistake, the people you mention are both among the hardest working people Ive met. Both really solid, good people. Im more of an ******* than they are both put togather!

Back