Tuna stuff from September

Im getting about 1.8 nm/g ~ a day fishing swiftsure from renfrew i burn about 150litres, thats with twin 200's pushing a low 8000lb boat. My boat holds 195gallons.

So figuring a roundtrip of 120nm/(1.5nm/g as a safety factor) = 80gal burned = less than half my fuel

img3937n.jpg

Im getting about 1.8 nm/g ~ a day fishing swiftsure from renfrew i burn about 150litres, thats with twin 200's pushing a low 8000lb boat. My boat holds 195gallons.

So figuring a roundtrip of 120nm/(1.5nm/g as a safety factor) = 80gal burned = less than half my fuel

img3937n.jpg

IFL-That's my worry-my boat will handle almost anything that's out there if we have chosen the day within reason but that is a long way home at 6-8mph if the single goes out(trolling or not). I usually put on 120 miles in a 3 day trip-I only log the main motor miles and hours (225 yammi 4st) I don't count all the hours the 9.9 gets trolling which is around 16 or more for 3 days min. and that will run me 260 to 280L on a 520 l tank so definetly doable. I am very keen to try it as I have fished tuna in Mexico and they are a lot of fun-nothing like a strike when you are already doing 7 knots. Would also love to go as deckhand if anybody has a spot.

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

IFL-That's my worry-my boat will handle almost anything that's out there if we have chosen the day within reason but that is a long way home at 6-8mph if the single goes out(trolling or not). I usually put on 120 miles in a 3 day trip-I only log the main motor miles and hours (225 yammi 4st) I don't count all the hours the 9.9 gets trolling which is around 16 or more for 3 days min. and that will run me 260 to 280L on a 520 l tank so definetly doable. I am very keen to try it as I have fished tuna in Mexico and they are a lot of fun-nothing like a strike when you are already doing 7 knots. Would also love to go as deckhand if anybody has a spot.

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Count me in then braden. That would be a gongshow trip haha. Your the only guy i know that picks up girls in a club with pictures of his grady! To boss.

Count me in then braden. That would be a gongshow trip haha. Your the only guy i know that picks up girls in a club with pictures of his grady! To boss.

Hey Jeff. Good post. Sounds like you are stirring up some intrest. I'll have to see if I can find some pics. I no I don't have many as I was the guy running the boat, the gear and dealing with fish.
My two trips last year were 175 & 160 miles total, right from my dock in Bamfield. Running the 200 Suzy on the 24 Monaro the 160 mile trip burned up 235 litres. I pack 300 so not a lot to spare in the tanks but I had 70 more in gerry cans for back up if needed.
You can bet I will be ready for a few more trips next year.
Tight Lines

Hey guys, I've been admiring the tuna pictures and stories throughout this thread and others. I'm seeking some advice on a similar type of fishing using similar gear to what i've seen within the pictures on this thread. Any help would be much appreciated because im a complete rookie with this type of fishing. I will be on a sailboat travelling from cabo to puerto vallarta and im planning on using one or more hand-lines, rather than rods. I would prefer to use a rod, but because im a guest on the boat, its not set up for fishing and that I've been repeatedly told "this is not a fishing trip" I figure the hand-line option is what I will go with.
So far I only have one hand-line, a few clones (tuna hoochies), and an assortment of plugs, rapalas and spoons.
I've read that some fishing boats have 8 or more lines in the water not including teasers! The more commotion the greater the chance of attracting fish.... I figure if im only dragging 1 line then I will need as much help as I can attracting fish. Is it a no brainer I should buy/make another hand-line? In some of the pictures there is an orange thing attached above to clone leader, is that thing a teaser? Is there no problem with attaching the teaser to the same line as the lure with the hook (similar to a flasher and a hoochie for salmon)?
Another concern is that because im on a sailboat, our speed may be a little slow at times for the clone (tuna hoochie). Think a large plug or rapala will be good to garuntee the lure has plenty of action when speeds might not be ideal?? anyone ever used plugs for these types of fish?
I realize that there is a big difference between fishing off vancouver island and mexico, but the gear seems to be pretty similar. Any help would be great!

I've done a lot of fishing off Mexico's west coast most of what you'll catch is small Dorado and Bonitos maybe YFT.

You've got the right idea about gear and speed-a brightly coloured Rapala plug (like any of the CD Mag series or even better yet X-Raps) is great but a bit of a PITA unhook if you're using trebles-I'm thinking of the sometime crowded cockpit of a sailboat.

Another handline would be great but again there might not be room-how do you propose to anchor these lines?

Does the Captain mind if you use the stanchions or will you have to hold the thing in your hand the whole time?

Bring gloves in any case.

When I used to sell handline setups for the same market I urged people to buy a heavy black solid bungee cord to tie one end of the handline so they could walk away from the rig after setting it up somewhere to their satisfaction since boats are all different.

Are you taking a hand gaff or do you just plan to haul fish over the gunnel?It's the easy way but you have to be prepared for a lot of blood and p!ssed off people as blood splatters all over the place-a bucket and rag help in that regard.

Tuna and Dorado are easy to clean but do it right away youtube can help-once you fry that Dorado fillet all will be forgiven.

If it's a dark meat Bonito don't bother unless you know how to prepare it but the white ones make great Ceviche as do Sierra Mackerela.

If you have any more questions shoot me a PM I'm happy to help

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Dogbreath! I'm making my second handline as I write this post and yes they both have rubber snubbers. I also tied overhand knots every 20 inches in the line to help in both hauling in a fish and because apparently they will leave a bubble trail.

I will look for a heavy duty rapala once im down in Cabo maybe, the only ones I can find in Victoria are really small. As for where I will attach the lines to the boat... im crossing my fingers there are enough cleats and/or stanchions on the stern.

I've been worried about making a mess hauling a live fish over the gunnel but I guess I will deal with that problem when it happens. I guess I could always buy or make a gaff when im down there... I've read about pouring alcohol in their gills, which apparently kills them instantly from suffocation or something.... Have you ever heard or tried this? it sounds a bit funny.

Anyways, thanks for your advice... Also, how to you send a private message?

I guess I could always buy or make a gaff when im down there... I've read about pouring alcohol in their gills, which apparently kills them instantly from suffocation or something....
Don't count on buying anything in Mexico-it'll cost a lot more than what you can buy it for @ Trotac for instance.

The bubble trail idea is fine as long as there are no small toothy fish around.........

Throwing a damp cloth over a struggling Dorado's head is one way to calm them down-the alcohol works but is clumsier than it sounds.

Tuna can be easily dispatched with a hard shot to the head like any fish-and their bony tail makes them dead easy to pick up remember you won't be catching any monsters-Dorado need several hard shots to the head-which is kind of a shame since the head has a lot of good meat.

Don't count on buying anything in Mexico-it'll cost a lot more than what you can buy it for @ Trotac for instance.

The bubble trail idea is fine as long as there are no small toothy fish around.........

Throwing a damp cloth over a struggling Dorado's head is one way to calm them down-the alcohol works but is clumsier than it sounds.

Tuna can be easily dispatched with a hard shot to the head like any fish-and their bony tail makes them dead easy to pick up remember you won't be catching any monsters-Dorado need several hard shots to the head-which is kind of a shame since the head has a lot of good meat.

I'm not sure I would use the knots to make a bubble trail since guys are using 150 foot wind on leaders to avoid the spooky bubble trail from a swivel and you increase the chance of a toothy fish hitting that bubble trail. Of course small fish are generally less finiky.

4-6 hoochies rigged in-line 1 foot apart with a split shot to hold each in place and some beads / hook in the last one is deadly on small tuna for sure. Don't be afraid to fish it really close to the wake too like bucktailing for coho. You can fish small plugs too if that's all you can find. Tuna often feed on very small bait.

I would bring some kind of quick clip stringer with 10 feet of line for dealing with the fish like maybe a large clip taped to a 6" piece of wire (for easy threading) on some 100 pound mono. Pull fish up, get the stringer through the gills, clip back on the line, pull out a gill raker with pliers / gloves and drop the fish back overboard so it can swim / bleed out for 2 minutes. Bring in before the sharks get it. :) You really should bleed tuna and dorado is a lot better when bled too.

Dorado head meat is the best, well maybe 2nd to seared tuna loins.

Back