Tuna Fishers watch your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ifish (mostly Oregon) describes an explosion in the rec tuna fishery over the last 15 due to the sheer fun compared to salmon. It's only logical the same could happen here. They fish alongside commercials with few problems. Limits are based on boat/ice capacity not a gov't number.

"I'm just concerned that there maybe a better method than those used in the past."

Any suggestions?

If numbers are the issue then I would like to see the numbers submitted to a SFAB body before DFO so there is no question .. But unless something has changed since last night, this is not about numbers. It's about the commercial fleets generous concern for our well being and our lack of knowledge regarding the handling of our catch. If the numbers are becoming a concern I feel there should be a moratorium on any expansion of the commercial fleet until there are answers.

With all due respect runamuk, you are talking at cross purposes.
The immediate issue may be commercial tuna fishermen stirring something up over a collateral issue.
Right now it is not DFO driven. That does not mean that DFO will never get involved.
Once that occurs, you best have some data or you will suffer.
Bottom line is that the numbers are the issue. The rec tuna participants would be well advised to work with DFO Jordan to come up with a better logging system.
Once you have the data, send it to whoever you want.

I think 20 is a bit much; how many grouse or deer can you kill how many clams can you dig; I know its fun just as wolves like to hunt at nite; not even allowed to cut a Christmas tree' you people need to get real

are you kidding me wstcoaster,,, i can afford only one or two tuna trips year, time the weather(if it happens), get everything ready , tonnes of money spent locally .... and i cant have a chance at catching 20? not enough for me and family to eat!!.... plus i am a canadian... those are my fish, not a commies.

I think 20 is a bit much; how many grouse or deer can you kill how many clams can you dig; I know its fun just as wolves like to hunt at nite; not even allowed to cut a Christmas tree' you people need to get real

This is exactly the kind of pot stirring that the commercial sector uses to get us fighting amongst ourselves :(.

Gotta agree we don't want to fall victim to the pot stirring agenda. We will be best served to step back and gather facts to address the issues professionally. The commercial sector also needs an education as to the needs of the sport fishery. As was just posted, the sheer cost of entry to the fishery in fuel, ice and supplies means the opportunity to maximize each trip is necessary for the fishery to exist. A limit of 4 as suggested shows a complete lack of understanding the conditions necessary for a viable. Recreational tuna fishery to exist. There are no conservation issues, that is a fact. Ergo, no pressing need to address limits other than perhaps to confirm them as opposed to having a default regulation which can be challenged. The other issues of safety and quality to control possible disease are easily addressed through education and catch handling guidelines.

We NEED data to better understand every fishery. Even if our total catch number appears trivial we need to better understand the Tuna population dynamics to better protect the species...every piece of information counts. The desire to to hide data from scientists is downright ignorant, and I don't mean that in an insulting way, I mean to say that we have already seen fisheries collapse across the globe because we don't properly understand them.

Is that what you want?

Population modeling for fish species is incredibly difficult, you can't just go count them like a population of deer or mountain goats for example. We need to use Catch Per Unit Effort (CPUE - aka. the amount of time/effort that fisherman put into catching the fish and the amount of fish that are caught), the sport fishery is part of that effort. If you think about this way, the CPUE was MUCH higher back in the early 1900s - little effort with a lot of fish, while now we have a lot more effort, much better technique, and likely similar numbers of fish being caught = lower CPUE. This is a primary means of estimating a fish population...unless you want to swim after those tuna and count them (that does sound pretty fun!! hahaha)

However, it's not just about numbers the average size of fish is very important for the health of the population. Bigger females have more eggs, more eggs means more offspring, more offspring means more fish to catch. So keeping record of the size of the fish is very good indicator of population health in many fish species as well.

Data is the key. Trying to hide that won't help anyone in the long run... Let's learn from the mistakes we have made in the past.

Tight lines

Back