Tuna Fishers watch your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone is pretending we are not fishing. I highly doubt the 20 per day is going to stand if changes are made. I am only going by past history in these situations. I do not have a clear view into the future. The requests by the commercial sector I was privy to only as of this morning, is they are wanting us to have a 4 per person, per day limit, with a 2 day possession.

I'm pretty sure that would put a damper on shootouts etc. if every 2 days you have to take your 8 fish home .

I'm not trying to argue right or wrong here. I'm just a little frustrated with how all of the due processes played out in the past. I wasn't too long ago we filled out logs for Halibut.

Again that's what the commercial sector wants, it's not what is actually happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are you saying Kelly?

We should sit down shut up and trust this time for once it will work out for us..?

No? I spent the day trying to ensure there isnt a limit change. What did you do? Go voice an opinion to whoever you thinks involved in the process.

I have spent the day doing pretty much the same . There is nothing in stone so there is nothing that can be done yet but try and sway the powers that be in our favor. I honestly believe the commercial sector is going to shoot themselves in the foot as well. This seems to be a knee jerk reaction from them, but will have a negative impact on the sport sector non the less.

I must have been living under a rock all winter but when did albacore Tuna quota become a thing? I didn't think there was a TAC or quota for North Pacific Albies. Feel free to point me in the direction of an article to the contrary so I can get learned up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guys.. at this time there is no quota or even talk of quota on tuna......Not even on the table......I would say down the road perhaps...we will deal with that when the time come...what all you guys can do is get involved with the collecting of tuna data regarding catch log ... we need the numbers of how big this sport is ..days fish and number of fish caught....Remember what happen with halibut because of lack of information......

The agenda for the SFAC 23 meeting seems to have a limit for Tuna ... Are we still believing ??

I can speak to that. I added tuna limits to the agenda because the commercial sector had advanced this as a discussion issue and the SFAB needed some input from recreational anglers. There is no conspiracy going on other than simply ensuring recreational anglers have opportunity for input. See you at tomorrow's Area 23 SFAC meeting.

I think you guys are getting sucked in here. As Kelly said, the commercial guys are advancing this agenda NOT DFO. Let's not push the panic button until there is a reason to do so. Jordan the Tuna Mgr at DFO has been nothing but helpful throughout, so no wild conspiracy going on there either, other than what "some" of the commercial guys are stirring up. Better to slow down and get the facts, determine what is in the best long term interest of the rec sector and the fishery, then act.

If we run about like chicken little, then the commercial guys have just succeeded once again in splitting the recreational community. Its a winning strategy for them, and one we all should be a little savvy to after the halibut debacle.

I'm not saying there is no cause for concern, just advocating we slow down and get some facts first, then act. Good idea to come out to your local SFAC meeting and let your ideas be known.

This argument against logbooks is deja vu all over again!!

It is in every sectors best interest to be able to provide accurate catch data.
If you cannot provide such data, or you have a vocal portion of the sector saying that they will not provided accurate catch data in their logs, bad things will happen to that sector.
This is why many commercial gear types have onboard observers, cameras, off load observers etc.

You may want to assume the worst of DFO in providing accurate catch data, but DFO will take the worst case scenario if they cannot rely on catch data.

Pretty sure your going to have a tough time convincing those of us that volunteered to record logs for halibut, that it worked in our favor. The situation with the Tuna is not being driven by the DFO according to what was explained in the meeting last night, but by some sort of knee jerk reaction from the commercial sector. Tuna has been run on a pretty much wide open basis , and to this date no reports of any issues. Even the reasons given for the request of us being cut back was not of numbers, but the commercial fleets concern for our well being. They seem to feel we are not capable of looking after our catch and we can be diseased... That is what was reported last night.. It was stated very clearly this is not a conservation issue.

I see no reason to start any kind of numbers game here as there is no TAC at this point. When has the numbers worked for us in the past? Numbers and log reports can be interpreted either way, its always the big money winning out in the end.

We had no numbers or collected numbers on halibut back 20 plus years ago & that is why it kick us in the butt.... sport fish halibut 20 years ago is what like tuna is today ..a new and developing sport ...We have to collect the number's now and the longer the better... no numbers will put us back to where we are on halibut.... would have been happy to talk to about that last night

There are still many more sport hooks in the water hunting Halibut than Tuna. I personally feel the less than maybe seventy five sport boats at most chasing Tuna will not give any kind of realistic picture at this point.

I never heard any discussion on recording catch last night all I heard was a plan to better represent sport Tuna fishing, which I agree is a good thing. I have been enjoying this fishery for the past 5-6 years now and have invested gobs of cash like all the rest, and would hate to see us misrepresented. Maybe there should be a buffer of sorts for the numbers before they are presented to DFO then maybe the mistrust level will be lower. I for one have a real problem seeing how the halibut fishery is being managed in any way favorable for conservation or sport. So I have to believe the same approach will be taken with Tuna unless the strategy is changed.

Unless we the SFAB don't get the number its only a guess on how many fish and boats eh.... If you cannot trust your fellow SFAB guys who then?? They guys who are working on the tuna have gobs of money tied up in it to... No data equal only a guessing game...and your guess of 70 boat is off bye 100 or more....

I don't recall saying SFAB guys were untrustworthy. I guess I stand corrected on the boat numbers.. I really didn't realize area 23 had that many boats targeting tuna The most I have ever seen is around 40. My point was that there were more Halibut fisherman to gauge the data with over Tuna fisherman. Even with all the data in Halibut we were told last night that the mortality numbers were " fudged"?? Am I misunderstanding that? ( not challenging .. please don't take that wrong)
The last time I was handed a log sheet at the Tuna Shootout wrap up party I was sure I was told to submit it to DFO, or it was going to be forwarded directly there. If I had been under the understanding that the numbers were going to be dealt with by the SFAB before they went to DFO then I wouldn't have been so quick to say no thanks.

Once again I am not challenging here when I ask.. do you even think 200 boats over the past 5 years is in any way going to be accurate data? Each season has been different.

I know you guys are not trying to negatively effect the sport Tuna fishery I'm just concerned that there maybe a better method than those used in the past.

Honestly, the best way forward is to establish a clear record of our recreational catch. The current situation is there isn't good quality data to assess the needs of the recreational tuna fishery - we can ill afford to just leave it to someone's opinion (aka educated guess). While there may be those out there who wish the recreational tuna fishery ill will, our best defence is a strong offence....data.

..............our best defence is a strong offence....data.

Amen! Yup. Data is something we lack and need. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out without data you have no leg to stand on. Data is power. Some of us complain that DFO doesn't gather data effectively but when DFO ask us to assist them by providing data some of us insist on not providing it and keeping it from them. The dreaded "precautionary principal" is used when there is no data. And if quotas ever come into effect, why would we be provided a good quota if data is not available ? ( If we don't fish em why be handed quota ? )

Below is a copy/paste of just 2 of several items edited from a recent Sport Fishing Institute mail out - not specific to Tuna but Sport fishing in general :

Catch monitoring this season and in the future

You might of heard it before but we'll say it again... we see yet more evidence of the importance of providing fisheries managers with quality catch data. Over a number of years and by the review of a number of test programs, DFO has determined that guide logbooks are a valuable component of recreational fisheries data and are working to increase their use particularly in areas where creel survey data is limited.

• We believe that the better we can document our catch, the less vulnerable we are to groups that would seek to criticize the conservation efforts and harvest of recreational anglers. Your participation is critical and your efforts provide much needed information about recreational catch. Moreover, your participation in this and other catch data collection programs will ensure that regulation changes will be based on good information rather than opportunities limited by the precautionary principle.

Honestly, the best way forward is to establish a clear record of our recreational catch. The current situation is there isn't good quality data to assess the needs of the recreational tuna fishery - we can ill afford to just leave it to someone's opinion (aka educated guess). While there may be those out there who wish the recreational tuna fishery ill will, our best defence is a strong offence....data.

I agree with the start, middle and end of this post. There just is no other way. There is no need to panic. It is only logical to support our interest in the fishery by participating in its management. If we do not participate in its management then it will be managed without us. Its that simple. DFO has the ability to collect a lot of information with out us anyways with airplanes and dock observers so to resist by hiding under a rock is beyond pointless. We need to help DFO support us by participating in this process.

I think we should develop a log that is going to work for us. I found the log that jordan supplied to be.....ummm....... how do you say........meh. Theres got to be a better log.

Back