Tuna Craving

Rockfish

Looking for one or two west coast Tuna depending on size. I don’t fish them myself but love Tuna Sushi. Many years ago there was a commercial boat in the Victoria inner harbor that sold them whole, flash frozen, right off the boat with the guts in. Apparently they deteriorate less if frozen whole with the guts in and the skin unbroken. A few years back there was a sign on the road to Sooke that directed you to a Commercial Boat out west (Sooke I think) that was selling tuna directly but have not seen it recently. Does anyone know of a commercial Boat selling Tuna directly, preferably in the south V.I. area?

Alternatively - If anyone has lots of sport caught Tuna and perhaps more than they can use, I would be very happy to accept a gift of one which would be greatly appreciated as I know that sport caught fish cannot be sold or bartered. For sushi grade they would need to be fairly recently caught from this season. If not whole and frozen, a few frozen loins that I can cut up with a freezer knife and vacuum pack would work if anyone is feeling exceptionally generous.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that did not take long. A Victoria Angler I know dropped me off a whole frozen Tuna. He called it a peanut and that is apparently slang for a small Tuna.

I can remember my parents buying commercially caught tuna at the Stevenson docks a few yrs ago. Any one know if you can still buy a tuna down there off the boats?

At Kitsilano farmers market there's a nice older gentleman from Estevan who sells loins cheap cheap. I've bought from him for a few years, a few weeks ago I picked up 3 for $48

Something to check out is skipper Otto. It's a community supported fishery. Somewhat like a coop lining up small scale fisherman directly to consumers. They offer all species that are in season. IMHO this style should have a much larger presence in commercial fishing in Canada rather than the large-corporation-for-export model that currently reigns, but that's for another thread! I've had some great discussions with the operators and they are great people.

I haven't checked it out for a few years but there was at least one boat that sells whole flash frozen tuna at Fraser Surrey docks, reasonably priced.

I've seen Albacore tuna at steveston docks many times in late summer , I'm heading there this week to see if there are boats selling ..grabbing a few if they are and will let you guys know .

On Tuesday there were several boats selling Tuna at Steveston. Think the price was $4 a pound in the round.

Are there any commercial boats selling out of alberni?Would like to find it closer to ladysmith but not likely.

On Tuesday there were several boats selling Tuna at Steveston. Think the price was $4 a pound in the round.

It has been a long time (decades) since I bought Tuna off a Commercial boat in Victoria. It was around a dollar a pound in the round and flash frozen back then. Does not seem to be any boats selling direct on South VI currently.

There's a lot of boats selling albacore out of Westport. Typically $2-2.50/lb in the round. $5 to loin it out.

There's a lot of boats selling albacore out of Westport. Typically $2-2.50/lb in the round. $5 to loin it out.
Good deal, if you go down there and get skunked, you can buy some tuna off the boats! Lol. The wife will never know...

Back