Tuff trailers

Hog Tide

Moved this post to the right forum.
Does anybody have a tuff trailer on a campion 542? I’m getting one from bill howich RV.
Sales say they sell the 3000ts with the 542. There are other models they have for sale. just doing some last minut research as I did not know about a 3000 tl, or the 4000ts.
Nice trailers and great service at BH. Just would have liked a bit more product knowledge from sales staff. My online research isn’t boding well Lol.
Weight of boat and gear doesn’t line up with 3000.
16 foot trailer on a 18 1/2 foot boat. Hope I don’t have to get truck wet to float boat.
Uggg. Buyers remorse. Lol.
input appreciated plz!

I have the 4000# single axle tuff trailer for my 19 Arima. Just enough capacity, pretty much maxed out. Ok trailer, on the cheap side. I had to do a lot of modifications/additions to the bunks and general setup to make it work for me. But I am anal. Disc brakes are cheap and don't last long. Can't move the axle - that annoys me most. Next time I will spend a bit more and get better quality.

You probably want to get at least the 4000 lb carrying capacity for your boat. The 3000 lb capacity would be too small IMO. A person never wants to have the boat absolutely maxed out for GVW on the trailer. By the time you load up a bunch of gear and head out on the hwy with its bumps and potholes etc, having the extra GVW to bounce around with is a real good bonus. I bought the 7000T Tuff trailer from Howich earlier this Spring and am extremely impressed with it as well as the service from them too. Nothing cheap about any part of the TUFF trailers, especially the I-Beam ones. They are good!!

I have the 4000# single axle tuff trailer for my 19 Arima. Just enough capacity, pretty much maxed out. Ok trailer, on the cheap side. I had to do a lot of modifications/additions to the bunks and general setup to make it work for me. But I am anal. Disc brakes are cheap and don't last long. Can't move the axle - that annoys me most. Next time I will spend a bit more and get better quality.

Yeah second that other friend has a Tuff trailer as well and has problems with it. Same thing with brakes. You should see the mods Chris73 had to do for his arima. It is brutal.

I'm curious to know what brand of trailers are not a piece of crap. Certainly, my ez loader does not get 5 stars. I've had to change just about everything on that damn trailer and it is only 10 years old. Some things have been replaced multiple times. In general the salt just eats everything in the end and unless you buy a trailer made entirely of stainless steel, I don't see how any of them are a perfect trailer. Particularly brakes....

Just to finish the thread. I now have the tuff trailer 3000ts (102) wide. It’s a awesome set up for my 542. Trailer fits like a glove. iPhoned tuff trailer and got a lot of info that the dealer could not answer. It’s a foot longer, 6 inches lower,4 inches wider and heavier than the ez loader. My ez loader was rated to 2800lb and the tuff is at 3000. Should be able to handle my boat no prob. most of my launching is local.
there are a couple of 542s in the area with the same trailer. ‍♂️

I'm curious to know what brand of trailers are not a piece of crap. Certainly, my ez loader does not get 5 stars. I've had to change just about everything on that damn trailer and it is only 10 years old. Some things have been replaced multiple times. In general the salt just eats everything in the end and unless you buy a trailer made entirely of stainless steel, I don't see how any of them are a perfect trailer. Particularly brakes....
I'm late on a reply.....summer stuff lol...... my EZLoader is a 1995 ...2800lb.capacity....I've only had to change my rear lights x2
now have LEDs.......I do wash it down after launching in the salt.....REALLY WELL .

Also late replying. I have a 2010 542. It rides on a 4000lb tandem easyloader with brakes. No problem with weight even when boat is fully loaded Only problem I have is backing into driveway as I have a very narrow window. Not much use this year but look out next as there have been issues this year. Tandems don't move around as singles do

The main issue I keep having with mine is the axle brackets that are u bolted to the frame keep cracking at the u bolts. They are poorly designed in my opinion. Again this week I need to remove two of them to get re-welded. It's a pain in the rear. Can't wait to get rid of this POS when I can afford another one, going to get a tuff trailer looks like a much higher quality brand.

You might want to speak to a shop that actually fabricates trailers.....and see what they think......is your trailer ''overloaded''??

Reactions: abl
The main issue I keep having with mine is the axle brackets that are u bolted to the frame keep cracking at the u bolts. They are poorly designed in my opinion. Again this week I need to remove two of them to get re-welded. It's a pain in the rear. Can't wait to get rid of this POS when I can afford another one, going to get a tuff trailer looks like a much higher quality brand.
are you getting the u-bolts welded?

To the frame? Not sure that would help but I inspected it tonight and I'm going to see if I can reinforce those brackets by welding a piece of plate to the inside of them. Hopefully by beefing them up it will stop the cracking. It always happens at the same place on both sides and even the welded piece from a couple years ago is cracking again. It's a flimsy design.

It does have backer plates already though. I think welding some more meat to the brackets themselves is the only option. What are people's thoughts on torsion vs leaf spring? I have torsion and it seems like heavier duty setups use leaf springs.

How long have tough trailers been around? Anyone have one past 10 years? I hear all you guys going on about them but any trailer is going to be fine first 10 years with maintenance.

A lot of easy loader and road runner out there beyond there. Just asking...

I had an aluminum trailer once I can tell that one did get brittle and crack. I am curious on durability.

How long have tough trailers been around? Anyone have one past 10 years? I hear all you guys going on about them but any trailer is going to be fine first 10 years with maintenance.

A lot of easy loader and road runner out there beyond there. Just asking...

I had an aluminum trailer once I can tell that one did get brittle and crack. I am curious on durability.

It says since 1995 on the website. I've had 2 EZ loaders and still have a RoadRunner for a smaller boat. Although I have only owned this Tuff trailer since last year it is hands down better built...rides better and better parts starting from factory than any of my previous trailers. Time will tell I guess but it seems good out of the box. It is a bit bigger trailer at 8500lbs capacity and cant really comment on smaller ones.

Last edited:
Back