Trying To Improve At Fishing. Please Help!

To improve at fishing one must change their brain.At times you may feel the left side saying theres nothing right,and the right side saying theres nothing left.

Remeber fishermen are liers, I can’t tell you how many times I’ll be talking to a guy at the launch in the morning and he will tell Me how hot fishing is and where he’s going to fish the day.

I’ll follow him out and the next thing I know he’s going a completely different direction or ends up where’re I’m fishing.

I keep this link on my home screen on my phone along with two weather apps, navionics and this forum. I know exactly where and what I'm doing before I wake up. https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Vancouver-British-Columbia/tides/latest

Good resources, you can also view the tides and weather on your Navionics app.

Screenshot_20180321-091209.png

Screenshot_20180321-092257.png

Forgot, if you find a high percentage location - work it as much as you can during the bite without cutting off other boats.

We practice the right hand rod to the rocks rule. Meaning if 2 boats approach from opposite directions, the guy who has his right or starboard side to the rock pile gets to stay on his tack and take the inside line/tack, and all others move out and pass on his port or left hand side. No conflicts that way and if everyone goes the same direction it helps sort it out fast. Nothing worse than some guy who always wants the inside tack on every pass, just because he thinks he can. Eventually, the others get pretty tired of that bs and push the greedy guy into the rocks. That doesn't mean that you can't make a mistake every now and then, but as general rule if we all practice the right hand rod to the rocks it would be a calmer fishery.

I wondered if there was some sort of norm that I should know about when fishing in a crowd. I will definitely adopt this as my SOP. Now we just need to get a few more folks to understand this.
As a newcomer to trolling in a group of boats, I have been using the standard international rules of the road.
It has made me unpopular on at least one occasion.
I assume this rule applies to structure, rather than shorelines?

Applies more to shorelines, although in a few areas where we all know the structure (shallow reef for example) everyone uses the rule. Just makes sense to keep everyone working as one unit and getting along. Main thing is to try to work together. Everyone makes a mistake now and again, or mis-judges how quickly the closing speed is so there can still be oops moments.

My goal for 2019 is to have dinner on the boat, get to bed by 8pm and get up and fire her up by 4am. Cook breakfast on the way out. While taking a crap... with the heat on. As many times as possible.

You need to revise that a bit....Dinner on the boat, couple glasses of wine with the wife. Pre-make the coffee so its ready to perc when you get up. Off to bed at 10pm. Up at 4am turn on the coffee. Adjust the cabin temperature that was turned down over the night. Fire up those diesels to let em warm up a few minutes. Pull the hook making sure the wife whacks the chain as needed. LOL you know what I mean soon enough. Pour a couple coffee's heavily fortified with Baileys. Once the lines are in the water, then its time for a second well fortified coffee. Is it time yet? Maybe maybe not..........Ok wife makes bacon and eggs breakfast. Make sure someone is watching the lines cause you never know. Then nature will be calling soon......crap time. Oh oh we have our two fish daily limit, back to drop the hook, clean fish and wash up the dishes. **** its only 9am.......what are we going to do for the rest of the day..........ANYTHING WE WANT!!!!! It's a GOOD life. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the 300 for 100 thread taking over all threads one at at time?!
Rain city is taking over

I’m now well into the referred book (@BarryA) I got in the mail last week... the first few pages were tough to get through about weather. I will go back and try that section again as I know it’s important. After that I’ve been soaking it up about the spawning, feeding habits and physical traits of salmon. I feel like I will learn a lot as I get deeper into it and I bet I will be more successful moving forward.

I’m now well into the referred book (@BarryA) I got in the mail last week... the first few pages were tough to get through about weather. I will go back and try that section again as I know it’s important. After that I’ve been soaking it up about the spawning, feeding habits and physical traits of salmon. I feel like I will learn a lot as I get deeper into it and I bet I will be more successful moving forward.

Here’s one of the best books I’ve read on chinook fishing. Great explanations on all sorts of terminal tackle and baits. If I could only read one book on fishing it would be this one:

http://www.thescienceofsalmonfishing.com/

Here’s a fishing tip. When you can’t go fishing, read about others who have. Helps to stem the shakes.

Make sure all your stuff is in good working order, trailer, motors, electronics, riggers etc. You don't want down time when the bite is on.
Buy the best sounder/chartplotter you can afford. Make sure you learn how to use it.
Get a good pair of binoculars to see what is going on around you.
Use a good radio for any free info that might be around.
A few good fishing buddies that can catch fish and will give you timely and reliable reports can be very helpful.
Use the angle of your wire to determine what speed to go not your plotter (tides/currents).
Change your speed if it is not working, when in doubt speed up, you will cover more ground hence find more fish/bait to work.
Turn often and take note of which side gets bites, if it is the high side speed up, if it is the low side slow down.
Periodically put the boat in neutral and let the lines settle. ( don't do this if you are already hugging bottom over rockpiles )
Periodically speed up and raise the lines in the water column.
Get gear you have faith in and learn to use it properly. Different flashers, spoons, and plugs set up with different hooks and strength of leader will act differently. Learn how to fish "your" set up not the set up of the guy beside you. You need some old faithful, meat and potatoes, tried and true go to set ups. One line should always be one of your old faithfuls not a continuous rotations of experimental crap.
Buy good line, better swivels, and the best hooks ( keep em sharp! )
If you can't tie good knots use a crimping tool.
Try to set up your rig so the hook is at the back of the lure to avoid short bites that don't find the hook.
If you want to catch fish leave the booze at home, you are out fishing not partying.
Some days it really pays to get the gear in the water early.
You can learn things from just about anyone so keep your eyes and ears open.
And finally, the best time to go fishing is when you can.

A lot of great info here, I'm still learning as well and just wanted to say thanks. 1 question I had about patterns and book keeping. Do you compare your info from year to year or would you compare it on a 4year cycle . Thinking the salmon from one area will likely like the same as their predecessors?

Back