Trying To Improve At Fishing. Please Help!

Stizzla

Crew Member
I do catch the odd fish. I’ve even hooked a couple of nice ones.
I am constantly looking to learn more to become a more consistently successful angler. I have a bounty of gear, but I need more knowledge.

Let me know if you know of a book that I can study.

Some things I’m looking to learn and understand more about are:
-slack tide vs slack current. What are the advantages? How is the behaviour of salmon affected by them?
-How to read current directions and use that to decide where to fish, and how to approach fishing an area at any given time. Also how to use structure to my advantage.

A couple of just curious questions:
-have salmon evolved? Do 70’s 80’s and 90’s lures still work on a 2018 fish? Or are they “smarter” now and can spot old technology the same way special effects in most movies has done to us.
Fun fact: Jurassic Park still looks damn good on the big screen.
- for those of you who have an in-line camera, are there often fish around, but you need to find the right presentation to entise a strike? I sometimes see arches right in the strike zone but don’t get bit. What percentage of fish see your bait/lure but don’t attack?

Anybody else have any other questions? They will get answered! That’s the beauty of www.sportfishingbc.com!

Thanks,
Stizzla

Think like a fish !
They don't have much cognitive power,
all they want is food and safety from predators.
look for places that have natural back eddy's.
Some will produce better on a flood, some on an ebb.
Know what they are feeding on and match it as closely as possible.
Talk to the guys that are catching, most will give you a tip or two.

I also take note of what worked that time of the year the year before. Take a note of how deep and what you caught them on and it’s worked again the the next year.

Just a few things I've learned that may be worth noting:

Don't be afraid to try new things. But don't change your gear every 10 minutes either, give it a chance to work.

Vary your speed, presentation.

If the fish aren't biting, they may not be there... Try somewhere else.

Don't fish landmark well known spots only. Fish are all over, not just where the fishing boats are concentrated.

Most important is get out there and try things. KEEP TRACK of what works where and when and on what tide and current...this is huge.

Tides are periodic rises and falls of large bodies of water. Tides are caused by the gravitational interaction between the Earth and the Moon. There for slack tide is when there is no rise or fall. Tide could be used to determine which side of a point to fish on.
Ocean currents are driven by wind, water density differences, and tides. Oceanic currents describe the movement of water from one location to another. Currents are generally measured in knots. Slack current would be no water movement. Current would be used to decide when to Halibut fish around here so your gear would sit on the bottom.

All summed up, currents and tides create water movement, and understanding how that movement causes fish to react dramatically increases your chances of success. The most important factor to remember with water movement is that fish want to conserve energy, so they rarely fight to swim against the current.(Consider this, would you rather walk up or down a long flight of stairs) That means fish swim with the water movement both offshore and inshore, or hang in eddies or behind structure such as points to escape flow.
During low tides, look for spots that trap or concentrate bait. If you can locate areas where baitfish are forced through a specific path on an outgoing tide, salmon wait in these spots. Time it right, and you can catch a bunch of fish in one spot quickly. With the right current and structure, sometimes you can find eddies. They’re a gigantic blender full of food, continually circling and churning around, occasionally throwing baitfish into the current where waiting fish take advantage. The same scenario occurs on a larger scale offshore in deeper waters. A presentation that utilizes the available water flow is usually a good one.
I have drifted with the current and had a dozen bites, while everybody else drove against the current and had none. Water flow helps predict where fish stage, which way they’re orienting, and where they’ll position for a prey to swim by, let the water movement work to your advantage.

Gotta spend one year fishing a **** tonne, learn all the timings of the runs. Then once you know that information you can go half as much and catch twice as much.

Hey stizzla, this was our best year of the past 4 years. Last 4 years combined we might have got 10 springs, this year between my wife and I we kept 27 springs and 2 coho. I made 3 or 4 changes chas year and am confident they are the reason we did so well. I changed the distance between flasher and lure, fished the tides and started to use smelly jelly. One other thing is I changed gear often if nothing was happening. All our fish came between 10 mile point and Mc Cauley point. Hope next year is better for you

Hey stizzla, this was our best year of the past 4 years. Last 4 years combined we might have got 10 springs, this year between my wife and I we kept 27 springs and 2 coho. I made 3 or 4 changes chas year and am confident they are the reason we did so well. I changed the distance between flasher and lure, fished the tides and started to use smelly jelly. One other thing is I changed gear often if nothing was happening. All our fish came between 10 mile point and Mc Cauley point. Hope next year is better for you
What was the change you made to your leader length?

I have nothing to contribute to this but I would like to thank the OP for starting it and others for sharing. I could have written the first post (except the second sentence) myself and I bet I'll learn some things in here!

The first sentence I could totally have written though. I do catch the odd fish. Only the odd ones. If it's odd, I've caught it. Would really like to switch to proper fish so I will take notes here.

Back