Trying To Improve At Fishing. Please Help!

Both! See if it stays successful at that spot and time year after year and see if it spikes in 4! Mark depth, current tide time and what lure/flasher/leader length worked knowledge is power!

Last edited:
Make sure all your stuff is in good working order, trailer, motors, electronics, riggers etc. You don't want down time when the bite is on.
Buy the best sounder/chartplotter you can afford. Make sure you learn how to use it.
Get a good pair of binoculars to see what is going on around you.
Use a good radio for any free info that might be around.
A few good fishing buddies that can catch fish and will give you timely and reliable reports can be very helpful.
Use the angle of your wire to determine what speed to go not your plotter (tides/currents).
Change your speed if it is not working, when in doubt speed up, you will cover more ground hence find more fish/bait to work.
Turn often and take note of which side gets bites, if it is the high side speed up, if it is the low side slow down.
Periodically put the boat in neutral and let the lines settle. ( don't do this if you are already hugging bottom over rockpiles )
Periodically speed up and raise the lines in the water column.
Get gear you have faith in and learn to use it properly. Different flashers, spoons, and plugs set up with different hooks and strength of leader will act differently. Learn how to fish "your" set up not the set up of the guy beside you. You need some old faithful, meat and potatoes, tried and true go to set ups. One line should always be one of your old faithfuls not a continuous rotations of experimental crap.
Buy good line, better swivels, and the best hooks ( keep em sharp! )
If you can't tie good knots use a crimping tool.
Try to set up your rig so the hook is at the back of the lure to avoid short bites that don't find the hook.
If you want to catch fish leave the booze at home, you are out fishing not partying.
Some days it really pays to get the gear in the water early.
You can learn things from just about anyone so keep your eyes and ears open.
And finally, the best time to go fishing is when you can.

It's all right here.

Stizzla,

I am still a relative newbie on here, only having fished Sooke (except for the odd rented boat elsewhere) for the past 9 years.

However, here is what I have learnt for the Sooke area.

- Braid is OK but make sure you have no nicks, cuts or rough edges on your pulleys or you WILL have sudden catastrophic breaks and loss of gear. Also remember you get more blow back with braid than wire. This makes sense since a wire is metal and much more dense/heavy than organic fibre. There are many threads on this forum on this topic.
- Getting the roll right is important. This is easier with smaller bait than larger which "flop around" a lot more. I have had some success recently with little 4" herring in a regular teaser head. However, as a general rule herring do not last as well as anchovies, and must be changed out more frequently (but not always -see below)
- It is easier to get a decent roll if the hook is not too big. A smaller hook will work as well or better since a finer wire can be made sharper, more easily. However, the wire must still be strong enough for the fish you are after.
- I believe it is all about location. The guides here in Sooke do fantastically well because they know from experience exactly where to go at any given time of day/tide. I do not have this knowledge and it is much more hit and miss for me. I just fish when I can and worry about the wind more than the state of the tide, since fishing in windy condition is hard. But that is O.K.
- I am sure the fish have evolved. I caught a nice 13lb coho a few years ago at 180'. This is a fish that used to be caught on bucktails on the surface in the 60's and 70's!! This again makes sense as fishing represents a selective pressure on the fish. Over the generations this will affect the behaviour of the surviving stocks, albeit slowly.
- Fish often hit on the turn, usually on the inside (as the bait/lure drops or slows) but not always.
- Even in summer, when fishing "in tight over structure" is not successful fishing deeper, almost winter tactics, close to the bottom in 120' - 150' of water will sometimes work. I once got a 17lb chinook at 160' in 200' of water in July, using a glow spoon as in winter.
- For me, teaser heads in purples, blue or greens work better than red or pinks (for chinook). There seems no need to use glo heads in summer fishing at 70' or less. I use glo heads in winter when deeper though.
- The bait roll/movement is much more important than what it looks like. Does not matter of it has blown out or looks "ragged". If it is moving/rolling OK it it IS OK! I caught a 13lb chinook in winter once on a herring which had been down for 2 hours. The skin was off in places and it looked "tatty" but it was still rolling each time I checked so I left it on. Sometimes the bait won't roll right unless you turn it "upside down" in the teaser head. This trick works fine so long as the roll is right. The fish does not care nor can it discern anything "wrong" about a rolling bait that is "upside down".
- I brine my anchovies but not my herring any more. Herring once dehydrated by brine absorb water much more more quickly and go soft and fall apart than when frozen fresh and used "as is".

Lastly watch the rods carefully for bites when pouring coffer, eating a sandwich or looking at other boats. Fish seem to know when you are not paying attention! Or at least they do for me!! LOL:)

Put a catheter in before leaving the ramp. There's no time to pee.
**** goes sideways most times I pee. Buddy turns to sharp or drives through a salad bar.
A rod goes off and there's no time to shake or put Stanley away.

Put a catheter in before leaving the ramp. There's no time to pee.
**** goes sideways most times I pee. Buddy turns to sharp or drives through a salad bar.
A rod goes off and there's no time to shake or put Stanley away.
TMI

I’ve got a GoPro video I won’t upload where I got a leaderboard fish in a derby because I was using the pee bucket and accidentally drifted over a super shallow reef where a big one was holding.

Total skill maneuver but video would be TMI.

Thanks for not attaching the video, but I have to agree... I seem to have a sandwich in my mouth or I'm leaning (gracefully, of course) over the gunwale most times when one or both rods go crazy.
So... Fishing tip number 483 would be "drink plenty of fluids". I can't count the number of sandwiches I've spat overboard or how many times I've zipped up before being completely finished.

I’ve got a GoPro video I won’t upload where I got a leaderboard fish in a derby because I was using the pee bucket and accidentally drifted over a super shallow reef where a big one was holding.

Total skill maneuver but video would be TMI.
I say show the video we're all family here.
Just blank out your junk if it's flopping around.

Forgot, if you find a high percentage location - work it as much as you can during the bite without cutting off other boats.

We practice the right hand rod to the rocks rule. Meaning if 2 boats approach from opposite directions, the guy who has his right or starboard side to the rock pile gets to stay on his tack and take the inside line/tack, and all others move out and pass on his port or left hand side. No conflicts that way and if everyone goes the same direction it helps sort it out fast. Nothing worse than some guy who always wants the inside tack on every pass, just because he thinks he can. Eventually, the others get pretty tired of that bs and push the greedy guy into the rocks. That doesn't mean that you can't make a mistake every now and then, but as general rule if we all practice the right hand rod to the rocks it would be a calmer fishery.

So for the West Vancouver shoreline the pack "should" always be circling in a counterclockwise rotation? Regardless of the tide/current direction or anything else?

I say show the video we're all family here.
Just blank out your junk if it's flopping around.
I’ve done this aswell in the sidney channel not paying attention frantically pulling up downriggers as I’m heading over a reef..... you can guess what reef not many in Sidney channel.... anyway as I’m almost hooking up on bottom by accident hit a 15lbs winter spring in late January. it was awsome one of the biggest winters I’ve caught in Sidney.

Lots of great advice here my 2cents would be pay attention to what works and where and what direction the tide is going and use it to your advandtage iE don’t fight it for two hours barely moving anywhere cover ground at the spot your fishing and within a hour or more no action and no signs of action you get the feeling trust me as others have said move. Sidney especially move to another spot as Sidney is a scattered out fishery and fish hold in diffrent spots at diffrent times. As others have said but this is especially critical in the winter as feeders are aggressive and move to where the bait is found. also when the spring/ summer runs of fish come in especially for Sidney fishing think about where the fish are coming from and where they are going.... like going to they’re home rivers they’re are a few options as to which runs come by Sidney at what times. SOG is important whether you look at angle of dangle or gps over ground make sure your going fast enough, one of the things I see with lots of newbies is they fish way too slowww. keep it above 1.5 knots if you can. obvs depending on what kind of presentation you are running but never bellow that as a target speed.

Cheers you’ve had a lot of good info here hope your success rate increases

I’ve done this aswell in the sidney channel not paying attention frantically pulling up downriggers as I’m heading over a reef..... you can guess what reef not many in Sidney channel.... anyway as I’m almost hooking up on bottom by accident hit a 15lbs winter spring in late January. it was awsome one of the biggest winters I’ve caught in Sidney.

Lots of great advice here my 2cents would be pay attention to what works and where and what direction the tide is going and use it to your advandtage iE don’t fight it for two hours barely moving anywhere cover ground at the spot your fishing and within a hour or more no action and no signs of action you get the feeling trust me as others have said move. Sidney especially move to another spot as Sidney is a scattered out fishery and fish hold in diffrent spots at diffrent times. As others have said but this is especially critical in the winter as feeders are aggressive and move to where the bait is found. also when the spring/ summer runs of fish come in especially for Sidney fishing think about where the fish are coming from and where they are going.... like going to they’re home rivers they’re are a few options as to which runs come by Sidney at what times. SOG is important whether you look at angle of dangle or gps over ground make sure your going fast enough, one of the things I see with lots of newbies is they fish way too slowww. keep it above 1.5 knots if you can. obvs depending on what kind of presentation you are running but never bellow that as a target speed.

Cheers you’ve had a lot of good info here hope your success rate increases
Wow Brett, you’re on a roll! Such good advice tailored to my needs.
Thanks a ton!

Back