True Auto Pilots for Outboards

profisher

Anyone else have a true auto pilot installed with an outboard application. I have a Comnav 1420 which originally came with a linear follower which are not reliable as they eventually have a seal failure and they suck sea water inside and fry the electronics. About 3 years ago I was told about a new option called a smart stick follower. Basically no moving parts and works with a magnet. It has worked flawlessly ever since. Anyone else who has had this problem should look into this solution. For those who are looking at a pilot...the advantage of this system is that a true pilot is designed to turn the main helm not just the kicker, like the TR-1 units. On my boat the pilot turns both the main and the kicker together when I'm trolling so it can hold a coarse even in the worst JDF winds and currents.

Is this a feasible option for a 21' boat with a 150hp main and kicker or is it overkill for my boat. Still thinking about doing some work possibly podding this winter and thinking this may make the boat more difficult to turn with the TR1. It can be a bit of a kite in the wind already and difficult to turn the one way. Podded will make it worse. I like the idea of the main motor turning with the kicker. I have the Seastar steering. What would it cost to set up a full auto pilot?

For your 21 -- might want to take a look at RemoteTroll. These units combine the kicker bracket and a remote steering function. They have apparently developed an auto-pilot for their current model (spoke to the owner in November) that is to be released shortly. Relatively inexpensive solution when compared to the TR-1 units as it combines the bracket and steering without need a bunch of adapters -- works with any kicker. http://remotetroll.com/index.php/models

Do yourself a favour and get the real autopilot that will run both the main and kicker. More money to buy the 2nd cylinder for the kicker and the valve but the control and reliability makes it a great system. Like I mentioned in the first post go for the "smart stick' over a linear follower and ask for the quietest pump motor you can get. The Comnav 1420 has worked well for me. Comnav is the number 1 unit found on most commercial boats and manufactured in Vancouver.

Do yourself a favour and get the real autopilot that will run both the main and kicker. More money to buy the 2nd cylinder for the kicker and the valve but the control and reliability makes it a great system. Like I mentioned in the first post go for the "smart stick' over a linear follower and ask for the quietest pump motor you can get. The Comnav 1420 has worked well for me. Comnav is the number 1 unit found on most commercial boats and manufactured in Vancouver.

That being the case, I could sell my TR1, who should I contact that can bring me up to speed on what I need for all the parts to get this done. Any ballpark ideas on what rigging this up could cost. I obviously dumped a few bucks on the TR1 so I was prepared to spend a few bucks on getting something that works. I'd rather deal with a Canadian company, We need to support own own economy too.

For your 21 -- might want to take a look at RemoteTroll. These units combine the kicker bracket and a remote steering function. They have apparently developed an auto-pilot for their current model (spoke to the owner in November) that is to be released shortly. Relatively inexpensive solution when compared to the TR-1 units as it combines the bracket and steering without need a bunch of adapters -- works with any kicker. http://remotetroll.com/index.php/models

Thanks Tenmile but this might not be an option in my case. My 9.9 is non power tilt so is mounted on a panther tilt unit.

I bought mine from Victoria Marine Electric long ago. I think they are still Comnav dealers.

I'll contact the manufacturer direct and see where that leads me. They don't have much in the way of a site.

Rotron on Granville island may have what you need. I was looking into auto last month and I believe they mentioned comnav.

There are many options would be easy to install yourself and you can get one for around 2.5k and up, I may buy your tr1 if you want to sell it.

Raymarine ev 200 This would be a good unit for you

That Raymarine 2000 at first glance looks pretty nice. I need to check to see if any of these have a wireless control option, something I could have at the back of the boat when playing a fish. That or I guess i could pickup a second one. So am I correct in thinking you just can't tie the engines together with an ez steer bar and contol the main with the autopilot? I've got some reading up to do. Likely a winter project for me. I'll keep you in mind JAC if you're still interested.

Yes you hook your 2 motors together and the autopilot will turn both if them. This make them work a lot better as you then have 2 rudders in the water. Also these autopilot can be used at Cruz speed so that's a can feature also

I noticed on the system Profisher mentioned a second cylinder and valve for the kicker. So is that just better than having the two engines tied together with the ez steer bar or is there a reason why the comnav shouldn't be linked with the tie bar.

Having both engine steer together is the way to go!!! Much more control

Oh for sure that's what I'm after just not sure on the reason to have the two engines steering together using an extra cylinder and valve instead of a rod. Both ways they are steering together just, if I'm understanding it right a different apparatus performing the link between the two engines.

Back