Truck Tires

I put a set of Michelin LTX defender on my truck just over a year ago. Can’t say enough good things about them. My old man has been in the tire business for over 40 years, they service mainly the logging industry. He says it is hands down the best tire out there. Everyone thinks they need aggressive AT/MT tires.. they’re terrible in the rain and the snow, it is all about the sipes.

Car tires......definitely not a truck tire

Depends on the truck. They will do a half ton just fine and the ride is better than LT for sure.
245/55R18 103W
max load 1929 lb, up to 168 mph
or
255/40R19 100V XL
max load 1800 lb, up to 149 mph
or
245/40R20 99W XL
max load 1709 lb, up to 168 mph

Tires are just one of those things everybody has had bad experiences and good experiences

I avoid Michelin like the Plague, as I had two Michelin tires separate on my Silverado 1500 a fews years back. Will never buy them again

put a set of Michelin LTX defender on my truck just over a year ago. Can’t say enough good things about them. My old man has been in the tire business for over 40 years, they service mainly the logging industry. He says it is hands down the best tire out there. Everyone thinks they need aggressive AT/MT tires.. they’re terrible in the rain and the snow, it is all about the sipes.

Tires are just one of those things everybody has had bad experiences and good experiences

I avoid Michelin like the Plague, as I had two Michelin tires separate on my Silverado 1500 a fews years back. Will never buy them again

Yeah, I agree with your observation. I appreciate when somebody - like you - state your opinion and the reason why. Things like " xyz tires suck! " are useless without explanation.

My pick for tires for a half-ton are the BFG KO2s. I had Duratracs before and they were physically larger, despite being the same size - 285/70/17. The Duratracs had a very loud hum that became a howl on the highway...I only used them for 1500km before replacing them with KO2s. The Duratracs were also 4lbs heavier each and you really felt it in terms of acceleration/braking.

I went with Michelin P rated tires on my Tundra, and while they are quiet and I am perfectly happy with them, I do regret not going with a 10-ply - while I am not off pavement very often, when I am I often wonder how well they will hold up should I hit some nasty jagged rock.

We went to San Joseph Bay with these tires and had zero problems, and that road is notoriously bad - but our friend we were caravanning with, also had P rated tires on his F150 and he got *3* flats on the way back. Turned that trip into quite the story especially considering Tundras have a different bolt pattern than F150's so my spare was of no help to him - but that's for another thread! His misfortune though did have me questioning my choice in tires. If I had a time machine I would spend the extra couple hundred bucks and go with something more rugged.

Considering they have a life span of 120,000 KM's or something like that, I still have 100,000 to go before I likely need to replace them!

Funny thing. For every brand there are people who got garbage and people who got diamonds. I have bought Michelin tires for most vehicles, always, and have had zero problems with any The one time I bought Bridgestone I had to have two of them warrantied.

Yeah, I agree with your observation. I appreciate when somebody - like you - state your opinion and the reason why. Things like " xyz tires suck! " are useless without explanation.

My pick for tires for a half-ton are the BFG KO2s. I had Duratracs before and they were physically larger, despite being the same size - 285/70/17. The Duratracs had a very loud hum that became a howl on the highway...I only used them for 1500km before replacing them with KO2s. The Duratracs were also 4lbs heavier each and you really felt it in terms of acceleration/braking.

So you do a lot of off-roading in muddy conditions I’m guessing?

Put on a set Of Falken Wildpeaks AT3W in September on the Chev 1500 and so far, great tire. Had them out for a week of moose hunting and the only complaint is they throw some stones. Great in the mud and gravel. Now were are having crazy weather with 6" of snow and -2 for a couple days, then +14 and peace gumbo and now back to -7 and freezing rain. The truck and tires handled the heavy wet snow with no issues (have 250 lbs in the back on the wheel wells), handles the gumbo pretty good (not a mud tire, but tire spin will clean them) and so far has been ok on the ice (no tire is great on ice)

They are the only true AT I liked that has an 90,000 km Limited Tread Life Warranty on all sizes. All sizes is important. I run LT265/70R17 121.

Will see how they do this winter hunting, ice fishing and backcountry exploring.

Cheers

SS

I wanted a tire that didn't create that "hum" described but something good for me hunting , I too had hercules,duratracs,and some lower end brands . the first time I had them was coming home from calgary hit bad snow in rogers pass and those coopers were great , thats what impressed me both, but whats impressed me most is the way they are wearing at the km on them so far and to have that much thread .ill probally get another 35 k on them and for a truck tire to last 6 or 7 years thats impressive...

Anyone else notice their michelin tires dry rotting before they "expire"? I've had 2 bad experiences so far.

Have BF Goodrich KO2's on my truck, 265/75R16 10 ply. I doubt I'll buy them again. Good traction, roll smooth and well made. With a manual transmission the rolling resistance and extra weight is really noticeable over other tires I've run. Using more fuel and going through brakes quicker for no real gain. Price is getting way up there too, I need a new spare and a matching one makes sense.. nearly $400 for one tire mounted and balanced after tax. :eek:

Well I went a different direction today. Put on Revelo Ridge track A/Ts intead of usual BF Goodrich. First impression is the ride is nice and quiet for a 10 ply tire.

I'm using Cooper M+S as a winter tire for highway, gravel and bush driving. Best damn tire I've ever felt under my truck. I've got a set of Cooper AT3's that are not in the same grade as these M+S.

You may also want to look at Falken - Wildpeak A/T. I've got them on my tacoma. Much quieter and better handling than the duratrac I had on before these. 20,000 km's so far - no issues. 40% less cost than the duratrac and the BFG ATs. Really happy with them so far.

Back